Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many went mad with equaliser?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
From The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...nty-1-late-james-wilson-equaliser-sets-seagu/

Brighton 1 Derby County 1: Late James Wilson equaliser sets Seagulls up for final-day promotion showdown
James Wilson fires home Brighton's late equaliser
James Wilson fires home Brighton's late equaliser CREDIT: REX
Jonathan Liew
2 MAY 2016 • 5:53PM
Never had a goal this meaningless been greeted by a noise this cacophonous. A point was as good as none for Brighton here, yet the rush of euphoria that followed James Wilson’s injury-time equaliser was a celebration of something more symbolic. It was a message – to a record crowd, to their promotion rivals, to the multitudes watching in the front rooms of Teesside and on the big screen outside Turf Moor – that Brighton will not go meekly into the night.

Brighton must now beat Middlesbrough to clinch promotion
Brighton must now beat Middlesbrough to clinch promotion CREDIT: REX
With 10 men and seconds remaining, Wilson’s scrappy shot earned a scrappy point, extending Brighton’s unbeaten record to 13 matches. It did not change the broader equation: to claim automatic promotion this Saturday, they will need to win at Middlesbrough, something only one club has done in the league since August. But as a statement of belief, it was immense.

“You can tell by the crowd what that goal has done,” said manager Chris Hughton. “We showed a real desire to get back into the game. We weren’t at our best, but we still didn’t lose.”

With the omnipresent George Thorne shielding a disciplined back four, Derby executed their game-plan to perfection, refusing to commit too many men forward. Brighton’s counter-attacks were quickly snuffed out; their fusillade of aerial balls, increasing in frequency in desperation as the match went on, were easily negotiated. Anthony Knockaert gilded the first hour of the game but faded in influence.

Chances were few. Fouls were many. A tight game was crying out for one moment of real quality, and it arrived from Will Hughes, a midfielder who would be playing Premier League football by now if he had strength to match his skill. Starting only his second game since August, his dainty through-ball to substitute Andreas Weimann was judged to perfection.

Weimann drills home the opener for Derby
Weimann drills home the opener for Derby CREDIT: REX
Right-back Bruno took a step in the wrong direction at the fatal moment; Weimann stole past him, and bundled home the rebound after seeing his first shot saved.

With seven minutes remaining, Lewis Dunk made Brighton’s task all the harder, chopping down Craig Bryson to earn himself a second booking. And in truth, Brighton had not really threatened to break through, losing their well-drilled shape as they charged forward.

Yet with the four additional minutes expired and Brighton goalkeeper David Stockdale surging forward to attack a corner, Brighton got their goal. The corner was knocked down to Wilson, whose shot flicked the head of Jacob Butterfield and looped in. It was harsh on Derby, whose immaculate resistance had surely deserved a clean sheet, but going into the play-offs they look in excellent shape. “You don’t always get what you deserve in football,” head coach Darren Wassall lamented.

To the north-east, then, as Brighton attempt to return to the top division they have not graced since 1983. Those 33 years have seen four different home grounds, eight different kit manufacturers, 44 other clubs promoted to the top flight ahead of them, and yet just one enduring dream, which flickers still.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Before the goal went in I was thinking it wouldn't make any difference to anything if we scored an equaliser, as we weren't likely to win the game, so the task at Middlesborough remained the same. In hindsight, I was wrong.

It MUST have made a difference to the players (on both sides – I saw the reaction of Carson and others) and the club as a whole. Confidence, remaining unbeaten, coming back from a desperate situation, etc.

Plus I'm not sure it's been mentioned on here but, if we win at Boro (big if) and Burnley lose (even bigger – MASSIVE, even – if), then we'll win the league! Without that extra point, it's unlikely that we would make up the goals to top the table. So yeah, in the grand scheme of the match and the aim of promotion it made naff all difference. But look at the bigger picture, and it could mean A LOT.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It was a Brighton goal, it could still give us the championship, it keeps the momentum, it shows desire AND it shut the Derby fans up.

castmana1

Nov 3, 2014
I celebrated it, mainly because it was a big two fingers up to that smug subbed Derby player/tortoise who tried to kill off a game against a 10-man side by dawdling his way off in injury time. Immensely satisfying.

DavePage

I cheered with arms in the air all the way in Woodstock, Ontario.
I would have had the same reaction if we were losing 3.0
Your team scores a goal it’s what you do, anytime and any circumstances.
No wait, if we were losing 3.0 there wouldn’t be so many at the ground, come added on time.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Yep celebrated like I would any other last min equalizer. It leaves the opposition to walk away feeling like they f up against 10 men and ours believing no matter how late on we are not gong to roll over. loved it and went nuts. Definitely not meaningless

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Had loads of mongs fall on me. Despite it meaning nothing. Said to lads before game complete meaningless. Tell me the reason today to celebrate a draw rather than defeat. Would next sat be any different? Please enlighten me. For what it is worth, I do think we win next week.

Why do I have a picture in my mind of a stern looking chap in a long Mac smoking a pipe whilst standing in the chimp enclosure at drusillas?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Pretty much went mental, as I do for every goal we score to be honest.

What I couldn't understand were the people standing, cheering and clapping Dunk when he was walking off after being dismissed.

Because as stupid as his challenge was the last thing he needed was 30,000 Brighton fans on his back. If we end up in the play-offs I'd rather his confidence wasn't totally shot by what happened yesterday.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Because as stupid as his challenge was the last thing he needed was 30,000 Brighton fans on his back. If we end up in the play-offs I'd rather his confidence wasn't totally shot by what happened yesterday.

I think there's a difference with not being on his back and actually APPLUADING him off the pitch.

Perhaps my logic is somewhat warped, but usually only applaud something which is good.

Did I boo? Absolutely not. But there was no way I was going to applaud a moment of sheer stupidity which let down his teammates and the club ahead of a VITAL game. I don't applaud if a player misplaces a 2 yard pass either or a goalkeeper lets the ball roll through his legs.

I think there's a difference with not being on his back and actually APPLUADING him off the pitch.

Perhaps my logic is somewhat warped, but usually only applaud something which is good.

Did I boo? Absolutely not. But there was no way I was going to applaud a moment of sheer stupidity which let down his teammates and the club ahead of a VITAL game. I don't applaud if a player misplaces a 2 yard pass either or a goalkeeper lets the ball roll through his legs.

Pretty much what I meant, I certainly didn't boo him but was not about to give him a standing ovation either.

He has let his team mates down.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

I get what you're saying.

But clapping is essentially shorthand for showing support through verbal appreciation. When Dunk launches one of his gorgeous 50 yard cross-field balls I'm not in a position to yell at him "What a fine piece of play that was Lewis, keep playing them and we should soon profit" so instead I clap.

No equivalent exists for when I want to say "Well Dunk, you've let the fans down, you've let the team down but most of all, you've let yourself down. However, keep your head up, we're still behind you". As such, clapping is a quick and easy solution to this conundrum.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Had loads of mongs fall on me. Despite it meaning nothing. Said to lads before game complete meaningless. Tell me the reason today to celebrate a draw rather than defeat. Would next sat be any different? Please enlighten me. For what it is worth, I do think we win next week.

You are a sad one. Rejoice at every Brighton goal.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The Telegraph says it all

Chd3yJaW4AEWTwq.jpg

It does not matter if the goal was meaningless, it epitomises this club this year. Never give up and fight to the end, we've sent a message to Boro and we know what's at stake. If we can fight back from a meaningless defeat to manage a draw, then we're a force to be reckoned with on Saturday. The celebrations from the record crowd and the imperious effort the boys put in, week in and week out symbolises us. I sincerely hope who ever came up with #Together in our marketing department gets a tasty bonus, because never has a marketing slogan ever been so relevant.

From where we were this time last year, having only just escaping relegation to being on the verge of promotion to the riches of the premier league, every goal should be celebrated in such a way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here