Hasidic Jews look like freaks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dandyman

In London village.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
With all due respect, you're talking total bollocks IMHO.

All people, no matter their culture or religion bring up their children in keeping with their own culture and religion. Don't think parents from cultures with no apparent outward expression of a fundamental set of beliefs and values are any different, because they are not.

Perhaps deep down you're jealous that the people you're calling freaks have a strong sense of identity whilst you have none ? No need to get worked up about it. :wink:

Not sure that's true.

My parents, who were probably agnostics, brought me up with no religion forced on me. I was never baptised or communed (or whatever it's called). Their position was ... learn about ALL religions when you are old enough and if you feel so inclined choose one do so ... alternatively choose none.

I was "taught" religion at school and the more I learned the more obvious it became that the whole thing was a figment of a lot of people's imaginations and in reality imposed by rulers on their people through the ages in order to instill a sense of fear and dread and keep the peasants in order.

I am now a member of the atheist religion.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure that's true.

My parents, who were probably agnostics, brought me up with no religion forced on me. I was never baptised or communed (or whatever it's called). Their position was ... learn about ALL religions when you are old enough and if you feel so inclined choose one do so ... alternatively choose none.

I was "taught" religion at school and the more I learned the more obvious it became that the whole thing was a figment of a lot of people's imaginations and in reality imposed by rulers on their people through the ages in order to instill a sense of fear and dread and keep the peasants in order.

I am now a member of the atheist religion.

So you can't see then that the way your parents brought you up was THEIR choice and NOT yours, even if their way seemingly allowed you the freedom to make your own choices when you were old enough to do so ?

To the bigots are here, the London Borough of Hackney has a proud Jewish Heritage, with Europe's largest Jewish Community and only thid to New York and Jerusalem.

The Jewish community is one of the oldest established in the London Borough of Hackney, and dates back to 1674, less than twenty years after the Jewish Re-admission to England in 1656. By 1800 there was a considerable population, especially in Stamford Hill, where members of the Montefiore and Rothschild families lived.

There was increasing immigration of Jewish people into Hackney and Shoreditch, particularly from Eastern Europe during the late 19th century. Many footwear, clothing, and - especially in Shoreditch - furniture businesses prospered. Synagogues were set up; Hackney Synagogue was founded in 1881. In the 20th century, Jewish groups played a leading role in the local, as well as the national, fight against Fascism. At the beginning of the 21st century, the Jewish presence remains strong in the Borough, particularly the Hassidic community in the Stamford Hill area.

In Stamford Hill for example, the third largest population of Hassidic Jews, refugees from programs in Poland centuries, live. Quakers have lived in Hackney for generations, and the Abney Park Cemetery in Stoke Newington has the graves of many distinguished members of the Salvation Army. Add in the large refugee and Moslem population and it can truly be said that Hackney represents London, if not the world.

So so what,

we walk around the Stamford Hill area, the Volvo's, the crap driving, the dense housing but so what. Its a religion, a deep religion, not extremist but people who are commited to their religion. Are we ignorant about our nuns, the dress they wear?

As far as I am aware there are three types of Hassidic Jews, Dandy man will know more.

What so freaky, imagine aliens looking at Brighton supporters all wearing blue and white stripes in Cardiff now that's sheep freaky.

Jewish people in Hackney have always participated in the social and political activities of the wider community. This activity, as well as evidence of Jewish businesses, political organisations and social and religious life is well represented in the archives and local history library holdings of Hackney Archives Department.

North London areas like Hampstead, Golders Green and Stamford Hill are still where the majority of Jewish Londoners lives and where most synagogues are now located.

Over a third of British Jews has a degree and they are more likely than average to work in managerial or professional occupations. Jewish Londoners are the most likely of all groups to be self-employed.

Why Volvo's? Partly because they are not German made, at least they haven't sold out.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So you can't see then that the way your parents brought you up was THEIR choice and NOT yours, even if their way seemingly allowed you the freedom to make your own choices when you were old enough to do so ?

On the basis that you are not old enough to make a choice as a child, then I think my parents' way was the right way ... don't shoehorn the kid into a religion he knows nothing about ... let him make his own decisions when he's old enough.

What they did not say to me was ... there is no god, religion is crap, don't believe any of it.

... what pisses me off is that they force their ... kids to dress the same way.

Bet their parents don't ask them, "Do you too want to look like a f***ing freak ... ?"

No, the kids are forced to dress the way [they] do. No say in the matter.

That is one of the many, many things wrong with organised [education].

Rant over.

Quite.

Choir_web.jpg

It all comes down to how you define "freak".

Quite.

It all comes down to how you define "freak".

Indeed. How many in that photo will go on to follow and practice good ethics and live with good values?

The Hasidic community are hoping that their guidance through life will be passed on by the same indoctrination and lifestyle.
To pass judgment over them in a generalization, surely you'd have to know that they were unhappy, mentally destabilized, and missing out on the wonders of free life that you enjoy.

You better be living in some kind of nirvana to be so sure that another person, in another culture, isn't.
Has anyone here passing judgment ever lived in, or with a strictly religious family?

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
It is called an eruv.

An eruv is an area within which observant Jews can carry or push objects on the Sabbath, (which lasts from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday),

Errr.... you haven't explained why they would want go to an area to "carry or push something around".

And does that mean they can do as they like after 4pm on a December Sabbath day?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Quite. It all comes down to how you define "freak".

Spot On. Its true that the blokes with the weird hats and the ringlets are a bit odd looking and that you don't need to travel to Manhattan to see them. Try the Golders Green Road in north London.

But if you want to see freakish people who force their kids to dress up in bizarre outfits you don't need to go north of the river.

Attachments

• freakishkid.jpg
    freakishkid.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 171

Dandyman

In London village.
Really?

As Resolution 181 was passed in 1947 that seems rather unlikely!!

UN Resolution 181 divided the Palestine Mandate into Arab and Jewish states. If the Arab landowners had accepted it in principle then there would have been a Palestinian state in 1948 (or according to some views a second Palestinian state as Trans-Jordan was created out of the original mandate territory after WW1). It's fair enough to be politically opposed to Israel but people should be mindful of history.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Errr.... you haven't explained why they would want go to an area to "carry or push something around".

And does that mean they can do as they like after 4pm on a December Sabbath day?

If it includes their home then it means they could do something as simple as pushing a child in a pram around outside during th Sabbath, maybe to go to the Synagogue for worship or just to go shopping, something that they wouldn't be able to do if they lived outside the eruv.

In some parts of Scotland, and many other parts of the World, restrictions are placed on many forms of activity during their holy day and religious holidays...so Judaism isn't much different to any other religion when it boils down to it.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
UN Resolution 181 divided the Palestine Mandate into Arab and Jewish states. If the Arab landowners had accepted it in principle then there would have been a Palestinian state in 1948 (or according to some views a second Palestinian state as Trans-Jordan was created out of the original mandate territory after WW1). It's fair enough to be politically opposed to Israel but people should be mindful of history.

Why should the Palestinians have accepted the UN proposals - between the beginning of the 20th century to 1947 the Jewish population had increased from 10% to 30% and the fledgling Jewish state was to be given 55% of the land including the most fertile areas!!

If something similar happened in this country today would the British people accept it lying down - of course they wouldn't!

The irony is that we got involved in WWII partly to protect the sovereignty of Polands boundaries - yet there we were 9 years later conniving to do exactly the opposite to the Palestinian people!!

It amazes me that Resolution 181 is being discussed when Israel has not abided by a single UN Resolution - the most obvious examples being;

1948 - Res 194 re the Palestinians right of return to their homes in Israel
1967 - Res 242 re withdrawal of Israel from areas captured in the '67 war.

The flagrant continued building of settlements in the West Bank and the fact that successive Israeli administration have done f*** all to accomodate Palestinian aspirations means Israel will never rest in peace!

Last edited:

Here a few more freaks
White crusty's with there dreadlocks, f***ing freaks.
Black people with there dreadlocks and wooley hats, f***ing freaks.
Moslem women in there mobile tents, f***ing freaks.
Crystal Palace fans, f***ing freaks.
Transexuals, f***ing freaks.

The list is endless.

And don't forget me.

dazzalewis1968

May 22, 2008
Just seen this post !
what is going on here ? we get a jewish chairman and now every time i log on i see another anti-jewish post which turns anti-israel post.
are jews now not wanted on northstandchat? starting to feel that way!
life long albion fan and a jew here hope's the ANTI-SEMTIC posts will stop on here soon please.:ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports