Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can this be defended?

barney

Jul 31, 2006
easily

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “The sickness figures equate to an average of 8.5 days’ sickness per police officer in Sussex and last year we employed 3,176 police officers.

“That is just above our target of eight days per officer. However, the rate is comparable with the national sickness figures across all sectors, an average of eight days per employee, and significantly below the rate for the public sector, which is 9.8 days.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"The sickness figures equate to an average of 8.5 days’ sickness per police officer in Sussex and last year we employed 3,176 police officers."

"However, the rate is comparable with the national sickness figures across all sectors, an average of eight days per employee, and significantly below the rate for the public sector, which is 9.8 days."

Presumably other police officers are called in to cover for those on sick leave? Perhaps one of our resident coppers could clarify. I daresay that would not be the case for many positions within the public sector.

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Bit of a non story isn't it? Averages at 8.5 days per PC when the national average is 8.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Whats wrong with it then? If your sick you dont go to work it's quite simple.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
easily

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “The sickness figures equate to an average of 8.5 days’ sickness per police officer in Sussex and last year we employed 3,176 police officers.

“That is just above our target of eight days per officer. However, the rate is comparable with the national sickness figures across all sectors, an average of eight days per employee, and significantly below the rate for the public sector, which is 9.8 days.

Where the hell do they get an average of 9.8 days per year :eek:

I think we are running at less than a day in the first 6 months at my work!

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Where the hell do they get an average of 9.8 days per year :eek:

I think we are running at less than a day in the first 6 months at my work!

well then your work are doing pretty well for themselves i guess

some people are just lazy, police officers are human

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Maybe? I couldn't imagine having that much sick time in a year though

no neither could i. but at the same time, i couldnt imagine being a public sector worker and actually having the cheek to go on strike, when pay rates have grown faster there than in the private sector!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Why do you want to go to work when your sick? I certainly dont and I've no intention of doing so in the future. I'm no lover of the police but it is the sort of job where you would be expected to take duty in a fit state and if your not then you cant do the job properly.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
no neither could i. but at the same time, i couldnt imagine being a public sector worker and actually having the cheek to go on strike, when pay rates have grown faster there than in the private sector!!

Amen to that as well, Their earnings how do they compare to the private sector for a similar role?

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Amen to that as well, Their earnings how do they compare to the private sector for a similar role?

im not sure to be honest, i read an article in the FT the other day which was comparing the two, and suggesting that there should be little sympathy for the so called "hard done by" civil servants. was thoroughly enjoyable

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For a start, I am sure they are encouraged to take time off if they are ill. It would not be wise for the whole of the force to come down with something if it were contagious. It is not as if they are all doing a desk job that does requires minimum effort. They do a difficult job, in difficult conditions and need to be in a good condition. Long and irregular hours are bound to have an effect on them.

The Argus love using the freedom of information act as they know they get plenty of people that are more than willing to criticise our police force, which I see as being one of the best in the world.

As I said, I am sure they get officers to cover for them.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If i took more than 5 i would be very worried

A lot depends what type of job you do, Mine is safety critical so there's more reason to take sick leave than somebody who has a job with little or no responsibility.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
more days of sick they have,the less chances of them sticking petrol in a deisel,or the other way round,

sussex police are apparently the reigning champions of this £20,000 of garage bills last year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here