Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You could do a David Gedge song quiz. For every Wedding Present/ Cinerama song named you would have a choice of a) In this song David Gedge cheats on somebody, b) In this song somebody cheats on David Gedge or c) In this song David Gedge ill advisedly writes about something else.

I have been toying with a Wedding Present lyrics quiz - maybe something like "Wedding Present lyric or line from a Carry On film?" or something equally frivolous. Felt lyric or Einstein quote: "You stand on your head too long and you'll just run out of breath."

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I got a dismal 7/41.......

Ha! My wife could do better than that because of all the droning on about the Fall she's had to put up with over the years. She really resents being forced to know things about stuff she's not interested in. I can forget all the crap she talks about instantly....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
18/25. Who knew that would be the most popular Close Lobsters track? Surprised by the Heavenly one, couldn't begin to guess the Chesterfields, would never have got the June Brides, don't like Veronica Falls much and can only name one Fuzzbox song.

I would say 18 is very respectable. you're the top scorer so far.

Re Close Lobsters: agree, don't know why this seems to be the most well-known. Heavenly: wouldn't be in my top five. Chesterfields: surely not? ??? Probably the only Chesterfields song most people who had ever heard of them could name? VF is a gimme if you know their oeuvre. HFHB: amazed if anyone gets that one...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I had to seek solace in your Famous Brighton Footballers one. 21/21 in 48 seconds. Bet [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] can't match THAT :jester:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Embarrassingly rubbish on both. And annoyed about the most popular Soup Dragons one. Nearly didn't type it in on PRINCIPLE.

Ha ha - I did that on purpose: I can imagine all the indie purists (like me), silently fuming....

I had to seek solace in your Famous Brighton Footballers one. 21/21 in 48 seconds. Bet [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] can't match THAT :jester:

That is SWIFT. Might have a go myself, although, clearly, I know all the answers to that one.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Famous Brighton footballers you say? Can you have a quiz with no answers?

Naughty, Staly. Still, most of the answers on that quiz had only a handful of appearances each and were almost pensioners when they joined us. I'd be interested in a Shrewsbury Town one though, when you've got time. Tomorrow, and I'm not joking, I'll put up "Least used railway stations in Sussex". I'm not a train spotter by any means, but I am intrigued by railway stations in the middle of nowhere where trains don't stop - it's the Hood fan in me. If I get a train to a match, I go through quite a few of them on the Marshlink line.

Flex Your Head

I would say 18 is very respectable. you're the top scorer so far.

Re Close Lobsters: agree, don't know why this seems to be the most well-known. Heavenly: wouldn't be in my top five. Chesterfields: surely not? ??? Probably the only Chesterfields song most people who had ever heard of them could name? VF is a gimme if you know their oeuvre. HFHB: amazed if anyone gets that one...

I managed a meagre 15. I stumbled on the same ones as [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION], plus the Wedding Present - too many to choose from and I gave up after 5, and the Jasmine Minks track which I had never heard of. Turns out I actually have a copy as it's on the NME C86 re-issue (disc 3).

The Close Lobsters track is on the CD86: 48 Tracks from the Birth of Indie Pop compo from a few years back which Bob Stanley compiled - probably the only track a lot of Last FMers have a digital version of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports