Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish Tri Colour at Brighton Council offices

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Ok ... let's get binfesting.

Why, oh why, oh why is the Irish national flag flying over Hove Town Hall today? What's wrong with the flag of St Patrick?

ie-stpat.gif

Heheh, you old stirrer you.

I suspect its because most people wouldn't recognise the flag! Its a good point though, there are plenty of people, particularly in/from Northern Ireland, who would 'celebrate' St Patrick's Day but have no association with the tricolour.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I hope they fly the Canadian flag on July 1st.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Heheh, you old stirrer you.

I suspect its because most people wouldn't recognise the flag! Its a good point though, there are plenty of people, particularly in/from Northern Ireland, who would 'celebrate' St Patrick's Day but have no association with the tricolour.

oh do behave, most people would not recognise it. f***ing hell how patronising can you get. I would think a lot of people would have a good knowledge of the constituent flags of the union jack, and I would wager that more of the 'right wingers' would recognise it than the groovy gang.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As a young lad I used to notice the flag of St George flying over The Good Shepherd church on St George's Day and it used to give me a little thrill of excitement. I had no idea why and still don't really, but as most on NSC would testify (otherwise they wouldn't be on NSC) there is a deep satisfaction in belonging - and I guess that's why I liked to see 'our' flag flying on the church.

It was my Dad who used to raise the flag and sadly he died 10 years ago now, but I hope they still do raise the flag. The GS is a very visible tower in Brighton.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
oh do behave, most people would not recognise it. f***ing hell how patronising can you get. I would think a lot of people would have a good knowledge of the constituent flags of the union jack, and I would wager that more of the 'right wingers' would recognise it than the groovy gang.

I recognised it :lolol:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I had you in mind mate. i am just waiting for some other smart alec to tread on the mine in my post now.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It must be my computer then because all i can see is a white rectagle with a vey very pale blue cross ????

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

Calm down mate, we've already had one person on here not recognise it (Chicken Run).

And whats your point about the right-wingers recognising it before the groovy gang?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
It always makes me smile when the PC crowd go on about the Union flag and The cross of St George being associated with the far right. No mention of the Irish Tricolour being associated with the IRA

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
FFS. We had people enjoying themselves on the beach yesterday and now to cap it all we have people enjoying themselves in broad daylight, and in our capital city too if you please.

Some if these people may well have been foreign. It has got to stop. Full marks to NSC to managing to get in a rant about terrorists and lefties, but why oh why is the EU getting off so lightly?

Where is this going to end? Probably with fortnightly bin collections if we are not careful.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Calm down mate, we've already had one person on here not recognise it (Chicken Run).

And whats your point about the right-wingers recognising it before the groovy gang?

I am calm mate its just my way. Its not a pop.

My point is that I bet (without any evidence to back this up) that people who have right wing tendencies may have more awareness of the make up of the flag. No proof, just speculation.

If, however, everyone knows what it is (like we were all taught at junior school)then it should not be hilariously obscure should it?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
walked down along the thames on sunday with the wife, you should have seen the events and music tents in trafalgar square.Thousands of people enjoying themselves at our expense (London taxpayer). Im not bitter (a little perhaps) just a little irritated (a lot perhaps) that we dont get the same Privilege in our own country...........Am i wrong ?

Yep, you're wrong. There's been a St George's Day parade/food festival/free music in London for the past six years. Oh, and I wonder who the mayor was at the time of its inception?

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
St Paddys day makes no diffrence to my life whatsoever, what bothers me (albeit only very slightly) is most of them duckeggs tonight with them stupid Guiness hats on, who think the capital of Ireland Is Rekjavik, won't be able to tell you when St Georges day is.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I am calm mate its just my way. Its not a pop.

My point is that I bet (without any evidence to back this up) that people who have right wing tendencies may have more awareness of the make up of the flag. No proof, just speculation.

If, however, everyone knows what it is (like we were all taught at junior school)then it should not be hilariously obscure should it?

Ok sure.

And you might be right about the recognition of the flag, and who might be more likely to recognise it. I've got no real opinion on that.

My opinion on the flag of St Patrick is that most english or english of irish descent people my age (around 30) wouldn't recognise it.

Anyway, i don't even think we're disagreeing with each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here