Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could remove ONE show from TV, what would it be?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If I could I'd go back in time and stop Big Brother from ever happening.

Thanks to what Big Brother started we now find ourselves in a cultural cesspool where you no longer need to be knowledgeable or skilled or talented to become a media darling; you only need to be a vacuous nobody and impress a TV producer with pound signs where his senses should be.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You can thank the good old Yanks for the obsession with reality TV. In the earl 90's they had a total writers strike, this prompted execs to come up with shows that need no script. They came up with Cops, Jerry Springer and a plethora of reality shows. Cheap to produce , no script needed, no actors needed, just a few desperate people who will embarrasse themselves to get on telly.
The rest of the world followed suit.
That was genuinely a turning point for TV, thank god for HBO who have turned it around to a large degree.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There are loads of programmes I detest which have mentioned here but the one I'll PLUMP for is Eastenders. It's on 4 nights a week prime-time BBC1, time they could use to put on something better (half-an-hour of static for example).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Always love an opportunity to post this...

:lolol: This is my favourite clip from Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe, it's so well observed. How did Tim Lovejoy manage to convince TV execs that he's a good presenter? I can only assume they were looking for "lads who like a bit of BANTER".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There are loads of programmes I detest which have mentioned here but the one I'll PLUMP for is Eastenders. It's on 4 nights a week prime-time BBC1, time they could use to put on something better (half-an-hour of static for example).

Eastenders is very good for the economy, it employs lots of aging actors who would otherwise be a burden on taxpayers. Nibble will end up there one day, that's if he gets the right result at the election.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If I could I'd go back in time and stop Big Brother from ever happening.

Thanks to what Big Brother started we now find ourselves in a cultural cesspool .

I detest the monotone Geordie who does the voiceovers, 15 plus years and he still can't pronounce English.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Anything featuring that smug shitbag Phillip Schofield. So, The Cube and This Morning at the least. I'd place him inside a box somewhere with Fred Dineage, alarms going off regularly to wake them and the walls being made of tv screens repeating a catalogue of their worst moments, mixed in with some clips of the endlessly excellent Wright Stuff.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
You need categoruies really, just selecting one from the festering shit heap that is most TV today is just not possible imo. Whether it's for the presenters (Top Gear, Jeremy Kyle show, anything with Nicky Campbell), the lame and demeaning subject matter (Take Me Out,, any reality show on Channel 5, any programme which are designed to turn the public against those worse off than themselves rather than question those who are better off) or just because it's blatantly not what it says it is (nearly all comedy made in the last ten years, but especially Citizen Khan, The Wright Way and Life of Riley) there are so many deserving of at least a mention.

Nothing winds me up like Daybreak though :thumbsup:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Britains got talent
which it obviously has not

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When debating which ONE show you'd kick off tv, it surely has to be one that makes your life BETTER for doing so.

So, despite thinking they're DURGE, it would be a waste to pick, say, Miranda as I don't actually watch it.

For that reason, the CLEAR winner is the XFactor.

Every year it finds it's way on in my household. I quite enjoy the auditions.....but then it's just ****ing awful. Every saturday night i watch as 26 is wittled to 25....to 24....to 23.

Girl group "devotion" sobbing away. "This isn't the last you'll hear of devotion". Oh **** OFF.

The judges....who don't judge. The GOD AWFUL live performances. The BACK STORIES. Jesus wept.

The SHAMBLES of a "sing off". YOU'RE BOTH SHIT.

And then the CLIMAX as one VICTORIOUS soul (normally the one who had a brother die or something equally sad happen to them) sings some NONSENSE ballad, get's there number one and disappears off the face of the earth.

If that was GONE then I would be free. I would even put up with Strictly being put on instead even though I bloody hate dancing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just don't watch whatever annoys you, it really is that simple :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here