How can this be defended?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
i work in pensions. name one successful element of the public sector.

Public sector pensions?

Hard to single out an element but I'm not that shit hot on surgery so glad th NHS is there, my fire fighting is a bit rusty so the fire service come in handy, also not sure what I would do with the waste I produce if it wasn't collected.

The list goes on.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Public sector pensions?

Hard to single out an element but I'm not that shit hot on surgery so glad th NHS is there, my fire fighting is a bit rusty so the fire service come in handy, also not sure what I would do with the waste I produce if it wasn't collected.

The list goes on.

yes because if the NHS and waste collection services weren't public, there would be no provision of these services..

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Public sector pensions?

The list goes on.

No, why on earth would I work in public sector pensions.

To have something to fall back on, such as surgery, does not mean it is successful. I'm not talking about what you can't do. I think waiting lines for NHS operations etc prove that the NHS is far from successful.

I'm talking about which parts of the public sector do what they are supposed to do, efficiently and with better results than would be provided by the private sector.

vu1ture

Banned
Jul 23, 2008
Littlehampton
The reason why the national average has shot up is because you have a generation of wet farts like Bulldog who's never done a hard days work in his life.
I've probably gone sick 5 times in the last 3 years.I don't think Bulldog is a approperate user name for you pal.:safeway

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Private hospitals spend far less on healthcare per patient than the NHS. They also provide a better service. The NHS is too big and has been slowly strangled to death by civil servants and politicians. Why do we need so many levels of governance and management? We don't. It's time to replace the NHS with national health insurance (so it's still effectively free for those who can't afford it) and let people chose which hospital and/or healthcare provider they chose. The public sector is no longer fit for purpose, and thousands upon thousands of desk job wasters need to be got rid of.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The reason why the national average has shot up is because you have a generation of wet farts like Bulldog who's never done a hard days work in his life.
I've probably gone sick 5 times in the last 3 years.I don't think Bulldog is a approperate user name for you pal.:safeway

Give me one good reason why I would want to do a hard days graft when I get paid pretty well for doing what I do?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
No, why on earth would I work in public sector pensions.

To have something to fall back on, such as surgery, does not mean it is successful. I'm not talking about what you can't do. I think waiting lines for NHS operations etc prove that the NHS is far from successful.

I'm talking about which parts of the public sector do what they are supposed to do, efficiently and with better results than would be provided by the private sector.

:laugh:

The private sector already has a large influence in many public sector organisations, take Capita for example, they have massive contracts within education, and then there are the construction companies tied in with the PFI initiatives. The NHS are terrified about Richard Branson's new nursing agency and that can only be a good thing.

The NHS in particular has woken up to the fact that being the NHS is no longer the default from being a provider, there is now much more competition to commission and provide services.

Local Government - no argument there it's fcucked!

I'm by no means carrying the torch for the public sector but have worked in it for a while in a position that's a real eye opener.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When I first started working at BT in 1980 it was still common practice to take 12 days sick leave a year as a MINIMUM. These sick days were called "Whitleys" which went back to agreements made in the 1920's for civil service employees. Those 12 days were seen as an entitlement before any disciplinary procedures could be invoked. As a prelude to privatisation this agreement was scrapped and the average annual sick leave total was reduced to no more than four absences totalling less than 12 days over a 12 month rolling period.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ha ha, what did the Argus ever fill its pages with before the FOI Act came into play? Must be another slow news day, a shortage of cats up trees in Hollingdean I suppose.

I've been in four years and have never had a day off sick. I know plenty that are the same, just like in any job.

Given the greater risk of injury to police officers (and one would assume firefighters, but the Argus isn't interested in them, is it?), I'm surprised the ratio isn't far higher than the average civil servant, not in fact lower.

Plenty of that leave will be caused by injuries sustained on duty. If you end up struggling with somebody who doesn't want to be nicked and kicks off big time, it's easy to pick up back injuries, for example. I have two female colleagues who've had their shoulders dislocated by people, another whose arm was broken in a struggle. Others have been punched, kicked in the balls, headbutted, stabbed, you name it, but probably made their way in the next day regardless, and taking it all as part of the job.

What risk is your average office jockey public service employee exposed to by comparison? Repetitive strain injury from typing?

You don't just come back in the next day with a broken arm, do you? Once fit to come back to the office, they'd be put on light duties anyway, so it's not as though people are sitting at home scratching their arses even when injured.

Given the propensity for back and neck injuries, you're also likely to have a few people who are off for long periods of time, which inevitably skews the figures anyway.

Another Argus non-story, well done, newshounds.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
:laugh:

The private sector already has a large influence in many public sector organisations, take Capita for example, they have massive contracts within education, and then there are the construction companies tied in with the PFI initiatives. The NHS are terrified about Richard Branson's new nursing agency and that can only be a good thing.

The NHS in particular has woken up to the fact that being the NHS is no longer the default from being a provider, there is now much more competition to commission and provide services.

Local Government - no argument there it's fcucked!

I'm by no means carrying the torch for the public sector but have worked in it for a while in a position that's a real eye opener.

i dont see the point you are trying to make? yet to name a successful element of the public sector...

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Private hospitals spend far less on healthcare per patient than the NHS. They also provide a better service. The NHS is too big and has been slowly strangled to death by civil servants and politicians. Why do we need so many levels of governance and management? We don't. It's time to replace the NHS with national health insurance (so it's still effectively free for those who can't afford it) and let people chose which hospital and/or healthcare provider they chose. The public sector is no longer fit for purpose, and thousands upon thousands of desk job wasters need to be got rid of.

you couldn't be more correct, Il Duce.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
i dont see the point you are trying to make? yet to name a successful element of the public sector...

Your definition of success? The number of people rescued from burning houses? The number of cancer patients saved? The knowledge that there are hundreds of pointless desk jobs and consultants doing fcuck all for thousands? The council? Can't answer a phone to save their life, council tax high and the streets always filthy, on the other hand the care given to children with special needs or mentally ill older people is excellent?

Define success and I can understand. The nature of the beast is that all organisations have weaknesses, but not all organisations are accountable for public money as the public sector therefore it is (rightly) scrutinised.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What risk is your average office jockey public service employee exposed to by comparison? Repetitive strain injury from typing?
RSI more likely from another form of wrist action.:)

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Your definition of success? The number of people rescued from burning houses? The number of cancer patients saved? The knowledge that there are hundreds of pointless desk jobs and consultants doing fcuck all for thousands? The council? Can't answer a phone to save their life, council tax high and the streets always filthy, on the other hand the care given to children with special needs or mentally ill older people is excellent?

Define success and I can understand. The nature of the beast is that all organisations have weaknesses, but not all organisations are accountable for public money as the public sector therefore it is (rightly) scrutinised.

I did define success. I said which part of the public sector is more efficient than it would be, if it were privatised.

barney

Jul 31, 2006

the point you are making is that, if the NHS and fire service etc were not in existence, people wouldnt receive healthcare and the other services... or am i getting the wrong end of the stick?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports