Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is #TeamsLikeBrighton a thing of the past?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has it run its course?

Are we now widely seen as a decent side, difficult to beat as opposed to a plucky minnow punching above their weight amongst giants of the game such as Leeds, Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham?

Maybe it can be (if it hasn't already) repurposed to mean a very well run club, largely trying to do things the right way in a patient and sustainable manner capable of achieving long-term success.

Discuss (if you can be arsed)...

Last edited:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Looks like these guys have noticed that Brighton needs to be taken seriously (start talking about Brighton at 2:30 into the video)

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We’re very tentatively moving towards Leicester City/West Ham performance status, but even as regards that, it’s really far too early to start making such proclamations.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes. One thing from looking at LFC Twitter on the Caicedo rumours is that the more sensible posters recognise that we’ve got a realistic chance of qualifying for Europe.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Chris Sutton’s prediction for tomorrow does indicate that at least he thinks we’re a serious top half EPL outfit. I’d wager most Arsenal fans who were at the Emirates for our last two matches there would agree too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has it run its course?

Are we now widely seen as a decent side, difficult to beat as opposed to a plucky minnow punching above their weight amongst giants of the game such as Leeds, Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham?

Maybe it can be (if it hasn't already) repurposed to mean a very well run club, largely trying to do things the right way in a patient and sustainable manner capable of achieving long-term success.

Yes, I think it has.

We've gone from being another one of those "what do they think they're doing in the Premier League" clubs that no big six fan remembers being anything other than small fry, to being intelligently discussed as real top ten and possible European place contenders by pretty much any pundit with a modicum of respectability. We've stuck in the league, got players who were excellent at the world cup, replaced the Lighthouse Keeper with a better coach and are even scoring some goals this season.

In fact, I hope we soon draw either Sheffield Wednesday ( :lolol: ) or the Pompey Twats in a cup so that we can post "should be beating teams like......"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Football Weekly spent 'part II' discussing the top 4 places.
The Albion were liberally mentioned, (Chelsea written off)

Baz GD is seriously impressed with de Zerbi, expecting a win tomorrow.

Suddenly NYE is drenched in 'Villa Trap Game' vibes.

Nah, no more radars, for the time being.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To large extent, yes. There's obviously going to be some very outdated and ignorant people putting Brighton in the same category as a bunch of clueless yo-yo clubs but I think most are aware by now that the club/team is stronger and smarter than most.

It takes time for a clubs status to change... I still hear a lot about the "big 6", ignoring that Newcastle is very much up there.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
To be honest, it doesn't really bother me, as long as we keep beating them. In fact kind of enjoy it, I find it funny.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No. #teamslikebrighton will always be a turn of phrase used to talk about a subset of teams that are similar to us in whatever current standing we have. Perhaps some people will be a little less sensitive about it being used when it isn't used to indicate a lower division team expected to struggle due to a combination of experience levels and budget as an indicator of player quality/lack of indepth knowledge of the newly promoted teams in other fans/pundits.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Has it run its course?

I'm not sure. Was watching a saints fan video yesterday and the two goons fronting it were full of 'teamslikebrighton' and 'winnablegame'.

I don't mind it personally. The American military industrial complex spend a lot of money designing things that evade radars for very good reason.

Stealth is the way forward.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, but the status of clubs using it has gone up.

Where once it was West Ham, Villa and Everton, now it’s City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Looking forward to “nous devrions battre des équipes comme Brighton” on PSG Twitter soon.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Pundits are continually singing our praises right now.

We are regarded as a well run football club, an established Premier League side, a great footballing side, a difficult side to beat, and one of the top teams in the division.

However the 'teamslikebrighton' comments we do still get are related to keeping our best players. Pundits love to comment that all our best players will leave us soon enough... and sadly, that's probably true enough... for now.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Looks like these guys have noticed that Brighton needs to be taken seriously (start talking about Brighton at 2:30 into the video)

As nice as it is to hear nice things they may be the two most clueless football fans I've ever heard. Southampton scored from a 'penalty kick back'

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Teams like Brighton is a well worn pundit wet dream, now done to death.
They'll have to think long (1 second) and hard, to come up with something that sums us up, now we're sitting on top of London clay

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I wonder why so many of our fans get fixated about what others think. There was a FB post after last game moaning that Lineker and Co went on only about how crap Southampton were. Isn't that a back-handed compliment, taking for granted that Brighton are a good side, so it doesn't need saying? And, frankly, the Amazon commentary was by contrast OTT in its eulogizing of Albion, and not pointing how crap Saints were.

My reaction to these 'concerns', shall we call them, is 'WTF does it matter'? Are we more/less likely to beat Arsenal or anyone else if opposing fans drop 'Teams like Brighton'? I don't think there is a PL manager who would even think it, which is what really counts.

PS: remember that 11 year old Swansea supporter who was giving it some on R5L after we beat them 1-0 in first season, including the TLB phrase? It was vintage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here