Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holroyd

Has Holroyd been written off too early?

• Total voters

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I get behind all the players and thought everyone did well today... Except him. Woeful finish when clean through... Sorry but I just don't think he's up to it at all... Hope he proves me wrong...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was sort of expecting him to have bulked up over the Summer. If anything, looks even more lightweight than he was before. This boy has no part to play whatsoever in any Albion side professing to be challenging for promotion to the the next level. SAKE! About the best that can be said for him is that he's not OGH and has youth and a future career in non-league football in his favour :rolleyes:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm amazed he even looked good in the Conference.
I do have a slight suspicion that he may have been a Lloyd recommendation, but if so Gus would surely bin him. ???

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Definitely still has got chances to come i hope. Just hope that chance isn't playing up-front on his own

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bobby Zamora scored straight away, and then he was on a run. Holroyd is still waiting, that's the difference. All he needs is the first goal and then he'll be off on a run, with confidence behind him. I think he'll be a good player if we can afford to wait for him to start scoring. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll get the chance to and that will be a shame for him. I want to see him do well.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
WW and Steve Foster crapping on a player before the season has even started - great.

And yes WW you are - you started a devisive thread and then pretended you weren't pissing on the guy. Pathetic non-supporters.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can everybody please stop being kind. It's an admirable trait to be sure, but Holroyd just isn't what the Albion need at the moment. Or possibly ever needed. He's just Johnny Dixon with a better jumper. This debate is pathetic. On the one hand we're supposed to be gagging for this yada yada proven goalscorer and at the same time we're supposed to give the time of day in the first team to this random non-league no-mark. Its just ridiculous.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can everybody please stop being kind. It's an admirable trait to be sure, but Holroyd just isn't what the Albion need at the moment. Or possibly ever needed. He's just Johnny Dixon with a better jumper. This debate is pathetic. On the one hand we're supposed to be gagging for this yada yada proven goalscorer and at the same time we're supposed to give the time of day in the first team to this random non-league no-mark. Its just ridiculous.

Not really. Holroyd is on our books. He is one of our players. A football team has 11 players in it, plus subs. Showing Holroyd support, giving him a chance and wanting a 25+ goal striker are not mutually exclusive or contradictory.

The 25+ guy won't be able to do it all on his own. He will need support from the rest of the team and some fellow strikers. And wanting to give all our players a fair crack, to give them a chance before writing them off completely could help holroyd become a key supporting figure to a 25+ guy. Who knows, he could become that 25+goal scorer, if he can get some confidence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not really. Holroyd is on our books. He is one of our players. A football team has 11 players in it, plus subs. Showing Holroyd support, giving him a chance and wanting a 25+ goal striker are not mutually exclusive or contradictory.

The 25+ guy won't be able to do it all on his own. He will need support from the rest of the team and some fellow strikers. And wanting to give all our players a fair crack, to give them a chance before writing them off completely could help holroyd become a key supporting figure to a 25+ guy. Who knows, he could become that 25+goal scorer, if he can get some confidence.

Sorry, but the boy had a fairly decent runout last season. Ditto this close season. He's not hacking it. How far do you let things drift before cutting your losses and getting someone in who can move us onwards and upwards? I'd suggest we've reached that stage.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry, but the boy had a fairly decent runout last season. Ditto this close season. He's not hacking it. How far do you let things drift before cutting your losses and getting someone in who can move us onwards and upwards? I'd suggest we've reached that stage.

Fairly decent? He played alone up front at MK Dons with the midfield about 30 yards behind him most of the time. That's not what is going to bring the best out of him. It's no wonder we've seen nothing of him so far, he's rarely played with a partner. He played off Murray quite well today, and with a bit more confidence in front of goal, would have scored. As I said, he just needs to get the first goal and he's away.

I would rather we brought in someone else who is a proven scorer, don't get me wrong. But he's a Brighton player, he needs our support. Not our constant criticism and putdowns.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But it isn't that easy, is it? We've been looking for a striker all summer, so why not keep going with Holroyd in these games that don't mean a whole lot, where he might start to get that confidence he needs, at least until we manage to bring in someone better?

He played the equivalent of 7 games last season (621 mins over 13 games). How many games did Peter Crouch play for Liverpool before scoring? 21. And he ended up with a total of

Leage Apps 55 (30) Goals 22
FA Cup Apps 10 (1) Goals 5
League Cup Apps 5 (0) Goals 1
Other (incl champions league) Apps 22 (9) goals 12

Apps 92 (40) Goals 40, just under 1 in 2 starts / 1 in 3 appearances not a bad return for a third choice striker who started his career with 21 goalless appearances, is it?

Sometimes it happens that way. While we're waiting for a 25 goal man, why not be a little patient with someone who isn't totally inept on the pitch (even if his finishing currently is).

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But it isn't that easy, is it? We've been looking for a striker all summer, so why not keep going with Holroyd in these games that don't mean a whole lot, where he might start to get that confidence he needs, at least until we manage to bring in someone better?

He played the equivalent of 7 games last season (621 mins over 13 games). How many games did Peter Crouch play for Liverpool before scoring? 21. And he ended up with a total of

Leage Apps 55 (30) Goals 22
FA Cup Apps 10 (1) Goals 5
League Cup Apps 5 (0) Goals 1
Other (incl champions league) Apps 22 (9) goals 12

Apps 92 (40) Goals 40, just under 1 in 2 starts / 1 in 3 appearances not a bad return for a third choice striker who started his career with 21 goalless appearances, is it?

Sometimes it happens that way. While we're waiting for a 25 goal man, why not be a little patient with someone who isn't totally inept on the pitch (even if his finishing currently is).

Respect to all those who advocate persevering with Holroyd. On one level at least. Tho on another level its doing the Albion no favours at all.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

7 Games spread over some a copule of starts and 20 minutes at the most here and there isn't going to do f*** all for him finding rythem so that arguement doesn't hold.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
WW and Steve Foster crapping on a player before the season has even started - great.

And yes WW you are - you started a devisive thread and then pretended you weren't pissing on the guy. Pathetic non-supporters.

Yeah, that's right.

Despite the fact that I haven't even voiced my opinion I'm clearly "crapping and pissing on the guy" and aren't a supporter.

Tool.

As it happens, I'm not really sure where I sit on him. The games he played last season he was rubbish, because he got NOWHERE near the goal, and I think I gave him a caning on here. But there is something about him that looks fairly respectable - he has a good touch, skill and pace, which makes me wonder if there's a decent player in there after all (unlike Davies, who just clearly wasn't up to it at this level).

I think, deep down, he's probably not good enough. But I wouldn't be surprised if I'm proved wrong. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought, as given that he hasn't played many games, the majority of posts on here about him have been very negative.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah, that's right.

Despite the fact that I haven't even voiced my opinion I'm clearly "crapping and pissing on the guy" and aren't a supporter.

Tool.

As it happens, I'm not really sure where I sit on him. The games he played last season he was rubbish, because he got NOWHERE near the goal, and I think I gave him a caning on here. But there is something about him that looks fairly respectable - he has a good touch, skill and pace, which makes me wonder if there's a decent player in there after all (unlike Davies, who just clearly wasn't up to it at this level).

I think, deep down, he's probably not good enough. But I wouldn't be surprised if I'm proved wrong. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought, as given that he hasn't played many games, the majority of posts on here about him have been very negative.

I think your noticing what posters like me noticed last season.
He's got talent in football. (Is that even a proper sentance?)
He'll come clean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here