Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm moving to Brighton

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Personally I'd go hove, anything around grand avenue etc Pissing distance from the beech and town. Much prefer that to hanover or queens park areas which some people wank over for some reason :shrug:

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
You can get really quite nice places like this for £1k pcm. Right by the sea, walking distance to Brighton proper but quiet when you want to have a night in. My only concerns if you're planning to drive to Crawley are that it's an extra few minutes to get to the edge of town compared to Preston Park, and getting a parking permit may not be trivial.

That was just the first result that caught my eye from a local estate agent. You could probably pick anywhere within a mile of the centre (clock tower/Lanes/Steine/pier) and be reasonably satisfied with shops, pubs, etc, locally and access to the centre (there's no shortage of buses and cabs) for bars and nightlife.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Shoreham by Sea. Handy to Brighton without the minuses.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
If you really want to be by the sea then hove is where you want to be. One of the "avenues" or albany villas etc. getting to the sea from pp is a bit of a drag and no nightlife in itself.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Hove sweet Hove

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
southwick hill.

you can park yourself there,not pay any taxes,probably get shit load of benefits and when you have completely f***ed the place up you can "travel" somewhere else and start all over again.......the good news is the green party will be in your corner.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Would you not do better and get better value for money by going. to Burgess Hill or Haywards Heath as despite what some may say there are some good areas and bad in both and a number of past and present players and manages have found decent places in both

He wants some life. Preston Park or maybe 7 Dials.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Probably drive, are the roads not great for driving around that part of the country?

I'm thinking Brighton because i'm still pretty young so want somewhere fairly lively.
Roads are fine A23/M23 but note the parking permit situation in B&H. Trains will depend on where in Crawley you work as there is no direct train between Brighton & Crawley but there is to Three Bridges

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
For that money you'll get a very nice flat in central Hove. I live in Osborne Villas for the reasons you give plus all the shops I need for daily living right on my door step plus plentiful and quick bus routes into town plus a cab rank. The big plus is the beach though and it's been lovely the past few days.

Absolutely. I'm a Ventnor Villas man myself. For me this area (Cliftonville I think is the actual correct area name) suits me perfectly. See you down the quarter deck beach later!!! :)

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Cheers, given me a couple of idea's on where to start looking.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Another vote for Hove. Am 15-20 minutes walk to Brighton Station, 10 minute walk from the beach, 5 minutes from Hove Station and pretty quick to get up and out to the A27 each morning. Right on the number 7 bus route if you need to get into town quicker too. Paying £900 for a 2 bed flat (decent sized bedrooms but small kitchen and medium sized lounge, no garden).

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i once did the drive from hove to crawley everyday for a year- never again. but much easier from hove than brighton - shirley drive is a little gem.

as for permits - easy to forge - get an old one - cut the gold strip off - scan in a new one hi res from a mate - photoshop the details to your reg, print hi res, glue the gold strip on - put in the car window - if they had any brains they would not be wardens and only look for the strip and colour.

go wild, do one for each zone too.

;-)

Oct 25, 2003
Personally I'd go hove, anything around grand avenue etc Pissing distance from the beech and town. Much prefer that to hanover or queens park areas which some people wank over for some reason :shrug:

yeah apart from the free parking, an absolutely ridiculous amount of pubs within walking distance, easy walk into town, easy walk to brighton station, actual gardens (certainly don't get that everywhere in brighton), friendly neighbours you're right, hanover is rubbish

Oct 25, 2003
Another vote for Hove. Am 15-20 minutes walk to Brighton Station, 10 minute walk from the beach, 5 minutes from Hove Station and pretty quick to get up and out to the A27 each morning. Right on the number 7 bus route if you need to get into town quicker too. Paying £900 for a 2 bed flat (decent sized bedrooms but small kitchen and medium sized lounge, no garden).

for £450 a month each i'd expect at least a medium sized kitchen and a garden to be honest

i'm paying £387.50 and i have a huge kitchen and front room, AND a garden

hanover is the way forward

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
i once did the drive from hove to crawley everyday for a year- never again. but much easier from hove than brighton - shirley drive is a little gem.

as for permits - easy to forge - get an old one - cut the gold strip off - scan in a new one hi res from a mate - photoshop the details to your reg, print hi res, glue the gold strip on - put in the car window - if they had any brains they would not be wardens and only look for the strip and colour.

go wild, do one for each zone too.

;-)

They've changed the permits now to orange ones with a hologram. Much harder to forge!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely. I'm a Ventnor Villas man myself. For me this area (Cliftonville I think is the actual correct area name) suits me perfectly. See you down the quarter deck beach later!!! :)

Same here. I have lived here for 9 years now and love it. I feel very fortunate to have such a nice stretch of beach at the end of my road.

PS I'll have to get into the habit of saying "Cliftonville actually."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the subject of houses has anyone seen the end house on Millionaire's Row/Western Esplanade? It is having some serious rebuilding done and looks about twice it's original size and it was two huge houses in the first place. It already looks incredible and it's not finished yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here