Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holroyd

Has Holroyd been written off too early?

• Total voters

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Totally agree he has no part to play because he is not good enough.... As my Cambridge supporting mate said ' can't believe you've spent 60k on him cause he's not good enough'

The post you quoted was over a week ago:ohmy:
How far back do you want to go to find someone who agrees with you? I think someone slagged him off in 2008 if you can find it,

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If he doesn't make the grade is it the end of the world? We took a 60k punt on a non-league player who is probably on modest wages.

Some you win (Revell), some you lose (Dixon).

BrightonSeagulls

Aug 7, 2010
Hove
13 games, Not ONE goal, honestly, another chance, i think not, barnes could score more goals with his eyes shut than holroyd can, what a bad striker down to division 2 for him

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
13 games, Not ONE goal, honestly, another chance, i think not, barnes could score more goals with his eyes shut than holroyd can, what a bad striker down to division 2 for him

13 appearances. Including some for just a few minutes. Total game time equates to less than 7 games.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Why are people so desperate to write off an Albion player? I'd rather he did well, personally. Because he plays for Brighton - who I support. Call me crazy.

My instinct is that he probably isn't up to it. But I don't think we know yet. Why the rush? He is currently third/fourth choice striker and will get chances between now and the next transfer window to show whether he is worth keeping or not. I don't see what the big deal is.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The post you quoted was over a week ago:ohmy:
How far back do you want to go to find someone who agrees with you? I think someone slagged him off in 2008 if you can find it,

I've just comeback from Turkey so missed it when it was 1st posted. He still will never make it as a prolific L1 scorer and will need to drop probably back into non-league, but as usual all the same suspects like supporting a lame duck. If we want promotion hangers on as to sadly be left by the wayside ffs.

If we want a thriving future, we have to invest in long term plans, and not dismiss someone based on short term thinking.

So Holroyd hasn't scored a goal at any level in the last year!
Hasn't got anywhere near the goal in a league game last season either, when matches didn't mean so much?
Everyone buys a dud every so often, except BHA - We must give players chance after chance after chance.
Every game that he plays & every minute of every game that he is on the pitch - we know that he is never gonna get anywhere near the goal let alone score - depriving another player who might.

I for one do not want to see him playing for the first team for a very very long time (if ever). He will need to prove himself at the reserve level at the very least.

Just because he plays for the Albion is no reason to support the player, or cheer him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So Holroyd hasn't scored a goal at any level in the last year!
Hasn't got anywhere near the goal in a league game last season either, when matches didn't mean so much?
Everyone buys a dud every so often, except BHA - We must give players chance after chance after chance.
Every game that he plays & every minute of every game that he is on the pitch - we know that he is never gonna get anywhere near the goal let alone score - depriving another player who might.

I for one do not want to see him playing for the first team for a very very long time (if ever). He will need to prove himself at the reserve level at the very least.

Just because he plays for the Albion is no reason to support the player, or cheer him.

seriously do you ever have a good thing to say about the Albion?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
seriously do you ever have a good thing to say about the Albion?

Everyone has had strikers they disliked at the albion..... Kitson .... Tiltman .... Dickinson ... Davies ...plus our home grown ones as well which some could'nt wait to see the back off ... the list is probably endless the difference with most of them is that they have ACTUALLY scored in the league which Holroyd no matter how much you butter him up doesn't actually ever look like doing d0on't hink even loaning him out would make any better

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why are people so desperate to write off an Albion player? I'd rather he did well, personally. Because he plays for Brighton - who I support. Call me crazy.

My instinct is that he probably isn't up to it. But I don't think we know yet. Why the rush? He is currently third/fourth choice striker and will get chances between now and the next transfer window to show whether he is worth keeping or not. I don't see what the big deal is.

Exactly. We've given him a contract and he'll be here until the end of it. If Poyet decides the punt failed then he just won't be in the team, he's not doing anyone any harm and it's not his fault that we haven't signed the extra striker we need. I don't think some people have the brain power to comprehend that.

Basically every time his name is mentioned Steve Foster, portslade seagull and zebedee turn it into a binfest of abuse.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Physically near the goal, that is a clear exaggeration. "Near the goal" in the sense of scoring goals is also not true.

Yes and everyone buys someone from a league or two lower, and they can take time to settle in, but eventually turn out good.

Like Gary Hart, who hasn't scored in how many years? Like Glenn Murray who didn't score at withdean last season until he had played way more than 7 games there.

No, but it is a reason to give him a chance. I'm not saying he is going to be our 25 goal a game man, or that he should start every game up front, alone and no shot should come from anyone who isn't him.

I'm saying he deserves a chance. That bits of games here and there totalling less than 7 games is not enough chance for someone stepping up a level.

Incidentally, his last goal was 28th December 2009. Less than 8 months ago.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not up to it, based on what I have seen... sorry...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Who has said they would rather he did badly?

I hope he does turn out well for us, even though he obviously won't.

How many games does a player have to play before opinions are cool?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Who has said they would rather he did badly?

I hope he does turn out well for us, even though he obviously won't.

How many games does a player have to play before opinions are cool?

There are plenty of people on here who appear to want him to fail. I just don't understand the huge rush to judge him. He's played the equivalent of SEVEN league games. In that time, his link play has been good and some of his touches have been genuinely classy. At the moment, he doesn't look like scoring. That is a concern, but it does not require the tedious "get rid" bollocks that starts whenever anyone doesn't look like Bobby Zamora IMMEDIATELY.

We play with one striker up front, and Holroyd is one of four strikers on our books (and we are expected to sign one other). Can someone explain to me the problem with him continuing to remain at Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club? I don't understand the problem.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
All this about the equivalent of 7 games is bollocks in my opinion.

He has started a couple of games here and there and had the odd 20 minutes here and there.

If he had played 7 full games and still hadnt scored then we would all have a better idea about him, but he hasnt and we dont.

Get off his back ffs, hes our player and is clearly in need of support not slagging.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There are plenty of people on here who appear to want him to fail. I just don't understand the huge rush to judge him. He's played the equivalent of SEVEN league games. In that time, his link play has been good and some of his touches have been genuinely classy. At the moment, he doesn't look like scoring. That is a concern, but it does not require the tedious "get rid" bollocks that starts whenever anyone doesn't look like Bobby Zamora IMMEDIATELY.

We play with one striker up front, and Holroyd is one of four strikers on our books (and we are expected to sign one other). Can someone explain to me the problem with him continuing to remain at Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club? I don't understand the problem.
Seems to me that it's a lot easier to attack these fictional people who want him to be the next Zamora and also fail then it is to really answer any questions.

How many times does do you have to see a player before you're allowed to form an opinion?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many times does do you have to see a player before you're allowed to form an opinion?

On the commentary tonight, Aspinall said typically a scouting target will be watched 10 times, possibly more.

If in those ten games the professionals see enough to give him a chance, shouldn't us amateurs give him at least that? We probably need even more since we're not experts at what to look for.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Even Aspinall on the radio was saying he isn't up to it and this is a scout and former proffessional.

At some point everyone will acknowledge he is shit , we always have a large amount on here that just don't see it for how it is though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because when I've seen him play he's never looked shit?

Davies has looked shit.
Dickinson has looked very shit.

Holroyd has either looked good (MOM in debut) or average, when I've seen him. He's never looked "shit" (ie bad touch, falling over, misplacing passes terribly etc).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here