Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Just bought my tickets for new york pop fest. Very excited to see The Darling Buds.

That fireworks album sounds very good

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ok- which is the odd band out?

View attachment 63566

I used to have quite a collection of those things. They were the indie equivalent of Now That's What I Call Music.... You used to be able to pick them up for about 50p in Woolworths.

They went steadily downhill as the series progressed. Look at the track listing for volume 23:

Trash - Suede
What's in the box - Boo Radleys
From a window - Northern Uproar
Charmless man - Blur
Sale of the Century - Sleeper
Goldfinger - Ash
Your smile - Octopus
Tape loop - Morcheeba
Eat my goal - Collapsed Lung
Born slippy - Underworld
Goodnight - Baby Bird
Mouse in a hole - Heavy Stereo
Aim indeed - Pusherman
Talk to me - 60ft Dolls
Crabs - 18 Wheeler
Phasers on stun - Urusei Yatsura
Are you ready - Gyres
One in a million - Sussed
I'm doing fine - TC Hug
Andrex puppy love - Orange Deluxe

I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than listen to that. Honourable exemption for Urusei Yatsura I guess...

Flex Your Head

Ok- which is the odd band out?

Ciccone Youth as all the rest are British?

staly said:
They went steadily downhill as the series progressed. Look at the track listing for volume 23:

Trash - Suede
What's in the box - Boo Radleys
From a window - Northern Uproar
Charmless man - Blur
Sale of the Century - Sleeper
Goldfinger - Ash
Your smile - Octopus
Tape loop - Morcheeba
Eat my goal - Collapsed Lung
Born slippy - Underworld
Goodnight - Baby Bird
Mouse in a hole - Heavy Stereo
Aim indeed - Pusherman
Talk to me - 60ft Dolls
Crabs - 18 Wheeler
Phasers on stun - Urusei Yatsura
Are you ready - Gyres
One in a million - Sussed
I'm doing fine - TC Hug
Andrex puppy love - Orange Deluxe

I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than listen to that. Honourable exemption for Urusei Yatsura I guess...

Jeez, the mid to late 90's were something of an Indie wasteland, weren't they? Can't imagine what I was listening to back then; Ballboy? Helen Love? Bis? Bellend Sebastian?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ciccone Youth as all the rest are British?

Jeez, the mid to late 90's were something of an Indie wasteland, weren't they? Can't imagine what I was listening to back then; Ballboy? Helen Love? Bis? Bellend Sebastian?

Prolapse, Stereolab, Tindersticks, Hefner, Yummy Fur, Milky Wimpshake, Marine Research, Comet Gain, Lungleg, Arab Strap, Broadcast, Yo La Tengo.

But no, you're right. Relatively thin pickings compared to 10 years earlier.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I used to have quite a collection of those things. They were the indie equivalent of Now That's What I Call Music.... You used to be able to pick them up for about 50p in Woolworths.

Trash - Suede

I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than listen to that.

I quite like that one, to be fair :blush:

Flex Your Head

Prolapse, Stereolab, Tindersticks, Hefner, Yummy Fur, Milky Wimpshake, Marine Research, Comet Gain, Lungleg, Arab Strap, Broadcast, Yo La Tengo.

But no, you're right. Relatively thin pickings compared to 10 years earlier.

I think I was listening to a lot of the UK punk scene which was going through something of a renaissance at the time with bands like Travis Cut, Beauty School Dropout, Vanilla Pod, Skimmer, Servo, as well as a fair bit of American and Euro stuff - Dillinger 4, The Travoltas, the Stardumb roster and so on. My only exposure to indie stuff was through the Mark and Lard show when it used to have the 10 - 12 midnight weekday slot.
I'm familiar with most of the bands you list, but have records by less than half of them, and astonishingly (or so I'm told), I've still never knowingly heard Prolapse. Where would be a good starting point?

Flex Your Head

Be careful- there's a horrible American metal band called Prolapse too...

Thanks for the tip-off. In a similar vein, this bunch always raise a chuckle:

heavenly.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Flex Your Head

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
4 minutes :whistle:

I'd expect nothing less Staly.

I finished with 3 mins 20 secs to spare, although there was a lot of hopeful clicking for the last three or four bands. Good work; shared on Facebook too.

Thanks Murray: these quizzes could break the internet - three plays already this morning! If I get time at lunchtime today, I'll put up a couple more. Top 20 most played tracks by specific bands on last.fm ones are nice and easy - probably 15 minute jobs. Lots of mileage in them. Thinking also about a Felt lyrics quiz, and an a side/b side quiz, although that could be quite difficult. Suggestions welcome for themes...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
You could do a David Gedge song quiz. For every Wedding Present/ Cinerama song named you would have a choice of a) In this song David Gedge cheats on somebody, b) In this song somebody cheats on David Gedge or c) In this song David Gedge ill advisedly writes about something else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here