Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Summer search has started

el punal

A classic 'don't get your knickers in a twist, keep your options open, and it's still early days' comment. The sort of thing that you would expect any reasonable manager to say in the circumstances.

The problem is that many on here have got their knickers in a twist. We all know that it's been a crap season - Hughton, probably more than anyone. He did what he had to do, which was to ensure that we avoided relegation. We did, but with some mind numbing performances. At Christmas every Albion fan would have grabbed that with both hands - avoid relegation I mean.

Time now to wipe the slate clean, start anew and see what the summer brings. Remember, this is the first time in three years that we have actually got a manager in place for the close season - rejoice!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I wouldn't be averse to getting Joe Bennett back as a back up LB, but only IF we can get Chicksen off the wage bill. There was something about Bennett I liked - he had good, quick feet - but I don't think he's a first pick LB.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I wouldn't be averse to getting Joe Bennett back as a back up LB, but only IF we can get Chicksen off the wage bill. There was something about Bennett I liked - he had good, quick feet - but I don't think he's a first pick LB.

Great footwork going forward but not strong enough defensively. He was beaten too often by wingers that led to goals; I remember Nathan Redmond tearing him the proverbial at Norwich and then repeating it even more emphatically at our place.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Great footwork going forward but not strong enough defensively. He was beaten too often by wingers that led to goals; I remember Nathan Redmond tearing him the proverbial at Norwich and then repeating it even more emphatically at our place.

Absolutely agree. That's why I think he's a good back up but not first pick. We need to get rid of Chicksen though if we do take him on. All about improving what we have.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Just an idea but why don't we wait to see who we bring in this summer before writing off our transfer dealings

4060.jpg

The blacksmith

Aug 20, 2014
If he really does think that Leon Best has done enough to consider him an 'option' for next year, then I don't want him managing this club.

Harsh, I know, but that would suggest to me he is completely and utterly clueless.
100 percent this

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If he really does think that Leon Best has done enough to consider him an 'option' for next year, then I don't want him managing this club.

Harsh, I know, but that would suggest to me he is completely and utterly clueless.
Yes, if it's true then I would wholeheartedly concur. That would be a disaster.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's just good to finally have an Amex era non-flakey proper footballing manager in place who is already looking towards the Summer instead of the usual Albion managerial car crash. Hughton was never going to get very much out of this season's misfiring duds other than securing safety from relegation, but he's already brought in classy natural-born leader Beram Kayal and put CMS out of his misery. All good positive steps. There's a clear and present danger that he'll try and sign Leon f*cking Best, but until he blows all credibility by doing that, I'm prepared to give the bloke the benefit of the doubt.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'm going to throw the name James Perch into the equation.

One of Hughton's favourites at Newcastle, slightly underwhelming career since, captained Wigan to relegation this year so they're bound to want rid.

Typically a right back (yeah, I know we're not so badly off there), but can play in several positions. Not a very exciting signing. But I've got a hunch it's a possible.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think it will be people in the age group of 22 to 28 or 29 he will sign and it will be people who already have Championship experience. I think there is already a list of potentials drawn up and I think that list has already been given to the people who do the recruiting. I also think they will be watching a lot of videos of foreign players in France Holland and so on over the summer.

Until we make contact with players representatives and clubs we won't know who is actually available

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it will be people in the age group of 22 to 28 or 29 he will sign and it will be people who already have Championship experience. I think there is already a list of potentials drawn up and I think that list has already been given to the people who do the recruiting. I also think they will be watching a lot of videos of foreign players in France Holland and so on over the summer.

Until we make contact with players representatives and clubs we won't know who is actually available

Would you not think Eastern Europe like Romania, Bulgaria and the Baltic states are places to look as the wages there are so low in comparison to here. We need to find another Berbatov.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to throw the name James Perch into the equation.

One of Hughton's favourites at Newcastle, slightly underwhelming career since, captained Wigan to relegation this year so they're bound to want rid.

Typically a right back (yeah, I know we're not so badly off there), but can play in several positions. Not a very exciting signing. But I've got a hunch it's a possible.

My lad called this one about three months ago! James Perch and Gary O'Neill.

Yaay

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Hopefully he means that they have put enough in his mind to rule them out as part of our option, and he is just being diplomatic.

Am I straw clutching?
I think your living in hope mate like we all do !!!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The search needed starting in January!

And I'm sure it did !

Dopn't forget Hughton's brief when he came here was to keep us up at all costs - which he did
Yes it wasn't particularly pretty but it was effective and he did what he had to do
Now he's ditched the dead wood he can see what money he has available for decent signings in the next couple of months
I am certain that he's already identified a number of players in the positions suggested by North Stand Chat and that his phone will be red hot throughout the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here