Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am an alcoholic

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
OTLW

Well done Sir. I only wish my mate could have done the same thing as you have achieved. It's too late for him now, but you've made me remember him - so thanks for that too.

When I had a few problems last year a good friend gave me some very good advice - "Concentrate on doing those things that make you feel better".

Be happy.

:)

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Here's to you my friend:drink: :drink: :drink:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Really good to hear you've got the problem under control. I can't begin to imagine how much of a struggle it is but I do know you're clearly very strong in managing so well so far.

Keep up the good work and I wish you all the best of luck for the future.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I quite like Glasgow, I'm gonna go there again soon.

Although not in the sense you are speaking of.

Do pop in for a drink - all my pals are off at AA !

And well done OLTW, I know what trouble it can cause.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well done Nic. I am glad you found the strength and also the support of a wonderful wife to see you through this.

Keep going on as you have been going on.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
On the Left Wing said:
Let the anniversary pass almost unnoticed last week, but got a couple of emails from NSCers this week asking how it's going? So after all the support and help I received from people on here thought I would update you all...

I have been dry for a whole year now (bar a minor lapse at Christmas (but that was under control)). Am fitter and more active than I have ever been (though have put on a stone in weight) enjoying life and tackling important life issues with vigour. No looking back and thanks again to everyone (it seems almost every Albion game I go to some friends or stranger comes up and asks how the recovery is going.

Finally, sorry I have not been on here much in the past six months - those who know me, know my efforts are in other more important directions at the moment.

3 points on Saturday!
:clap2: nice one mate

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well done mate :clap2:

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Keep up the good work mate. From another Boundstone lad.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
The post earlier today by the guy who admits to having serious alcohol and coke problems tweaked my concience to resurrect my thread from five and six years ago.
So how has it gone and is there a way forward?
First of all AA worked for me in the short term and it really got me off the road to ruin and probably an early death (maybe even five years ago).
And I recommend AA to anyone who thinks booze is running and ruining their lives.
But then it was up to me to find a way ahead and I guess once I cracked the addiction (it's always there) I have since managed to moderate my drinking to what I believe are normal levels (and safe levels) for a 50 odd year old guy.
That is despite finding my wife was cheating on me, an acrimonius divorce, having my house repossessed and personal bankruptcy, since admitting my problem.
But having had 30 years of my life ruined (read my early posts on how fecking ruined it was) it is wonderful to now enjoy what is left of my life properly. And I am am genuinely VERY happy - especially watching the Albion top of the table playing the best Brighton football I have seen since the 1970s and bringing up my youngest son as a single parent. Just real bliss!
But above all the biggest thing is admitting you have a problem ... so now you have, it is all up to you (and those who love you).
Oh and BTW ... booze ruins 100 times more lives than coke, H and pills put together!
Sorry if this has all sounded like holy shit, but I needed to post it.
Good luck fella.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good work, onwards and upwards.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
:thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am an alcoholic.

Forced to admit it to loved ones a few days ago and gaining much support from Mrs OTLW and my older son and daughter. Been drinking all my life, but chronically for past 14 years. Manage to idle through most days at work – absences have gone under excuses such as writer’s block or artistic temperament! But come 5.30 every night the ritual began of a large glass of whisky or vodka followed by bottle or two of wine and then more spirits. EVERY NIGHT for 14 years! When I really pushed the boat out it would be 3 or 4 bottles of wine … and never any hangover!

Maybe I drank to forget, maybe there were reasons to start with, but the drink later gave me the reason. In any case a Conservative estimation is I have spent over £35,000 on daily drink in just 14 years (that does not include going out, parties or Christmas).

But it started to catch up with my health … ke-tones in my urine, drenching night sweats, enlarged liver, sleeplessness and general irritability.

I have been dry for 5 days – each evening has been it’s own cold turkey – and am officially in Recovery. I have my first meeting of AA to attend tonight ... am terrified.

Just wondering how you are getting along ? Hope all is well

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Look forward to hearing your latest update on this fella. I know(and knew) people close to me who had serious drink problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here