Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish Tri Colour at Brighton Council offices

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Look forward to seeing the the cross of St George hanging there in April!!!

walked down along the thames on sunday with the wife, you should have seen the events and music tents in trafalgar square.Thousands of people enjoying themselves at our expense (London taxpayer). Im not bitter (a little perhaps) just a little irritated (a lot perhaps) that we dont get the same Privilege in our own country...........Am i wrong ?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If people really wanted to make something out of St George's Day then they would. I'm all for it - but it's not enough for people to just grumble that it doesn't happen. It won't if you won't make it happen.

It's a bit like having a rant when stuck in a traffic jam - don't complain about the traffic, you are the traffic. In this case, don't complain about the apathy, you are the apathy.

(this is not a pop at either of the two previous posters)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If people really wanted to make something out of St George's Day then they would. I'm all for it - but it's not enough for people to just grumble that it doesn't happen. It won't if you won't make it happen.

It's a bit like having a rant when stuck in a traffic jam - don't complain about the traffic, you are the traffic. In this case, don't complain about the apathy, you are the apathy.

(this is not a pop at either of the two previous posters)

Very fair point but on the other hand a lot of us can remember the Brighton (or was it Hove) resident who got into trouble with the council for merely hanging a Cross of ST George out of his home's window. Yes we all know that the BNP and others have adopted the flag as 'theirs' and like the Confederate flag it has become associated with racist groups but you have to ask why it is people get discouraged to celebrate their own country's saint's day.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yep we have to get over "the flag thing" being hijacked by various groups. As bhaexpress mentioned the confederate flag does not only stand for the right wing. Rockabillies adopted the confederate flag because it stood for southern music which was performed by black & white artists and was a mixture of black blues and white hillbilly/country music. The flag was hijacked in the late 70s and early 80s by right wing groups in this country admittedly by some rockabillies.But it does not mean if you fly either flag you are a racist.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Very fair point but on the other hand a lot of us can remember the Brighton (or was it Hove) resident who got into trouble with the council for merely hanging a Cross of ST George out of his home's window. Yes we all know that the BNP and others have adopted the flag as 'theirs' and like the Confederate flag it has become associated with racist groups but you have to ask why it is people get discouraged to celebrate their own country's saint's day.
BNP was the Union Flag wasn't it? I don't go in for that theory anyway, I bet if you did a survey and asked people what they associated with the flag BNP and racism would be pretty low down the list. It is just an excuse that some sections of society use, whetn really they are ashamed of our history.
As for celebrating St Georges day, it helps if you have a large multinational drinks company giving away free hats and inflatables, as the paddies have found out, it reels in the students straight away.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As Billy the (drinks like a) Fish says, it helps if you have a recognisable national beverage that can fund and fuel all the bonhomie. As Oz & James May found out though, we can't even agree on what is our national beverage.

upnorthnow

Feb 4, 2004
SK13
Question is, will they fly the cross of St George on St George's Day?

Ask them - start a facebook group, write to the Argus demanding it - I totally agree with TRHK - we all need to do more. We accept/put up with too much in this country. The French farmers protest about imported beef by burning our lorries. The lorry drivers protest about ludicrous fuel charges by driving slowly round the M25!!!

My new years resolution was not to put up with things any more, particularly bureaucratic sh*t.if I'm not happy about something i try and do something about it. This is what i have been encouraging other people to do. When someone says they can't do something because of health and safety rules i ask them to show what H&S rules they are referring to (they normally can't show me because there are no rules for it they are just trying to get out of doing it) My favourite hate "data protection" the amount of times that is quoted as a reason for not being able to do something, so i have read up on data protection and can show these asses up when they try that line with me. The government/councils are elected by us yet we put up with so much boll*cks simply because we can't be arsed to do anything about it or even challenge it.

If you won't try and change it, don't moan about it. [aimed at everyone, not chicken run in particular]

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I thought Boris had cut the funding for the St Paddys Day parade after this years?

Kens Sickening Terrorist Love Ins of the Eighties combined with his overwhelming desire to turn a 2000 year old city with its own culture into f***ing New York, for some reason, bought us here. It will not last.

No one in England outside of Cricklewood Broadway knew when St Patricks Day was 20 years ago, much like St Georges Day.

I am no leftie but it saddens me this clamour for a St Georges Day parade and going 'oh they've got one Miss where's ours?' is a sign of our decline more than anything. Anyone over 30 will remember that you never saw a St Georges flag about except on churches, even only very rarely at England matches.

Time for us to grow a backbone once again. Its this wingey 'oh they have melas and that' while rolling over and getting shagged up the arse and not doing anything when home grown British terrorists blow up your countrymen in your capital city, while moaning about flags, worries me far more than a council with a Proven Track Record for idiocy doing something a bit stupid, unsurprisingly.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
EVERY SINGLE YEAR there is a binfest on NSC about St Patrick's Day.

I've been posting on here for 5 years and reading it for longer. In all that time i bet most of the people on here who moan have done precisely nothing to make St George's Day a better 'celebration' than it currently is.

Quit moaning and do something about it. Apathy isn't the only reason why St George's Day gets so little attention (can't be bothered to go into my own theories, i'm not here for that debate), but it is a major reason.

Meanwhile, Happy St Patrick's Day everyone :drink::drink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ask them - start a facebook group, write to the Argus demanding it - I totally agree with TRHK - we all need to do more. We accept/put up with too much in this country. The French farmers protest about imported beef by burning our lorries. The lorry drivers protest about ludicrous fuel charges by driving slowly round the M25!!!

My new years resolution was not to put up with things any more, particularly bureaucratic sh*t.if I'm not happy about something i try and do something about it. This is what i have been encouraging other people to do. When someone says they can't do something because of health and safety rules i ask them to show what H&S rules they are referring to (they normally can't show me because there are no rules for it they are just trying to get out of doing it) My favourite hate "data protection" the amount of times that is quoted as a reason for not being able to do something, so i have read up on data protection and can show these asses up when they try that line with me. The government/councils are elected by us yet we put up with so much boll*cks simply because we can't be arsed to do anything about it or even challenge it.

If you won't try and change it, don't moan about it. [aimed at everyone, not chicken run in particular]
Thank you for your insperation the below was just sent to the city council tourism section!

Great to see the Irish Tri Colour flying today at your offices on Hove seafront, can you confirm that you will be flying the cross of St George on St George's day?

kind regards

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
EVERY SINGLE YEAR there is a binfest on NSC about St Patrick's Day.

I've been posting on here for 5 years and reading it for longer. In all that time i bet most of the people on here who moan have done precisely nothing to make St George's Day a better 'celebration' than it currently is.

Quit moaning and do something about it. Apathy isn't the only reason why St George's Day gets so little attention (can't be bothered to go into my own theories, i'm not here for that debate), but it is a major reason.

Meanwhile, Happy St Patrick's Day everyone :drink::drink:

I agree, I wasnt looking to debate the binfest that is St Patrick's Day, no I was asking the simple question will the Council fly the Cross of St George and you will see from the post above I have now asked the question!!

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I agree, I wasnt looking to debate the binfest that is St Patrick's Day, no I was asking the simple question will the Council fly the Cross of St George and you will see from the post above I have now asked the question!!

Yep fair enough.

For the record i'm suprised the Council are flying the tricolour. I mean, Brighton doesn't exactly have a large Irish community compared to other english towns/cities (as far as i know), and i can't imagine that any Brighton Irish would be offended by it not being flown either! I certainly wouldn't be, although i appreciate the effort.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Does Brighton have a large Irish Community? I can understand councils such as Coventry, Birmingham and Liverpool flying the Irish flag but Brighton?

Also the Labour council in Sandwell withdrew its support for its famous St Georges day. Well thats a surprise

Ok ... let's get binfesting.

Why, oh why, oh why is the Irish national flag flying over Hove Town Hall today? What's wrong with the flag of St Patrick?

ie-stpat.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here