Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia starting to get frustrated

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes, where are these internet rumours ? Would be interesting to see that exact wording.

My colleague at work was looking at a site earlier today essentially just trying to manipulate the words of the Argus report - not sure which site, but all these rumours are usually just crap to be honest. I'm sure Sammi will be with us at the start of the season - I just hope he can have some say though in those that the club do bring in. It does seem as if Burke and co just look at a list of those they think could be suitable and within budget with little input from the manager.

I for one was hoping that maybe with his contacts he might have from Finland and his days in Germany he might be able to encourage one or two players over to the UK who he knows and we could get hold of like when Ulloa came. Most of us hadn't heard of him and I think it's a real possibility that a similar 'unknown' player to most of us could be found to do a job. I do though disagree with some on here regarding Walton - I watched the game last night and thought he looked a real find. I know it's only a pre-season friendly but I wouldn't be upset to see him start in goal for us this year. If it was to go pear shaped then I'm sure once the season is under way an experienced loan could be drafted in if required.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is concerning that 2 weeks before the kick off we've yet to replace TK, Ward or Ulloa, knowing that TK was not offered a contract surely a goalie should have been identified and signed ages ago.
As much as I don't want to get titsy about this, in July, that fact is the one I'm finding hard to shake.

Ward was on loan.
TK was all but gone in March/April.
Ulloa was going to attract interest, and if he did go it was always going for a sizable sum.

Which is why I believe we'll be on track within the next 5 weeks.

If we aren't then defending the club will be difficult.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
My colleague at work was looking at a site earlier today essentially just trying to manipulate the words of the Argus report - not sure which site, but all these rumours are usually just crap to be honest. I'm sure Sammi will be with us at the start of the season - I just hope he can have some say though in those that the club do bring in. It does seem as if Burke and co just look at a list of those they think could be suitable and within budget with little input from the manager.

I for one was hoping that maybe with his contacts he might have from Finland and his days in Germany he might be able to encourage one or two players over to the UK who he knows and we could get hold of like when Ulloa came. Most of us hadn't heard of him and I think it's a real possibility that a similar 'unknown' player to most of us could be found to do a job. .

A player could be found but that took us 2 years to get him .

Regarding using his contacts , unfortunately it looks and sounds like he doesn't have a massive input into players we have signed or will sign .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As much as I don't want to get titsy about this, in July, that fact is the one I'm finding hard to shake.

Ward was on loan.
TK was all but gone in March/April.
Ulloa was going to attract interest, and if he did go it was always going for a sizable sum.

Which is why I believe we'll be on track within the next 5 weeks.

If we aren't then defending the club will be difficult.

5 weeks now ?

Not from you but the noises have gone from signings ASAP to signings "hopefully" soon .
This isn't even going into the other noises that have been coming out .

Ok so now it's 5 weeks .

Personally I agree with you but my difference is it's starting to get hard to defend the club now .

Back in June the bedwetters as they are called were going way over the top . I think now we are 2 weeks off everyone has a right to question and be concerned as we are potentially coming unstuck .

Hyypias interview last night did nothing to silence the growing concern .

Makes no difference what we do but questioning it now rather than 5 weeks time isn't pointkess to some .

Let's face it , there isn't much else to get our teeth into right now so at least it promotes debate and passionate discussion ,

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
To those saying we'll be fine by September 1st, you do realise August counts right?

I'm sure any incoming players at the end of August would feel less than pleased about entering a potential relegation battle, as opposed to coming in before August 9th and focusing on a strong start.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm sure any incoming players at the end of August would feel less than pleased about entering a potential relegation battle

Re-read that bit and see if it makes you sound insane or not.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My point was that if we don't get in 4 or 5 quality players we will struggle. Are you really disagreeing with that? Can you honestly see this squad challenging as it is at the moment? We may have found a decent keeper, a fantastic one even, but we cannot rely on Walton as our keeper just yet, so we need an experienced keeper who is better than Ankergren. Casper is cover not a no 1 these days. LB? Chicksen may come good but it's going to be a risk playing him as our number one LB. Upfront we are very very lightweight ( I say this knowing nothing about COG) and will need to find a natural goalscorer with ability at this level. Tall order in itself. We may already have enough in midfield although a genuinely creative player would be nice. (come on Kemy, that could be you!). We may even just about have enough at CB if we use Ince as cover if needed but it will be risky not to acquire at least one more CB.

If we do not fill these places adequately, we will definitely struggle imo and I'm surprised you think that's a pessimistic view.

All this will of course become irrelevant waffle when the club announce three quality signings this evening :wink:

That's a fair point and, no, I'm not disagreeing with it. We shall know what materialises by the start of September. I will be deeply pessimistic if we don't get decent additions by then. As indicated, and as you seem to be agreeing with, four decent signings or season-long loans is what we want.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not understand the gloom as the team we have would be good enough for top half of The Champion ship but we want to finish higher than that so others will be brought in.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fact is, had we gone out and bought in early June, we would've been operating with a very different budget and instead of complaining about the lack of signings we would be complaining about the quality of the players. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that TB knew that Ulloa was likely to go and delayed making any signings accordingly?

Time will obviously tell, but it would appear that waiting has put us in a better position rather than a worse one...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can't see this happening but if it did we WOULD become a laughing stock and with reason, taking into account the Sammy Lee saga. As a point of interest where are these rumours, 1st I've heard of it.

Don't panic it's football rumours:

Brighton owner Tony bloom has had to talk new manager Sami Hypiea out of quitting due to a difference in views on signing new players. A few transfers have not gone through due to the loose ends not being tied up leaving Hypiea furious and telling bloom he will quit.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What I think people fail to appreciate is that the type of players we are after will be in demand by not only clubs in the Championship with parachute payments, so able to pay more in wages, but, you would think, the lower end premier league teams. If a player thinks he will get his move to the top flight he will wait until very near to the end of the window to see if it materialises.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This idea that Oscar and Sami are furious about their lack of involvement in signings is odd given that at Tel Aviv Garcia had no say at all and has just returned there. (Jordi Cruyff looked after it) . When at albion he was, according to TB at least, detached from recruitment team despite TB expecting him to be fully involved and didn't suggest players apart from Rodriguez. He just preferred to coach.

Sami likewise had limited involvement at Beyer Leverkusen.

If anything both Sami and oscar are / were surprised at the input they are expected to have here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
5 weeks now ?

Not from you but the noises have gone from signings ASAP to signings "hopefully" soon .
This isn't even going into the other noises that have been coming out .

Ok so now it's 5 weeks .

Personally I agree with you but my difference is it's starting to get hard to defend the club now .

Back in June the bedwetters as they are called were going way over the top . I think now we are 2 weeks off everyone has a right to question and be concerned as we are potentially coming unstuck .

Hyypias interview last night did nothing to silence the growing concern .

Makes no difference what we do but questioning it now rather than 5 weeks time isn't pointkess to some .

Let's face it , there isn't much else to get our teeth into right now so at least it promotes debate and passionate discussion ,

You're contradicting yourself:
it will be hard to defend the club in five weeks IF there aren't four decent signings/season-long loans, even better if most -- if not all -- are there for the start of the season. For the moment, we have to wait; if you don't, you're -- and this is the first time I've used this phrase -- a bed wetter.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To those saying we'll be fine by September 1st, you do realise August counts right?

I'm sure any incoming players at the end of August would feel less than pleased about entering a potential relegation battle, as opposed to coming in before August 9th and focusing on a strong start.

Good point. I mean the bit about August counting. My memory may be hazy but didn't Burnley get a really good start last year? I know Palace lost their first 3 or 4 when they went up, but early points in the bag are a massive advantage.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You are being way too pessimistic. I'm hoping to see quality signings or season-long loans for: striker; left back (Ward); goalkeeper; wide attacking player (Lingard) -- in that order of priority. I'd much rather we had four quality additions, than six that are less so. Then we can give those youngsters that played last year (Dunk, Chicksen, JFC, Ince and March) plenty of game time, and those youngsters coming through (particularly Walton and Fenelon) a decent airing to cup competitions and maybe even some Championship games.

That's exactly my view, assuming Stephens will be back sooner rather than later.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Good point. I mean the bit about August counting. My memory may be hazy but didn't Burnley get a really good start last year? I know Palace lost their first 3 or 4 when they went up, but early points in the bag are a massive advantage.

Agreed a good start is helpful but we have 41 further matches from Sept onwards to escape relegation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed a good start is helpful but we have 41 further matches from Sept onwards to escape relegation.
But it'll be a tough ask, and and uphill struggle if we don't beat Wednesday :lol: 26-0.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Burnley got tonked by us in August last year:thumbsup:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The board need to pull their fingers out and getting spending. They havnt backed the managers for 3 seasons now, it seems they are happy with us just staying in this league and making a profit. I dont think we will even make the playoffs this year the way things are looking.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
This idea that Oscar and Sami are furious about their lack of involvement in signings is odd given that at Tel Aviv Garcia had no say at all and has just returned there. (Jordi Cruyff looked after it) . When at albion he was, according to TB at least, detached from recruitment team despite TB expecting him to be fully involved and didn't suggest players apart from Rodriguez. He just preferred to coach.

Sami likewise had limited involvement at Beyer Leverkusen.

If anything both Sami and oscar are / were surprised at the input they are expected to have here.

Which is why Bloom probably signed them. They dont want a manger like Poyet having control wanting to spend money. I would rather have a manager like A Poyet who has a vision of the players he wants and put his team together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here