Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can this be defended?

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I don't care what profession you are in but the fact that our national average is 8-9 days is a bloody disgrace. Only a serious, debilitating illness should prevent you from going to work. There's plenty of work that police officers can still do with a bit of a cold. Pathetic.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
8.5 days per year is pretty good going for the public sector. Anything less that 10 days per year in the public sector is seen as quite normal.

You have to remember that the public sector benefits from generous occupational sick pay in addition to statutory sick pay which is not often experienced in the private sector.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
So 3.5 more days is indefensible? For a highly stressful job with irregular hours and a good chance you face common assault?

Irregular hours and common assult?

They know that when they sign up and the stress councilling is second to none and most recieving it are encouraged to continue to work

vu1ture

Banned
Jul 23, 2008
Littlehampton
A lot depends what type of job you do, Mine is safety critical so there's more reason to take sick leave than somebody who has a job with little or no responsibility.
You're telling me you can't handle a common cold/upset stomac etc when you sit in a signal box all day drinking coffee and pressing a few buttons? Jesus christ,you should try a proper hard days work on a building site pal.None of this sitting on your backside and going sick at the slightest sign of feeling unwell.What a bloody nanny state we have become.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
It amazes me that, given the past years of failure in every section of our public sector, there are still some people who think teachers, doctors, police officer, civil servants etc are somehow better than other people and deserve special treatment. Lazy, useless, incompetent wankers - all of them. This morning I got to work to find two police cars and 8 police officers dealing with an old lady who was mildly inebriated (Victoria is a lovely place). 8 of the lazy fuckers. Why is knife crime and gun crime getting out of hand? Because our police force is pathetic. They're good at getting people for speeding and shooting completely innocent people, but dealing with the proper threats of today? Pathetic scum.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
It amazes me that, given the past years of failure in every section of our public sector, there are still some people who think teachers, doctors, police officer, civil servants etc are somehow better than other people and deserve special treatment. Lazy, useless, incompetent wankers - all of them. This morning I got to work to find two police cars and 8 police officers dealing with an old lady who was mildly inebriated (Victoria is a lovely place). 8 of the lazy fuckers. Why is knife crime and gun crime getting out of hand? Because our police force is pathetic. They're good at getting people for speeding and shooting completely innocent people, but dealing with the proper threats of today? Pathetic scum.

haha nice rant... 7.38/10

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Irregular hours and common assult?

They know that when they sign up and the stress councilling is second to none and most recieving it are encouraged to continue to work

Yes of course they know what they are signing up to, but it doesn't make it any easier on them! Stress counselling is probably second to none, but that does not help other ailments on top of the the usual illnesses.

I am not quite sure what is so sensational about the police having a sickness figure that is below average in the public sector. If anything, they should be applauded. Not a great fan of the 'filth'?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When working out the average sick time per employee , the figures can become skewed. You will have a number that dont have any sick time at all , then a large group who will average 5 or 6 days off sick due to colds and other minor ailments. What can make the figure rise is those employees who are on long term sick , six or 12 months and are going down the path of medical retirement.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You're telling me you can't handle a common cold/upset stomac etc when you sit in a signal box all day drinking coffee and pressing a few buttons? Jesus christ,you should try a proper hard days work on a building site pal.None of this sitting on your backside and going sick at the slightest sign of feeling unwell.What a bloody nanny state we have become.:rolleyes:

I'll leave the hard days work on building sites for hero's like you if thats ok? I prefer working in my nice cosy air conditioned signal box with fresh hot coffee or tea to drink whenever I fancy it.

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
Thanks for all the support. I find it hard to believe that there were really 8 cops dealing with one drunk woman ...

Been in the job for 13 years, 10 of those were in Brighton. Had 11 days off sick in that time. Some people take the piss but they exist in every job. As quoted in the Argus, would be interesting to see how this compares to our local authorities ...

Scum seems very hard, take it you have had a bad experience ?

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
British Bulldog said:
I'll leave the hard days work on building sites for hero's like you if thats ok? I prefer working in my nice cosy air conditioned signal box with fresh hot coffee or tea to drink whenever I fancy it.

you have a solid career, don't you young man?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Ahh but in the public sector if you feel slightly under the weather you can have a day off and know that fcuck all will happen about it, it's likely to go completely unrecorded.

It's not acceptable at all but if you work in that culture then you accept that culture. If you work on a building site you probably have fcuck all sickness 'perks' at the end of the day each industry has its plus and minuses.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do you still have a bucket to piss in when you cant leave the signal box ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here