Holiday 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So far week in San Francisco next month and two week in Florida in August

Make sure you BOOK Alcatraz, and do it first thing in the morning, when it's very much quieter.

I actually disagree, book it for the night tour, you get to see bits you can't in the day time and get a really good tour. Plus you get really good views of the city at night

Also if you want a brilliant tour look up Dylan on trip advisor - superb

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I was really dissapointed with Grand Canyon, I don't know whether it was because I was based in Phoenix and it was a 5 hour drive each way? Perhaps the helicopter ride may have been better or approaching it from the other ridge?

The Grand Canyon has the biggest wow factor when you first see it, but pretty quickly becomes just a big hole in the ground. The reason I like places like Bryce Canyon and Zion NP is that you get to feel more part of the experience by being in the canyon so easily.
As for the long drives I know what you mean. We visited Lake Powell specifically to see Rainbow Bridge. A five hour drive and a two hour boat ride later we got to see Rainbow Bridge for all of thirty minutes. Strangely enough I still thought it was well worth it.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The Grand Canyon has the biggest wow factor when you first see it, but pretty quickly becomes just a big hole in the ground. The reason I like places like Bryce Canyon and Zion NP is that you get to feel more part of the experience by being in the canyon so easily.
As for the long drives I know what you mean. We visited Lake Powell specifically to see Rainbow Bridge. A five hour drive and a two hour boat ride later we got to see Rainbow Bridge for all of thirty minutes. Strangely enough I still thought it was well worth it.

The thing is you have to see these things if you're in the area, it's a tick box activity! I was more impressed with the Hoover Dam and the sight of Vegas and its bright lights appearing in the distance whilst approaching.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm going away in February but am waiting to see how much leave my employer will give me. I'll either be going to Bali (Indonesia) or China, depending on how many weeks off I can get.

Would like to go away again in the second half of the year, but have to plan this trip first.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I had a stunning 2 week holiday in the maldives last june and the sea plane was breath taking:)

Think i'll have two short holidays this year,thinking cyprus in may and probably the caribbean in october:)

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    881.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 172.JPG
    172.JPG
    881.8 KB · Views: 29

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I was really dissapointed with Grand Canyon, I don't know whether it was because I was based in Phoenix and it was a 5 hour drive each way? Perhaps the helicopter ride may have been better or approaching it from the other ridge?

The Grand Canyon was the biggest "Wow" ever when I first set eyes on it. You don't see it coming, that's the thing. I parked the car, crossed the road and "wow" there it was. Absolutely fecking incredible. 2nd visit, not quite the same, but still amazing.

Another "wow" was Sedona. I had vaguely heard about it, but had no idea what was there. Approached it from the south, came over the crest of a hill and there it was in the distance. Beautiful and breathtaking.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
How the hell do you get this amount of time off work may I ask? Sounds like 2012 is gonna be great for you!

I'm quite lucky in that i get 32 days holiday plus the 8 bankholidays, I work Mon - fri 9 -5 so 6 weeks plus 2 days hols - plus alot of trips i'll do over a weekend say thurs return monday then i only use 3 days holiday. If you can work to live not live to work.
Last couple of years have been similar probably the last year like this though as buying a new house next year so less cash.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I found the Grand Canyon simply stunning beyond belief.

What I would not really bother with is the Sky Walk which was rubbish.

The sheer vastness is quite incredible

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Most of our holidays have something to do with racing :lol: this year we're racing the gidy heights of:

Castle Combe
Donington
Spa (Belgium)
Lydden Hill (Kent)
Mallory Park

and we'll hopefully squeeze in a trip to Bovington Tank Museum or Centre Parcs for Arthur - he loves both!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
South Of France in July for 3 weeks........roll on the Vino, BBQ's, Fishing, Cycling and of course the Med.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Weekend in barca in feb to watch them play real soc. annoyingly they have home games same week as the Albion.

2 weeks in Mexico in April

10 days touring Ireland and visiting the family in June.

Hopefully a week in the med in September and a trip to new York in October.

Going to be a good year.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Where's the best place to go for some sun in late March? Thought of Florida's west coast (which I love), but anywhere closer with some guaranteed sunshine and warmth?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports