Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important advice needed

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Hey there
This is my first real post and I need a little bit of advice. Considering I have read a lot of other posts like this and found you all very useful I thought I would use NSC as my first port of call.

I live in a rented house with 3 other girls as we are students. One of the girls has had her boyfriend living with us for about 2 months now, and by the time he leaves it will be 3 months. He has not given us any money for rent, or contributed to any bills even though he assured us he will make some kind of contribution. :angry:

We have costed up how much he should have given us by the time we leave, and by our reckoning he owes us around £150 each.
We're going to formally ask him for the money, if he does not do that then we will consider taken legal action...which I'm guessing is what I want to know.
Will legal action actually be viable if he does not pay us back?

Thanks.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Im no solicitor but I would imagine that because he hasnt signed a tenancy agreement you dont have a leg to stand on.. but what do I know!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Take it to a small claims court but it takes time however I suspect there is no conclusive proof the boyfriend lived there (as in no formal contract) which may mean you would not win.

Nov 7, 2009
Hey there
This is my first real post and I need a little bit of advice. Considering I have read a lot of other posts like this and found you all very useful I thought I would use NSC as my first port of call.

I live in a rented house with 3 other girls as we are students. One of the girls has had her boyfriend living with us for about 2 months now, and by the time he leaves it will be 3 months. He has not given us any money for rent, or contributed to any bills even though he assured us he will make some kind of contribution. :angry:

We have costed up how much he should have given us by the time we leave, and by our reckoning he owes us around £150 each.
We're going to formally ask him for the money, if he does not do that then we will consider taken legal action...which I'm guessing is what I want to know.

Thanks.

None, you've been had.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Blimey, I think it's a bit unfair to lump him with legal threat over a 'bill' he has not agreed to be charged for - especially in retrospect.

Legal threats over something that small will (a) hardly be worth it, is (b) a bit draconian and (c) certainly drive a wedge between you and the girl whose boyfriend this is.

May I suggest...

asking him for a contribution to the household bills - assuming you're all agreed that he's welcome to stay. If he doesn't agree, sling him out.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I do not think you have much of a case unfortunately. However, more importantly that that is, can we see some pics of you and your housemates?. Thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
for £150 i would say let it go. his presence isnt going to meaningfully change the utility bills, only some food. does he ever pay for a take away, get some food or beer in? also, if your landlord finds out, they might ask you for extra rent. tell the girl friend to kick him out if he's taking liberties.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think basically all you can do is ask him for a contribution because the bills could turn out to be higher than expected with an extra person living with you.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
:needpics: of you ???

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Legal action is a little over the top but you should all perhaps have a house meeting & bring the subject of him contributing up. If he doesn't do the honorable thing then ask them both to leave as it's as much down to his girlfriend in my eyes.

Also would you like to engage my naked house cleaning services?

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
asking him for a contribution to the household bills - assuming you're all agreed that he's welcome to stay. If he doesn't agree, sling him out.

We've done that and he says that he will. Then he goes out and spends the money on other things.
we've been well and truly had I knew I shouldn't have agreed to it, :facepalm:.

The other thing is he is putting the household in danger. Three times he has left the gas on after he has cooked, and once he left the front door open from 1am to 10am, which is dangerous anyway, but when you live in one of the roughest parts of Colchester it's worse.

I think the legal action consideration has come about because he is taking liberties now, and he seems to believe that cooking us one meal (which involves boiling pasta and pooring over a sauce) will make us even.

But anyways. Thanks again.

Also to anybody who wants pics of me and my housemates, you aren't getting them.

Hey there

Thanks.

It says under your username that you have a "high iq" - I suggest you figure it out yourself.

You've been milked you thick bovine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We've done that and he says that he will. Then he goes out and spends the money on other things.

The other thing is he is putting the household in danger. Three times he has left the gas on after he has cooked, and once he left the front door open from 1am to 10am, which is dangerous anyway, but when you live in one of the roughest parts of Colchester it's worse.

I think the legal action consideration has come about because he is taking liberties now, and he seems to believe that cooking us one meal (which involves boiling pasta and pooring over a sauce) will make us even.

Also to anybody who wants pics of me and my housemates, you aren't getting them.

You are missing the point as there are no grounds for legal action as I suspect there is no contract of tenancy including him, just you three ladies ?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
No chance legally.

If he has said that he's willing to offer a contribution, how about...

"Do you remember <insert freeloader's name here> that you said you'd help us out with our bills and other expenses, well, we'd like to know WHEN you'll be able to make your first contribution..."

Get him to agree to a payment date, get him to agree that this is only the first payment.
Be assertive, stay calm, stay in control.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Time to tell GF you are not happy and want him out; cut your losses. Let her go with him if she is so keen on him and get another lodger, you are young live life to the full.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be honest I wouldn't even worry about the money.

Just use your energy to get your selfish friend and her equally selfish boyfriend out of the property, the Landlord may be able to assist.

She is no friend of yours.

It's "...'pouring' over a sauce".

Incidentally, is 75 a high number, in your world? Just asking, like.

It sounds like this bloke has only done what women do all the time, and you only cry that he's taken advantage because he's not given your flabby ass a seeing to.

I hope you will accept my sage advice, and take your story to a toilet wall somewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here