Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia starting to get frustrated

This isn’t entirely true, of course he put money on the table to save his local club, but to own a football club is kudos in the world of wealthy people.

If we do get to the Prem, he would start getting his money back. If we produce a Gareth Bale he will be quids in, or if he sold the club at the right time he would get a massive payout.

Bloom is not throwing money down the drain it is a business investment, that if not sold, will be handed down through his family in years to come.

We should also not forget that the fans pay about £20m each year to subsidise the club. By the end of this season, the fans spend will have been around £80m since we arrived at the Amex, so he has got to get the balance right because fans want to see good football and get value for their money, and more than that, fans need hope and hold the belief that this season will be our season.

The club's strategy on paper looks perfect, but in reality it has flaws with the message it is sending out to players we need.

I would much prefer the club to be honest and say that we are looking to consolidate in the Championship and wait for Academy players to come through. As it stands unless we get some major movement in transfers, we will finish below Bournemouth who can only boast a 12,000 home gate.

Some well made points.

I remember in the early days of the Amex the Club PR spin about how attractive the club would be to new players because of the shiny new stadium, wonderful city, great manager etc. etc. We have had some good ones but generally speaking we seem to find it difficult to get the quality 'we' would like due to one thing - MONEY - that's the bottom line and for reasons we all know (and some we don't) the club is finding it difficult to compete with other 'smaller' clubs. Will it change???

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Yes and there will be quite a few players saying to their agents
"I wish you had taken up Brighton's offer"

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
This isn’t entirely true, of course he put money on the table to save his local club, but to own a football club is kudos in the world of wealthy people.

If we do get to the Prem, he would start getting his money back. If we produce a Gareth Bale he will be quids in, or if he sold the club at the right time he would get a massive payout.

Bloom is not throwing money down the drain it is a business investment, that if not sold, will be handed down through his family in years to come.

We should also not forget that the fans pay about £20m each year to subsidise the club. By the end of this season, the fans spend will have been around £80m since we arrived at the Amex, so he has got to get the balance right because fans want to see good football and get value for their money, and more than that, fans need hope and hold the belief that this season will be our season.

The club's strategy on paper looks perfect, but in reality it has flaws with the message it is sending out to players we need.

I would much prefer the club to be honest and say that we are looking to consolidate in the Championship and wait for Academy players to come through. As it stands unless we get some major movement in transfers, we will finish below Bournemouth who can only boast a 12,000 home gate.
Great post

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We need all fans to get behind Tony by eating as many pies drinking as many 2 pintas as you can buy home away new shirts by a programme for every game etc and we might be able to afford better players.:blush::blush::drama::drama:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'm sorry, you're a great NSCer but this is tosh. Bloom IS throwing money down the drain. That is the nature of football and we're lucky to have him. Almost no-one makes money out of football.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm sorry, you're a great NSCer but this is tosh. Bloom IS throwing money down the drain. That is the nature of football and we're lucky to have him. Almost no-one makes money out of football.

No need to apologise for not agreeing with my thoughts, it is only my view on things.

However I don’t think you are considering the fact that Bloom has invested in land, bricks and mortar, but the fans are paying for the running of the club. If we get relegated and gates fall then Bloom will lose money.

Maybe he is going to pull several rabbits from a hat soon and surprise us, but after the failure of the last January transfer window, when just two players being added to the squad could have given us a fighting chance in the playoffs was a massive statement. Don’t forget missing out on Grabban for £1m when we could have then sold him to Cardiff for £3m if we needed to, was bad business on two levels. The way Oscar left said it all.

All I am saying is that no one is perfect including Bloom, and he has to get the balance right for himself and 25,000 others.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Whether Sami is frustrated, Bloom is a tightwad, or Burke and Barber don't know what they're doing... remember that the season hasn't started and yet we're still in the top half of the table. How many other teams are there in the top half of the table at this stage, year after year after year? A few granted but still, Brighton are clearly one of the top 10-12 off-season clubs of the last few Championship years. Don't forget that. I'm confident that our off-season performance will remain high in the coming years.

With consistency like that you can't go wrong.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I really don't think Tony Bloom bought the Albion for the kudos of owning a football club. He would undoubtedly get some money back if we go up but he won't get a huge amount. To say he will be quids in ever is somewhat simplistic and it's definitely not a business investment.

I don't understand the level of mistrust of the club on here. The last two seasons, the aim has been the top 6 and we've finished in the top 6. Why not trust them to do the same thing this year? If we'd come from a position of struggling near the bottom 3 over the last 2 years, I could understand the negativity on here but we've had two of the best seasons in our history. Or have people forgotten that already?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
CMS seems concerned.

Hyypia seems concerned.

Both the latest Argus articles calling for the club to bring in players, for the START of the new season, for all those people thinking September is just fine.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes and there will be quite a few players saying to their agents
"I wish you had taken up Brighton's offer"

Are you suggesting that a player doesn't make the decision as to what he will accept? I know footballers have a reputation for being quite thick but I struggle to believe they don't have an input into which club they end up at when actively looking for a contract.

I can't believe, for instance, that if the stumbling block between Ward/Wolves/The Albion is Ward's wages that it is not Ward himself who is holding out for the alleged 13k and instructing his agent not to accept less. Quite how that would ever be the agent's fault is beyond me,

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
CMS seems concerned.

Hyypia seems concerned.

Both the latest Argus articles calling for the club to bring in players, for the START of the new season, for all those people thinking September is just fine.

Only if you read the Argus and believe everything Andy Naylor writes in his column. He's just trying to stir it up to grab a few headlines.
Wouldn't be the first time he's done that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

you know I have always thought he might sell but this is where his poker face will come into play, I personally think he will wait until some of the players in the DS come through and we get a good pay off for them and it will happen(look at what we have now without the new training facility)
it is all about timing.
I just wish he/they would get on with it and we do need a good striker this season otherwise we will struggle, I do believe we will get one its just around the corner all this silence is I hope because they want to keep whoever it is under wraps

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just found this, worth a chuckle:

"Brighton owner Tony bloom has had to talk new manager Sami Hypiea out of quitting due to a difference in views on signing new players. A few transfers have not gone through due to the loose ends not being tied up leaving Hypiea furious and telling bloom he will quit."

By brightonmark1234 on http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/brighton-rumours.php

I presume this would be an imposter and not the real brightonmark1234 we see on here.

That sounds like the brightonmark1234 who post all that negative crap about anything relating to the Albion on the Argus website. I wish he would take his anti depressants and STFU.

From where do you get these figures and what is this subsidy* you're referring to?

*"a sum of money given to help keep the price of a product or service low"

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just found this, worth a chuckle:

"Brighton owner Tony bloom has had to talk new manager Sami Hypiea out of quitting due to a difference in views on signing new players. A few transfers have not gone through due to the loose ends not being tied up leaving Hypiea furious and telling bloom he will quit."

By brightonmark1234 on http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/brighton-rumours.php

I presume this would be an imposter and not the real brightonmark1234 we see on here.

Don't count on it...

25 Jul 2014 12:13:15
I am hearing on the grape vine. That Brighton are close to getting Elliott Bennett back from Norwich. Bennett has fallen out of favour at carrow road and in the views they are sorry to let him go. We can not loose this chance to bring in this player for our club is he is championship standard. Sorry but I'm just haveing my views.

brightonmark1234

Some more crackers...

23 Jul 2014 22:33:33
Hey why are my posts not been posted in the brighton rumours. Do my views not count m8? I just want good players to sign for my great club. Sorry but I'm just haveing my views.
brightonmark1234
{Ed003's Note - I have no idea and you are not my m8 whatever that means.}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 Jul 2014 17:23:30
Brighton winger jeff Montana has gone to Aberdeen on loan until January, in my views a good move as he needs game time before coming back to our great time. Hope he wins more than he loose
brightonmark1234
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) 24 Jul 2014 18:05:54
Jeff Montana? Is that Hannah Montana's brother?
wrtaylor21

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No need to apologise for not agreeing with my thoughts, it is only my view on things.

However I don’t think you are considering the fact that Bloom has invested in land, bricks and mortar, but the fans are paying for the running of the club. If we get relegated and gates fall then Bloom will lose money.

Maybe he is going to pull several rabbits from a hat soon and surprise us, but after the failure of the last January transfer window, when just two players being added to the squad could have given us a fighting chance in the playoffs was a massive statement. Don’t forget missing out on Grabban for £1m when we could have then sold him to Cardiff for £3m if we needed to, was bad business on two levels. The way Oscar left said it all.

All I am saying is that no one is perfect including Bloom, and he has to get the balance right for himself and 25,000 others.

You make some interesting points here and in your previous post.

TB has said for the previous two seasons that the target is a playoff spot. As far as I'm aware, all he's said so far about 14/15 is that he expects us to be "competitive". "Competitive" is ambiguous, of course, but I anticipate he'll be asked for a bit more clarity at the upcoming fans' forum. I expect he'll say the same as the last two seasons - top two will be great, but realistically top six.

If he does reiterate that as this season's target, then I think the only time we'll be able to judge how closely his stated ambition matches with what he's prepared to spend is if it becomes clear that we're falling way short. All the time we're hitting his stated ambition (which we have for the last two years), it's hard to argue that there is mismatch between what he says he wants and how much he's prepared to spend in order to hit the target.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I really don't think Tony Bloom bought the Albion for the kudos of owning a football club. He would undoubtedly get some money back if we go up but he won't get a huge amount. To say he will be quids in ever is somewhat simplistic and it's definitely not a business investment.

I don't understand the level of mistrust of the club on here. The last two seasons, the aim has been the top 6 and we've finished in the top 6. Why not trust them to do the same thing this year? If we'd come from a position of struggling near the bottom 3 over the last 2 years, I could understand the negativity on here but we've had two of the best seasons in our history. Or have people forgotten that already?

There is a certain amount of Kudos owning a football club because it adds to your reputation and raises your profile on the world stage.

If I had a couple of hundred million in my back pocket doing nothing, and my local club was up for grabs at a cost of £120m, that would still leave be £80m plus interest.

I am not saying he should outspend himself, but missing out on Grabban not only did we miss out on a real promotion shot, the possible resale of him for £3m, it also sent out a message about our ambition to potential players. Every player we want to sign has to believe that we want promotion, not just hold the fort for a few years.

By the way it is not a mistrust of the club, it is about chain reactions to our approach on some things, but all I am saying is that we have to get the balance right. Even if we got a load of good league one players it would be a good start.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You make some interesting points here and in your previous post.

TB has said for the previous two seasons that the target is a playoff spot. As far as I'm aware, all he's said so far about 14/15 is that he expects us to be "competitive". "Competitive" is ambiguous, of course, but I anticipate he'll be asked for a bit more clarity at the upcoming fans' forum. I expect he'll say the same as the last two seasons - top two will be great, but realistically top six.

If he does reiterate that as this season's target, then I think the only time we'll be able to judge how closely his stated ambition matches with what he's prepared to spend is if it becomes clear that we're falling way short. All the time we're hitting his stated ambition (which we have for the last two years), it's hard to argue that there is mismatch between what he says he wants and how much he's prepared to spend in order to hit the target.
That's pretty much what he said last month. http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/112..._another_competitive_squad_to_target_top_six/

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Are you suggesting that a player doesn't make the decision as to what he will accept? I know footballers have a reputation for being quite thick but I struggle to believe they don't have an input into which club they end up at when actively looking for a contract.

I can't believe, for instance, that if the stumbling block between Ward/Wolves/The Albion is Ward's wages that it is not Ward himself who is holding out for the alleged 13k and instructing his agent not to accept less. Quite how that would ever be the agent's fault is beyond me,
I stand by what I have written, if a club offers 5k an agent will advise his client that he can get 6k and then hopefully aim for the middle figure of 5.5k plus add on's (win and point bonuses, league position plus shirt royalties etc) Then there is also the agents percentage. The club then loses interest and look elsewhere.
The agents of so called "good players" will hold out until the final few days before the transfer window closes.
The McCormack deal was a dream come true for the agent I wonder how much his % of £11m earned him? That carthorse Leroy Lita failed a trial so he will probably turn up in Div 2 on reputation alone, while Tracy Bika will end up in the Conference . . . If he is lucky.
Some players want stability and a deal done ASAP These are usually the ones with two left feet or past their sell by date. Then there is the one month loan period after the window closes, Vicente was a prime example.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I stand by what I have written, if a club offers 5k an agent will advise his client that he can get 6k and then hopefully aim for the middle figure of 5.5k plus add on's (win and point bonuses, league position plus shirt royalties etc) Then there is also the agents percentage. The club then loses interest and look elsewhere.
The agents of so called "good players" will hold out until the final few days before the transfer window closes.
The McCormack deal was a dream come true for the agent I wonder how much his % of £11m earned him? That carthorse Leroy Lita failed a trial so he will probably turn up in Div 2 on reputation alone, while Tracy Bika will end up in the Conference . . . If he is lucky.
Some players want stability and a deal done ASAP These are usually the ones with two left feet or past their sell by date. Then there is the one month loan period after the window closes, Vicente was a prime example.

Sounds about right to me. To be honest, whatever is the truth I doubt anyone on here realizes how complex and trying it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here