Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish Tri Colour at Brighton Council offices

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ok sure.

And you might be right about the recognition of the flag, and who might be more likely to recognise it. I've got no real opinion on that.

My opinion on the flag of St Patrick is that most english or english of irish descent people my age (around 30) wouldn't recognise it.

Anyway, i don't even think we're disagreeing with each other.

very true mate. I am not. Just enjoying the binfest.

People over your age grew up watching England games with everyone carrying union jacks to the game.

Flags are bollocks. Look at the white saffas. The fuss they made about getting rid of the old one. All the horrible afrikaners in London now drive round with the new one on their bumpers. 3rd 4th generation carribean kids drive round with Trinidad Bermuda or Jamaica stickers on their car and they have been there once to visit their aunt.

You should be round my way when an African team is playing in the world cup. The white van man with a st georges cross clipped to his roof is far outdone by the same for Ghana or Nigeria.

Look at last night of the proms and the muppets taking cornish flags. f*** me we have an identity crisis. I wonder what brought that on?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
very true mate. I am not. Just enjoying the binfest.

People over your age grew up watching England games with everyone carrying union jacks to the game.

Flags are bollocks. Look at the white saffas. The fuss they made about getting rid of the old one. All the horrible afrikaners in London now drive round with the new one on their bumpers. 3rd 4th generation carribean kids drive round with Trinidad Bermuda or Jamaica stickers on their car and they have been there once to visit their aunt.

You should be round my way when an African team is playing in the world cup. The white van man with a st georges cross clipped to his roof is far outdone by the same for Ghana or Nigeria.

Look at last night of the proms and the muppets taking cornish flags. f*** me we have an identity crisis. I wonder what brought that on?
I agree with all of the above and i think the council set an iritating precedent flying another country's flag!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, I thought the whole point of this thread was Chicken Run's doubts over whether the city council would fly the St George's flag on St George's Day?

They do, they always have, and I'm sure they will this year. So it's not really a debate, is it?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hmmm, I thought the whole point of this thread was Chicken Run's doubts over whether the city council would fly the St George's flag on St George's Day?

They do, they always have, and I'm sure they will this year. So it's not really a debate, is it?

Quite right of course and when the council email me back we can close the thread cant we lol

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
walked down along the thames on sunday with the wife, you should have seen the events and music tents in trafalgar square.Thousands of people enjoying themselves at our expense (London taxpayer). Im not bitter (a little perhaps) just a little irritated (a lot perhaps) that we dont get the same Privilege in our own country...........Am i wrong ?

Since when were events in Trafalgar square paid for the taxpayer. The place is available for hire isn't it ?

You'll see that most those events are quite visibly sponsored in some capacity.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I am surprised we got to page three before it was mentioned. It might as well fly the whole time to be honest.

St James Street looks like a gay Shankill Road now.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
oh do behave, most people would not recognise it. f***ing hell how patronising can you get. I would think a lot of people would have a good knowledge of the constituent flags of the union jack, and I would wager that more of the 'right wingers' would recognise it than the groovy gang.
Well speaking as a Leftie I recognised it! And I think ignorance of what it symbolises (the union of England, Scotland and Ireland) is more a right-wing thing than a left-wing one as left-wing people tend to be better educated (that's why they're left wing). For example you still get pea-brained twats who take union flags to England games! When questioned they have no idea that it doesn't actually represent 'England', they do it because they've seen other people do it in the past.

As a leftie I have no objection to people who want to fly St George's flags on St George's Day, or Union flags on the queen's birthday - my only gripe is that having a flag the represents the union of England, Scotland and IRELAND (and ignores Wales as it's just a principality) is a tad out of date.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Well speaking as a Leftie I recognised it! And I think ignorance of what it symbolises (the union of England, Scotland and Ireland) is more a right-wing thing than a left-wing one as left-wing people tend to be better educated (that's why they're left wing). For example you still get pea-brained twats who take union flags to England games! When questioned they have no idea that it doesn't actually represent 'England', they do it because they've seen other people do it in the past.

As a leftie I have no objection to people who want to fly St George's flags on St George's Day, or Union flags on the queen's birthday - my only gripe is that having a flag the represents the union of England, Scotland and IRELAND (and ignores Wales as it's just a principality) is a tad out of date.

oooh controversial.

You are talking absolute rubbish about union flags at England games. The meaning of the Union Flag was (and sttill is in many parts of the world) shorthand for England to many people. English people have been made to recognise this is no longer the case, some take Union flags for other reasons than being 'pea brained twats' who dont know that its not the 'English flag'. Do you really think that sitting in a stadium outnumbered 100 to 1 by st georges flags you would not suss?

Dont be silly.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

First paragarah: Are "Leftie's" born or taught to be patronising?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

No, but people like to get upset these things. Why let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I prefer this one

Attachments

• 800px-Flag_of_the_Irish_Blueshirts_svg.png
    800px-Flag_of_the_Irish_Blueshirts_svg.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 96

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
oooh controversial.

You are talking absolute rubbish about union flags at England games. The meaning of the Union Flag was (and sttill is in many parts of the world) shorthand for England to many people. English people have been made to recognise this is no longer the case, some take Union flags for other reasons than being 'pea brained twats' who dont know that its not the 'English flag'. Do you really think that sitting in a stadium outnumbered 100 to 1 by st georges flags you would not suss?

Dont be silly.
I'm not being silly! The union flag might indeed by shorthand for 'England' in other parts of the world, I can't help their ignorance, but I would expect people in this country to know about their flag and what it represents - surely that's one of the things you right-wingers bang on about that immigrants don't know anything about this country or its history?

And as for people who take union flags to England games for 'other reasons' - well words fail me. What 'other reasons'? Perhaps 'pea-brained twats' was being a little kind ...

PS - Good binfest! :thumbsup:

Chicken Run - No, it's nothing to do with acts of birth or being taught anything. We're not patronising, just intelligent. Oh and it's Lefties, not Leftie's. which is a singular possessive. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here