Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am an alcoholic

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Off to watch the cricket.
Thanks for all the support.
Truly terrified about AA tonight .... wondering if it gonna be full of guys from park benches!!!!

:bhasign: :ascarf: :ascarf: :falmer:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
They're usually full of extremely heavy smokers - I used to go to meetings in the same building as the AA meetings

People seemed normal enough though, although most of them were just moving addictions to tobacco.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You'll probable find they are bank managers, solicitors and mortgage advisors of course.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
AA will be full of people from all walks of life: guys from the park benches and bank managers. Alcoholism doesn't distinguish between professions ..although there seem to be a lot of journalists.

Good luck OTLW, you have the support of everyone on here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you may well have conquered the worst issue by acknowledging the problem.

I really do wish you the very best of luck - you are a brave person to admit the issue in the first place, well done.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
:ohmy: 3 or 4 bottles a night.Now thats aving one.

Anyway good luck and think what you can do with all the spare cash or have you got a Mrs whos all ready spent it?:)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
On the Left Wing said:

I have said a few prayers myself. The night before I came clean with Mrs OTLW I thought it would be my last night alive. But I believe God (or some greater power for the atheists among us!) gave me the strength to start again. I can't mess up now!

I will pray for you as well. I too have had experience of marriage to a heavy drinker who wouldn't ever admit he had a problem.
He went to the extent of leaving me for a barmaid because his addiction was so strong.
He tried to blame me for his drinking (classic blame shifting, I have been told)

Your wife must be something really special (as Tanya is too) and I really wish you both success.

He will see you through. Put your trust in Him. (no apologies for posting that, you atheists)

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Top respect for coming clean with it OTLW, it takes balls to do that particularly on a messageboard packed full of strangers:clap: :clap:

Good luck, as many others have said you've done the hard part by admitting there is a problem

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
Good lucK OTLW. I truly hope you succeed - there are others of course in the scenario who have been affected by your alcoholism - your family. Think about how much better their lives will be as a result of your courage in taking this first step.:wave:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Best of luck.Both of my wifes parents died of the booze, make sure you don't.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
You should also try NA.

Don't feel you have to stick to AA religiously - take the bits that help you.

Don't isolate yourself.

Never mind the "I won't have a drink today......" stuff. Break it down to 1 hour if needs be, or "I won't have a drink for 15 minutes" & repeat until the urge goes away - WHICH IT WILL.

If you are serious get your GP to prescribe you "Antibuse" which will make you very ill if you drink on it - a mild rash if you use too much aftershave!

Good luck.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Good luck OTLW.

I look forward to your posts but I have noticed there have been fewer of them recently. If you kicking the alcohol thing means that you can post more often THAT WILL BE GREAT!

If you feel like a drink - get on NSC! We will be like your on-line support buddies!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here