Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am an alcoholic

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
REDLAND said:
One thing Ive never understood is when Alcholics give up drinking they can never drink again ?

is it really that addictive ?

Because Alcoholics can't drink normally, like you and I can. If they drink, they have to get totally pissed. Nothing else will do. Just one drink and you're back on the slippery slope to your rock bottom.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
REDLAND said:
One thing Ive never understood is when Alcholics give up drinking they can never drink again ?

is it really that addictive ?
It's easy to fall back into old habits I guess.

Well done OTLW. :thumbsup:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Not realising the date of the thread I was going to say good luck and hope you stick with it. But a year has past and looks like you have the willpower so congrats and long may it continue. :clap:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Because Alcoholics can't drink normally, like you and I can. If they drink, they have to get totally pissed. Nothing else will do. Just one drink and you're back on the slippery slope to your rock bottom.

I think that's spot on ... there are mixed views as to whether alcoholics are born with the addiction or simply become an alcohol addict through circumstance.

Judging by my friends at AA, most of us have addictive personalities and can trace our problem back to mid or even early teens. My earliest indication was when i was 16 and went to a schoolmates party in Lancing - while everybody else was on cans of beer and cider I managed to down a half bottle of vodka and most of a half bottle of whisky and then threw up all over the front garden - everyone (including me) thought it was hilarious ... but only 32 years later did I realise that was the beginning.

At Xmas I managed a couple of small glasses of wine ... but it took one hell of a lot of control not to take a third .... the addiction is within me and in the latter years I drank and drank until I blacked out

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
On the Left Wing said:
Let the anniversary pass almost unnoticed last week, but got a couple of emails from NSCers this week asking how it's going? So after all the support and help I received from people on here thought I would update you all...

I have been dry for a whole year now (bar a minor lapse at Christmas (but that was under control)). Am fitter and more active than I have ever been (though have put on a stone in weight) enjoying life and tackling important life issues with vigour. No looking back and thanks again to everyone (it seems almost every Albion game I go to some friends or stranger comes up and asks how the recovery is going.

Finally, sorry I have not been on here much in the past six months - those who know me, know my efforts are in other more important directions at the moment.

3 points on Saturday!

Quality bounce OTLW!

Good to hear the news, sir. Keep it up :clap: :clap:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
On the Left Wing said:
My earliest indication was when i was 16 and went to a schoolmates party in Lancing - while everybody else was on cans of beer and cider I managed to down a half bottle of vodka and most of a half bottle of whisky and then threw up all over the front garden - everyone (including me) thought it was hilarious ... but only 32 years later did I realise that was the beginning.

Well done my man.
Wonder how many of the younsters reading this will realise they are also on the slippery road. See plenty of em in the gutters around town on a Friday and Saturday night.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Uncle C said:
Well done my man.
Wonder how many of the younsters reading this will realise they are also on the slippery road. See plenty of em in the gutters around town on a Friday and Saturday night.

Friday and Saturday night is probably ok, its when you see them on a Tuesday then they might have more of a problem.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
On the Left Wing said:

At Xmas I managed a couple of small glasses of wine ... but it took one hell of a lot of control not to take a third .... the addiction is within me

To be honest, that's the problem I have at the moment OtLW. I don't do it with lager cos I can't stomach the gas, but with wine, I find it hard to stop. Got through four bottles the other night (Weds) with my girlfriend at home, totally unecessary, just kept on drinking. I find it hard to just have a 'social' one or two glasses. Once I've started, I have to get pissed. Should I be worried do you think? (I'm 32 btw)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
eastlondonseagull said:
To be honest, that's the problem I have at the moment OtLW. I don't do it with lager cos I can't stomach the gas, but with wine, I find it hard to stop. Got through four bottles the other night (Weds) with my girlfriend at home, totally unecessary, just kept on drinking. I find it hard to just have a 'social' one or two glasses. Once I've started, I have to get pissed. Should I be worried do you think? (I'm 32 btw)

In all honesty I don't know (as I don't know you), but alcoholism is a progressive condition (like most addictions, including smoking). I began the real decline when I was about 32ish - it started with a bottle of whisky for the weekend and a half bottle of wine a night and progressed. I agree that wine (and to a large extent spirits) drunk at home can become aggresively moorish. And I had to always get NUMB pissed every night to feel cool (or should I say warm).
One AA veteran told me a year ago that alcoholism is like catching a train from Sunderland to Glasgow .... you can choose to get out at any stop, but some alcoholics never get out until they reach Glasgow ... and that really is the pits! (made me laugh, but it was an interesting view of the condition).
I only stopped when the condition started to affect my physical (drenching night sweats, enlarged liver and itching) and mental health (depression) and almost ruined my third marriage to a girl I would die for. There was more stuff besides, but reckon I had probably got to Carlisle or even Hamilton on that train journey (get an Atlas!).
My only advice for what it is worth ... if you are having doubts talk to your girlfriend or close friend about your fears ... once you admit you have a problem then half the battle is won.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
On the Left Wing said:
In all honesty I don't know (as I don't know you), but alcoholism is a progressive condition (like most addictions, including smoking). I began the real decline when I was about 32ish - it started with a bottle of whisky for the weekend and a half bottle of wine a night and progressed. I agree that wine (and to a large extent spirits) drunk at home can become aggresively moorish. And I had to always get NUMB pissed every night to feel cool (or should I say warm).
One AA veteran told me a year ago that alcoholism is like catching a train from Sunderland to Glasgow .... you can choose to get out at any stop, but some alcoholics never get out until they reach Glasgow ... and that really is the pits! (made me laugh, but it was an interesting view of the condition).
I only stopped when the condition started to affect my physical (drenching night sweats, enlarged liver and itching) and mental health (depression) and almost ruined my third marriage to a girl I would die for. There was more stuff besides, but reckon I had probably got to Carlisle or even Hamilton on that train journey (get an Atlas!).
My only advice for what it is worth ... if you are having doubts talk to your girlfriend or close friend about your fears ... once you admit you have a problem then half the battle is won.

Thanks mate. Am endeavouring to cut down at the mo anyway, so will bear all that in mind :thumbsup:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
A very inspiring thread OTLW. Glad you're getting straight. I've been there myself....8 years of knocking back 8 cans of guinness or strong lager every night.
Although i haven't been to AA, i have learned to control it. I now have a beer if i go up the pub on a friday night or 4 cans on a sunday but rarely do i drink through the week now.

Luckily, the liver is a fantastic organ and it's powers of regeneration are amaizing. I too had the enlarged liver and my enzyme levels were up so i gave up the booze for a while and boy did i feel better.

Anyway, i really wish you well....it's only the beginning but as you say, admitting to yourself and others is the first step of a huge marathon.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I quite like Glasgow, I'm gonna go there again soon.

Although not in the sense you are speaking of.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
well done OTLW, no mean achievement :clap:

the best thing is you've moved on and started to find enjoyment and satisfaction in other things. helps concentrate the mind on what coming rather than gone. Very important IMHO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here