Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus refuses to apologise

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Albion are kind of my 2nd team but then are competitors to us at the top of the league so I guess im pretty neutral. I've seen you so far against Posh, last Fri v Leeds and last night.

I'm pretty surprised none of you have blamed the fact that you have played 3 important home games in the space of 6 days. You were simply tired in the 2nd half for me, as you were in the first half v Leeds.

I dont think Palace were that great, Albion were simply there for the taking. Any half decent team could have scored 3 goals in that 2nd half.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We have won FIVE, drawn two, lost two in the league and we have beaten Premiership opposition in a cup.

An apology is not necessary. He knows that was the shittest performance of the season.

I think his substitutions were at best, questionable, however I would not want an apology from the great man.

Palace seemed to have done their homework, pressing high up the pitch stopping our slow build up and it rather showed us up as not being able to adapt the style.

All in all a shit night, especially as the bloody car broke down on the A23.

I hate to say it but Palace were more up for it, fair play to them. And that hurts.

D

Deleted member 18477

when do you ever hear fergie apologising?

saying sorry is for people who will fail again in the future.

the players should not even apologise to gus. they should keep quiet and work hard! bubble has burst, but the gus bus will still go onwards and upwards!

MikeyPops

Jul 7, 2011
Worthing
Don't think it's a question of him being sorry but there is a question about tactics. Are we too defensive at home and do we play too deeply? For me Greer needed to march the defence 15 yards up the pitch last night but instead we defended way too deep and against their front three, who were excellent, invited them to attack us. You have to give Palace credit for the way they played but you could see it coming a mile off last night...

I am not subscribing to Poyet out, he is the best all round manager we have had, and that includes Mullery. This man will manage his country one day, be sure of that. However I agree in part with you Sneaky. He has dug himself a bit of a hole at the moment in that he has a rigid way of playing. As he says it his brand of football, which is the Albion brand of football. He has them well drilled in this. Against lesser teams on the day, and note I say on the day, not by form, or history or by league placings, but on the day of the match pressure is very much on individual performance of sticking to the Poyet Plan. I am sure opposing managers have sussed us out for them it is a case of having their players prepared on how to deal with us. It was evident from day 1 against Spurs in the friendly, it is there in everymatch. Keep ball at the back, pass pass pass. Keep possession till we are high up the pitch to enable to Barnes or Smith to get in and around the 6 yard box. How many goals have Smith N Barnes scored by penalties and poaching around the 6 yard box. If teams come and play like Liverpool and Leeds did with high tempo front the 6 attakers doing a lot of pressing than we will lose a lot of home matches, if they sit back a bit and try to defend we will win most. I think playing this way is half league position and that means survival which at the end of the day is probably what Poyet's brief from Mr Bloom is. Stay in the championship for as long as it takes to get to the Premiership. I would imagine Mr Blooms realistic target would be Premiership in 3/4 years and European competitions in 7/10 years. I would go along with that. Getting rid of Poyet will set us back a few years. In Gus we must trust. I agree he has absolutley nothing to apologise and any way he, like us, is probably in too much pain at the moment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I like this. Certainly a swipe at the players here:
Brighton manager Gus Poyet insisted he would have been happy with the 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace had it been to any side other than the Eagles.
Albion's unbeaten league record at the new Amex Stadium was ended by their arch-rivals with former Brighton player Glenn Murray sealing the win in stoppage time.
"I'm sad because it was Palace, if it was any other team I would welcome this because it brings people back down to earth, because we are not as good as we looked in the table," said Poyet.
"As a team if you don't want to lose one game it's against Palace, but we did and we have to take it.
"But it's good for me, I learned more in this game than from games we win.
"I'm not happy for Palace but I'm happy for Glenn, he's a good lad. The problem is we cannot seem to play for 90 minutes. I started playing in 1992, and from then until now the game has always lasted 90 minutes."

The other day he was saying we were as good as anything in the division now we are not so good. I don't understand his stance that he would apologise for things out of his control and not for things under his control, either he is being sarcastic or he has got that arse about face? The first 15 minutes were great but then we went to pieces and it has to be said nothing was changed. CMS far too isolated upfront and Dicker and Harley weak in the middle. Perhaps he should have brought Vincelot on in midfeild to replace the lightweight Dicker. If Tarricco realy needed to come off he could have switch Vincelot to that position much later. Fact was we were under the cosh for probably 75 minutes of the game last night with nothing being done tactically to make a difference. Do I think Poyet is a good manager, Yes. Have we achieved a lot in a short space of time, yes. Did he make mistakes last night, yes and therefore I do expect an apology, not for everything but for the his role. Players will apologise if they miss a goal that costs us points or the keeper blunders at the other end so why should the manager be above it.

Top managers never apologise.

And some people describe that attitude just as arrogance!!!!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Latin's never apologise, actually thats not 100% true as they do sometimes .... Just before they stick a knife between your ribs, but apart from that they never apologise.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We have won FIVE, drawn two, lost two in the league and we have beaten Premiership opposition in a cup.

An apology is not necessary. He knows that was the shittest performance of the season.

Just a shame it was against that lot!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill

You should be apologising Sim for running off early obviously with both passes thus rendering me unable to get in the North stand for beers.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
"I never say sorry. I don't say sorry to anyone. That is the easiest way to get away with a bad decision or situation. I don't like that. I say sorry when I do something I couldn't control. I was in total control, so I'm not going to say sorry to the fans or anyone."

This is a positive statement. The line "That is the easiest way to get away with a bad decision or situation" suggests to me that he doesn't want an easy way out of this. He's accepted blame and will deal with it. Very good. I have every confidence that Gus will now prove to us what he can do by going back to winning ways. Derby matches often throw up freak results. Time to move on and win matches.

cheesescone

Sep 27, 2011
Don't think it's a question of him being sorry but there is a question about tactics. Are we too defensive at home and do we play too deeply? For me Greer needed to march the defence 15 yards up the pitch last night but instead we defended way too deep and against their front three, who were excellent, invited them to attack us. You have to give Palace credit for the way they played but you could see it coming a mile off last night...

This is spot on. Greer needed to push the line up to half way, both him and Dunk were way, way too deep. we were so stretched. It was a relief to get a corner as that was the only time he approached half way. Gus is undoubtedly football geneous, but you have to wonder why the **** he didn't he tell Greer to move up? it was painful. It was all painful.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Poyet has always admitted that his game plan involves a lot of risk. Last night we got caught out, mainly through lack of fitness and insufficient desire. The game plan relies on people being comfortable on the ball, and comfortable on the ball under pressure. I fear there are a few of our defenders lacking in the latter. Greer is not great under pressure, causing him to misplace passes in key areas from tiime to time. Dunk is young. Painter had an off night and out goalie makes some poor decisions in his distribution. All this is part of Guys's "risky business". It has done us well so far and you have just got to believe that it will improve with time, practice and better players.
I would be quite happy developing all this over a couple of mid championship finishes before we hit the big time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are not 5 and I wouldn't feel 1% better for an apology tbh. A massive improvement, win or lose, in the next game will do.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I like this. Certainly a swipe at the players here:
Brighton manager Gus Poyet insisted he would have been happy with the 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace had it been to any side other than the Eagles.
Albion's unbeaten league record at the new Amex Stadium was ended by their arch-rivals with former Brighton player Glenn Murray sealing the win in stoppage time.
"I'm sad because it was Palace, if it was any other team I would welcome this because it brings people back down to earth, because we are not as good as we looked in the table," said Poyet.
"As a team if you don't want to lose one game it's against Palace, but we did and we have to take it.
"But it's good for me, I learned more in this game than from games we win.
"I'm not happy for Palace but I'm happy for Glenn, he's a good lad. The problem is we cannot seem to play for 90 minutes. I started playing in 1992, and from then until now the game has always lasted 90 minutes."

Class from Gus.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is a positive statement. The line "That is the easiest way to get away with a bad decision or situation" suggests to me that he doesn't want an easy way out of this. He's accepted blame and will deal with it. Very good. I have every confidence that Gus will now prove to us what he can do by going back to winning ways. Derby matches often throw up freak results. Time to move on and win matches.

Yup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jan 2, 2011
"I never say sorry. I don't say sorry to anyone. That is the easiest way to get away with a bad decision or situation. I don't like that. I say sorry when I do something I couldn't control. I was in total control, so I'm not going to say sorry to the fans or anyone."

I'm sure several people told me recently how classy old monkey boy was???

This attitude is anything but classy, what an arrogant prick!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here