Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm moving to Brighton

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Getting away from central Hove to get to the motorway each day sounds horrendous.

If you're really intending to do that each day, Preston Park / Fiveways / Surrenden / Varndean area sounds about right.

20 mins walk into the city centre, no aggravation of city centre rush hour traffic, fairly quiet in the suburbs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
shirley drive is a little gem.
Really? It's a busy through road, expensive, and not in walking distance of the shops, restaurants, beach etc. It's quicker to the A23, but so is Burgess Hill.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
for £450 a month each i'd expect at least a medium sized kitchen and a garden to be honest

i'm paying £387.50 and i have a huge kitchen and front room, AND a garden

hanover is the way forward

Interesting.

The flat is up for sale so we may have to move at some point in the near future. Although it's ridiculously priced at £250k, and there's been a grand total of 2 viewings in the 9 months or so it's been on the market. Will definitely have to look at Hanover, don't know the area well at all to be honest. Don't remember seeing many flats over that way when we were first looking though

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Getting away from central Hove to get to the motorway each day sounds horrendous.

If you're really intending to do that each day, Preston Park / Fiveways / Surrenden / Varndean area sounds about right.

20 mins walk into the city centre, no aggravation of city centre rush hour traffic, fairly quiet in the suburbs.

It's not too bad for me, slightly worse at the moment because of the road works along the Old Shoreham Road, but normally not more than 5-10 minutes to get out. Queuing up Woodland Road can be painful sometimes, but 90% of the time it's fine

Really? It's a busy through road, expensive, and not in walking distance of the shops, restaurants, beach etc. It's quicker to the A23, but so is Burgess Hill.

Think he means as a way of getting to the bypass, rather than living there

For that money you'll get a very nice flat in central Hove. I live in Osborne Villas for the reasons you give plus all the shops I need for daily living right on my door step plus plentiful and quick bus routes into town plus a cab rank. The big plus is the beach though and it's been lovely the past few days.
Having myself lived for two years in Osborne Villas (decades ago - the rent for a four bedroomed furnished flat was £12.60 a week!), I would agree. And it's better now than it was then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
for £450 a month each i'd expect at least a medium sized kitchen and a garden to be honest

What kind of property, how many of you in it? I like Hanover, but it's not much cheaper than Hove for the same thing, and I prefer Hove.

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Preston park.......gets my vote too. Relatively close to everything.

Or even Patcham (where I was brought up). For Crawley drive that would
be good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having myself lived for two years in Osborne Villas (decades ago - the rent for a four bedroomed furnished flat was £12.60 a week!), I would agree. And it's better now than it was then.

I agree, I'm really happy here. I just need to get the Osborne Villas micropub up and running then I'll be complete.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Brunswick Square last weekend to meet someone and I must say it looked glorious in the sunshine and it had a real community feel about it with lots of front doors open and people mingling. It also had some wonderfully batty old-skool Hove ladies milling around and one was cleaning the pavement...and a 3 year old with an 'I heart art' t-shirt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Time for a snooze on the beach me thinks....

Oct 25, 2003
Interesting.

The flat is up for sale so we may have to move at some point in the near future. Although it's ridiculously priced at £250k, and there's been a grand total of 2 viewings in the 9 months or so it's been on the market. Will definitely have to look at Hanover, don't know the area well at all to be honest. Don't remember seeing many flats over that way when we were first looking though

you're right, to be honest if you're looking for a 2 bed flat then you're going to struggle in hanover....it's mostly 4-5 bedroom houses

Oct 25, 2003
What kind of property, how many of you in it? I like Hanover, but it's not much cheaper than Hove for the same thing, and I prefer Hove.

house, there's 4 of us.........i paid £400 a month for a maisonette in central hove, the bedrooms were bigger than where I am now, but the communal areas were at least half the size...plus no garden or free parking (personally don't drive so it's not a problem for me)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

house, there's 4 of us
You're not comparing like with like then. A 2 bed flat is obviously more expensive per person than the type of 4 bed houses you find in Hanover.

Oct 25, 2003
You're not comparing like with like then. A 2 bed flat is obviously more expensive per person than the type of 4 bed houses you find in Hanover.

good point, well made........i've only ever live in shared housing and probably will do for a number of years...just going by my own experiences really :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
southwick hill.

you can park yourself there,not pay any taxes,probably get shit load of benefits and when you have completely f***ed the place up you can "travel" somewhere else and start all over again.......the good news is the green party will be in your corner.

Thankfully, another thing you'll find about Brighton is the relative lack of Daily Mail readers - though there are exceptions, it seems.

Back on topic - there's so many areas and communities to pick from, there's something for all sorts in most parts of the city.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
good point, well made........i've only ever live in shared housing and probably will do for a number of years...just going by my own experiences really :)
Good choice too. Cheaper, more fun, and if you settle down you have the rest of your life to live with 1 person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here