Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 4 v HTC desire

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I know someone who has the Xperia but is desperate to get an HTC Desire.

It's all personal preference.

I have been using my Desire for many months now and would rate it as 7/10. A few niggly things that just hold it back from being properly great

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Everywhere I go at work, it's iphone this and iPhone that! It's driving me nuts. I want a smart phone and having casually looked up both iPhone 4 and HTC desire on the www, I am drawn to the latter.

Which, out of these two mini-computers, would you go for and why?

I've gone for the Samsung Galaxy S, light, clear and easy to use, I'm in my fifties so needed a really user friendly phone and am not disappointed, Samsung at it's best

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm going to get the Samsung Galaxy S when I upgrade next month. It's got the lot. The only downside- no flash on the camera.

HTC have a press conference tomorrow, apparently.

If they announce a UK launch for the DesireHD and it is specced as per the rumours, it will be awesome.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had a Wildfire for a couple of days now, and from what I can see, it blows the iPhone 4 out the water in every aspect other than the music player, obviously.

Dunno if it blows iPhones out of the water, but its certainly a lovely bit of kit.
Couple of things I havn't figured out yet though.

1. I've downloaded an excellent free ringtone app. When I download a ringtone from it, gives me an option there and then to allocate it as my default ringtone, no bother. However, if I switch the phone off (ie completely power off, not standby), when I switch it back on, that ringtone is still held on the SD card memory, but is no longer allocated as my default ringtone, and is no longer in my ringtone list (although strangely its still in my Notification Sound list for texts). I'm BUGGERED if I can find a way to re-allocate it as my ringtone without downloading the damn thing again.

2. I have no clue how to send a ringtone to another phone via Bluetooth. The option just does not seem to be there.

Really pleased with it overall, but it does have a couple of strange quirks I'm finding.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If you want your smart phone straight out of the box useable and your not that tech then the I phone is for you.

However if you want a greater degree of flexibility and customization and your prepared to invest the time in taming the beast then the Desire is your choice.

I have had a desire since June and I love it. With all smart phones battery maintenance is an issue. However there are ways to tweak settings. The Android market perhaps can't compare to the Apple app store at present. However it is growing at pace..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've finally sussed those two issues out, so you can all stop panicking now.

As you were.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I'm still trying to work out my issues and today is the day I can get my new phone

Issue: can I play and watch my iTunes library of film and music on htc desire?

If not I will probably plunge for the iPhone 4

Will soneone answer Mendoza's question FFS? The whole future of his media-whore and social existence hangs in the balance awaiting this decision. A wrong one and I fear for his mental well-being! :facepalm:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I'm still trying to work out my issues and today is the day I can get my new phone

Issue: can I play and watch my iTunes library of film and music on htc desire?

If not I will probably plunge for the iPhone 4

Yes, Yes and yes

you can plug your HTC into your computer and it appears as a external drive, you can then copy your music and films onto your SD card how ever you want.. You can download a free app called doubleTwist that can sync your iTunes straight to your HTC as well...

You can get a maximum 32Gb SD card for it but you can change them on the go so there's no limit to how much music and films you can carry about with you

:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good old Redland, can always rely on some good solid TECH advice.

While you're on, sir. I've synced my HTC with my laptop, but was getting into a terrible MUDDLE trying to transfer pictures from the laptop to the phone (I have some highly erotic Amex pics which I want to use as my phone wallpaper). I could browse the folders, but the JPG files wern't coming up so I couldn't get anything to transfer. Tried doing it via Picasa as well, but nothing doing. Any ideas ?

Yours,

A. Flid

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Good old Redland, can always rely on some good solid TECH advice.

While you're on, sir. I've synced my HTC with my laptop, but was getting into a terrible MUDDLE trying to transfer pictures from the laptop to the phone (I have some highly erotic Amex pics which I want to use as my phone wallpaper). I could browse the folders, but the JPG files wern't coming up so I couldn't get anything to transfer. Tried doing it via Picasa as well, but nothing doing. Any ideas ?

Yours,

A. Flid

are you coping them to your SD card ?? if so sounds like you need to unlock it first ..

In settings go to SD card and phone storage

hit 'unmount SD card'

copy files across

then 'mount SD card' from the same settings menu

this works fine for me !!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
HTC have a press conference tomorrow, apparently.

If they announce a UK launch for the DesireHD and it is specced as per the rumours, it will be awesome.

Catch it live here HTC event Live Blog if you wish Uncle ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here