Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 4 v HTC desire

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Everywhere I go at work, it's iphone this and iPhone that! It's driving me nuts. I want a smart phone and having casually looked up both iPhone 4 and HTC desire on the www, I am drawn to the latter.

Which, out of these two mini-computers, would you go for and why?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Everywhere I go at work, it's iphone this and iPhone that! It's driving me nuts. I want a smart phone and having casually looked up both iPhone 4 and HTC desire on the www, I am drawn to the latter.

Which, out of these two mini-computers, would you go for and why?

I have just bought an HTC legend (same as desire, slightly slower processor) and I love it. Works pretty much the same way as an Iphone, has 50,000 apps via Android marketplace and this will only grow as this is not exclusive to HTC.

They are much cheaper as well. You'll be able to get a free HTC desire for £25-£30 pm, instead of an Iphone 4 at £90 for the phone + a £40 p/m contract.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just discovered something very interesting about "smart phones".

I work in a building with very bad telephone reception,particularly Vodafone.

Everyone rushes to a window whenever their phone rings, if they managed to get a bar of reception if lucky.

My top of the range Nokia N900 struggles with reception as do the numerous IPhones that seem to be the phone of choice.

( Although is has much better wifi reception than the IPhone )

Anyway - I broken something on the N900 and have been using a very cheap basic Nokia a few years old. It pisses all over everything in terms of reception.

Unfortunately I lost it today and went to a Vodaphone shop to get the "cheapest things they had in the shop" so I could use that for a while.

Guess what ? The new 20 quid Nokia still pisses all over smart phones in terms of reception including the iphone.

I think it may be time for the manufacturers to concentrate on the core functionality, i.e. making and receiving a call.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looked at a HTC Hd2 yet ?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton

Everyone rushes to a window whenever their phone rings, if they managed to get a bar of reception if lucky.

My top of the range Nokia N900 struggles with reception as do the numerous IPhones that seem to be the phone of choice.

Anyway - I broken something on the N900 and have been using a very cheap basic Nokia a few years old. It pisses all over everything in terms of reception.

Unfortunately I lost it today and went to a Vodaphone shop to get the "cheapest things they had in the shop" so I could use that for a while.

Guess what ? The new 20 quid Nokia still pisses all over smart phones in terms of reception including the iphone.

I think it may be time for the manufacturers to concentrate on the core functionality, i.e. making and receiving a call.

Yeah, that's the same problem where I work. I have a Nokia 6700 currently and my reception is better than the majority of the iPhones.

Can't believe some of the stuff you can do on those phones though, we were watching the England game on one of them!

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
I've got a Desire and I love it thought the battery could be better. I've had a good play with the iPhone and I've got an iPod touch and I much prefer the Desire. Lightning quick and really easy to use.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No, is it available on 3?

Don't think so.

I'm with 3 at the moment too but have no particular network preference. When my contract is up I'll just look for the best deal to suit me. There's few rewards for brand loyalty these days it seems. Might stay with 3, might not.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Don't think so.

I'm with 3 at the moment too but have no particular network preference. When my contract is up I'll just look for the best deal to suit me. There's few rewards for brand loyalty these days it seems. Might stay with 3, might not.

3 to me are the best. They are cheap and the reception up here in Derby is always top. Not so good down Hangleton way though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
3 to me are the best. They are cheap and the reception up here in Derby is always top. Not so good down Hangleton way though.

Fair enough.

Looks like you'll be going for the Desire then.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mt brother has tried a number of HTC phones, and has decided he's had enough of them. Unreliable is his main beef, they break down, crash and generally frustrate. He is now totally happy with the Nokias with the full qwerty keyboards, not sure what they are called.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Love my HTC Legend. No probs whatsoever...easy to use, even makes phone calls! longer battery life than the Desire, and of course, its beautiful.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
these two phones seem to be the options on my upgrade this month.

Any more opinions on either phone since June?

I bought a Desire about a month back. Love it to bits, is very very quick and great display- only fault would be battery life but that is an issue with any smart phone as they just eat power. If you are able to charge it through the day (either using USB or mains) then it's not an issue. And if you know you won't be able to charge it, you can configure the settings to use less power easily.

Has all the standard software through apps as an iphone really, although the games market isn't quite up to scratch yet (but it will get there soon). Hardware I believe it beats the iphone, with a faster processor? For me another edge is the layout- where the iphone is merely one big menu, the Desire has a nice (and fully customisable) 7 home pages where you can either add program shortcuts, widgets (which are apps which work on the page such as news feeds, email, text messaging) or photos (or leave a couple of pages free to play with live wallpapers which is a novelty which never seems to die!)

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

And that's another reason not to spend money on a smart phone just yet along with Battey life. My Sony Eric still only needs charging once a week.
Everyone around me has smart phones too, but I have my trusty old Sony Eric Cybershot still going strong. The phone is now 3 years old, not let me down once. I just cant see what the point of a smart phone is at the moment. Eventually I will have to crack, but the longer I wait the more reliable and cheaper they will get and your correct about core functionality.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I do like the sound of the HTC
My main worries are
I download music etc from iTunes from my current iPhone (one before the 3GS) can I still do that on HTC

I have other accessories for my iPhone that will then become useless if I get a HTC (USB charger, Solar Power charger, docking port on hi fi)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here