Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can this be defended?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I'm surprised the sicky rate isnt higher given the poxy new shift pattern thats just been instigated, its something like this:

early / early / late / late / night / night / night / night / night / rest day / early / late / late / late / late / later / later still / night / night / rest day / rest day / early /
later early / early late / late / slightly later /night / late night / early night / night /rest day / late / late late / twilight late / dark late / light late / night / long night / full moon night / rest day / wife leaves you on grounds you're never there /early / late / late / late / develop Seasonal Affective Disorder due to permanent darkness in life / night / night / night / mistaken for an albino in Sainsbury's, due to pale skin caused by complete lack of sunlight / late / night / night / your kids call 999 thinking a stranger is abducting them when you go to pick them up from school/rest/rest/divorce papers come through / training / early /
early / late / develop aversion to mirrors and garlic / night / night / discover ability to turn into bat after sundown / night / night / arrested by D Section
attempting to bite neck of buxom virgin / night / night / suspended on suspicion of vampirical tendencies / sue force under diversity policy / rest day / rest
day / become undead, live forever. 30 years: pensioned off. Retire to Transylvania.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't buy the safety issue at all. Mostly it is used by the unions as a tool to justify their existence. There is no way that a private company is going to want to jeopardise its reputation by compromising on safety.

You don't remember Railtrack then? They and their sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-contractors used to kill people on a regular basis :glare:

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Ok, how would you solve that then.

Are you suggesting we privatise the police force ?

privatising emergency services would never work...

"help someone is trying to rape me..."

"ok, where are you?"

"western road"

"ok we'll be there in four minutes but it will cost you 200 quid"

"200 quid? f*** off i'm gonna call up your rivals...."

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Out of interest, bearing in mind the public health service treats millions more people (and those who couldn't afford private health care) - how do you come to the conclusion that they provide "a better service".

I would imagine it far easier to manage and plan a private hospital. You know for example exactly who is likely to come through the door.

If the private hospitals had to deal with the millions that public ones do, can you prove they would perform in the same way ?

From personal experience, I had a problem with my arm a few years back and went private through work.

The treatment I got wasn't any good, so I simply stopped that (even though I wasn't paying for it) and had much much better treatment on the NHS.

To be honest a lot of the doctors (e.g. half my family) work both in the NHS and private sector. So there shouldn't be too much difference in clinical treatment. My main issue is over cost and value for money for the tax payer.

I did actually work for the NHS for a couple of years but left disillusioned with the great number of desk jobs and shamefully incompetent management that sucked the life out of any potential benefit that might have accrued from the vast swathes of cash that New Labour put into health.

Since then most of my working life has been in consultancy where my main clients have been healthcare providers. Obviously we would need the private sector to expand to cope with demand. But we already have NHS hospitals. When I become PM/Universal Dictator I don't plan to close them all. I do also know that there are a large number of UK-based and international healthcare providers who are desperate to get into our market and whose tenders for services are very impressive, both in terms of facilities and financial efficiency (actually also in terms of getting more clinical staff in too). But the government only gives out a tiny proportion of work too them. So we're stuck with this huge, old, monster that is the NHS.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
What is a scandal however is the lack of coppers full stop. Brighton & Hove for instance should put out a minimum of around 25-28 coppers during the day every day. A few days ago i came in to be told that the actual number we were putting out that day was 7 !! And get this, of those 7, 4 were brand new officers who had only just got their independent patrol status a week earlier, in other words they had less than a years service and had never been out on their own before. So thats 7 operational response coppers covering an area from Rottingdean in the East to Mile Oak in the West, on a busy summers day! Whoever sorts out resourcing issues in Sussex Police should be sacked. It puts me at risk since I have no back up and more importantly it puts you the public at risk when you dial 999 and get told no-one can turn out for however long it is because the pot is empty. That is indefensible to me not how many poxy sick days coppers have off a year. Maybe if you were one of the 7 that day it wouldn;t be long before you went off sick.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm surprised the sicky rate isnt higher given the poxy new shift pattern thats just been instigated, its something like this:

early / early / late / late / night / night / night / night / night / rest day / early / late / late / late / late / later / later still / night / night / rest day / rest day / early /
later early / early late / late / slightly later /night / late night / early night / night /rest day / late / late late / twilight late / dark late / light late / night / long night / full moon night / rest day / wife leaves you on grounds you're never there /early / late / late / late / develop Seasonal Affective Disorder due to permanent darkness in life / night / night / night / mistaken for an albino in Sainsbury's, due to pale skin caused by complete lack of sunlight / late / night / night / your kids call 999 thinking a stranger is abducting them when you go to pick them up from school/rest/rest/divorce papers come through / training / early /
early / late / develop aversion to mirrors and garlic / night / night / discover ability to turn into bat after sundown / night / night / arrested by D Section
attempting to bite neck of buxom virgin / night / night / suspended on suspicion of vampirical tendencies / sue force under diversity policy / rest day / rest
day / become undead, live forever. 30 years: pensioned off. Retire to Transylvania.

Hardly OUR fault Brighton is now a dormitory town. All the day-time crime is easily contained by a couple of minimum wage security guards in London Road :shrug:

(of course if our crims were smarter, they'd realise that, say, the New England Quarter, was completely deserted during the day while the residents are all off designing websites in London :thumbsup: )

barney

Jul 31, 2006
i just went to the toilet and didn't drip off properly.. i'm now sitting here with warm and wet boxer shorts.. time for bed i feel

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
i just went to the toilet and didn't drip off properly.. i'm now sitting here with warm and wet boxer shorts.. time for bed i feel

You see - the public sector is in chaos. Shouldn't your psychiatric nurse be helping you? This wouldn't happen in a privatised healthcare system.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What is a scandal however is the lack of coppers full stop. Brighton & Hove for instance should put out a minimum of around 25-28 coppers during the day every day. A few days ago i came in to be told that the actual number we were putting out that day was 7 !! And get this, of those 7, 4 were brand new officers who had only just got their independent patrol status a week earlier, in other words they had less than a years service and had never been out on their own before. So thats 7 operational response coppers covering an area from Rottingdean in the East to Mile Oak in the West, on a busy summers day! Whoever sorts out resourcing issues in Sussex Police should be sacked. It puts me at risk since I have no back up and more importantly it puts you the public at risk when you dial 999 and get told no-one can turn out for however long it is because the pot is empty. That is indefensible to me not how many poxy sick days coppers have off a year. Maybe if you were one of the 7 that day it wouldn;t be long before you went off sick.

I was reading the other day, a Crawley paper that the Met police were pinching the cream of the crop sussex coppers.A met officer would get a cash bonus as well as the sussex copper if he changed forces.Also the met get paid more money.How can this happen within the police force where you can poach other coppers from different areas?

barney

Jul 31, 2006
You see - the public sector is in chaos. Shouldn't your psychiatric nurse be helping you? This wouldn't happen in a privatised healthcare system.

im all for it, duce. but i assure you, this is always a risk when urinating in a rush.. private healthcare or not

Jesus christ N that's a bit bloody different isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was off work for over eight months after my bike accident not with a f***ing cold or the shits ffs

It certainly is Graham, that's why I posted, but I'd be surprised if there aren't a significant number of Sussex police officers with such longer term illnesses/injuries included in the figures the Argus has obtained.
Just ask yourself why the paper hasn't quoted these specifically?

Accidentally left out?
Could it be that they have an agenda to support (aka Andy Naylor) and so omitted 70+% of the data?
Or just maybe the FOI request only specified certain reasons for absence (either by design or due to incompetance) as well as the total figure?

So 4354 days off sick due to colds, flu, sickness and vomiting = 15.7% of the total = 1.4 days/officer/year. Is that really a big deal? The first two are viral, spread by airborne transmission and are likely to be more prevalent where subjects are routinely dealing with large, varying populations day to day (eg the general public).
3230 days due to post-operative recovery (11.7%) - what does POR actually mean as I would only put about 30% (max) of my time off down to this - say 50 days.
In total, the article accounts for 7,584 "sick days" out of 27,711 (less than 28%) and I would describe it as a lazy, selective, poor piece of reporting which just seeks to undermine the plods.
Btw, it also omits to mention that the average "sick days" per officer seems to be down by 11.5% from 9.6 this year (source - Argus website 22/5/07).

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
OK Nigel there are a couple of good points you have made.

It was a very limited breakdown of what the time off came under. Long term such as yours or mine appears to have been overlooked ?
3230 days due to post-operative recovery (11.7%) About 7 months of my 8 months would probably have come under this?
In total, the article accounts for 7,584 "sick days" out of 27,711 (less than 28%) and I would describe it as a lazy, selective, poor piece of reporting which just seeks to undermine the plods. Agree now after rereading article. Where are the missing 20,000 approx days gone?
Btw, it also omits to mention that the average "sick days" per officer seems to be down by 11.5% from 9.6 this year (source - Argus website 22/5/07). And if it's down from last year then that's an obvious improvement :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here