Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green party!! parking law abiding citizens £20 , gypsy free loaders nothing

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
There is your first problem. maybe you could try having a nut roast with them instead. Respect their beliefs man.

Thats not the problem I have with them. Those Cnuts ruined my life. Robbed me of It practically.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Parking prices between the king Alfred and the west pier (as of last month):-
1 hour £3.50
2 hours £6.00
6 hours £10.00
11 hours £20 (twenty bloody quid)

It used to be (as of about three months ago
1 hour £1.20
2hours £2.something
10 hours £4 !!!!!!!

Not only have the prices increased by this 'beyond rediculous' amount but the parking charge hours have lengthened from 9am-6pm to 9am to 8pm.

This is completely unfair on tourists and residents, it WILL NOT stop people driving to Brighton, but if they don't have to it will probably stop them coming at all!

Green party are ruining our great city.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not only have the prices increased by this 'beyond rediculous' amount but the parking charge hours have lengthened from 9am-6pm to 9am to 8pm.

This is completely unfair on tourists and residents, it WILL NOT stop people driving to Brighton, but if they don't have to it will probably stop them coming at all!

Why is it unfair on residents? What residents would spend all day parked on the seafront when we have a pretty good bus service?

As someone who has become appalled at the road traffic build up in our city over the past 20 years - and this is before The Green Party grew in strength here - I think measures to encourage public transport use, and discourage unnecessary car use should be considered and welcomed. It's not as though this is the first council to do this sort of thing. A few years ago, people (non-Greens espcially) on here were actively hoping for a congestion charge in the city.

I'm quite glad someone has had the balls to tackle this head on. Previous administrations have tinkered at the edges; this one, thankfully in association with Labour and the Conservatives, has gone for it.

I find there is an awful lot of knee-jerk reaction to this - it's very similar to when North Laine roads were closed at weekends, or when London Road was closed southbound to private cars, or when bus lanes were introduced - or more pretinently when claims that 'lives would be ruined' when the Albion moved into Withdean and then into Falmer. Nothing of the sort happened. People are adaptable and will find ways of not paying, including parking in areas where it isn't £20 for a day's parking. (£7.50 for nine hours in the North Laine).

Is doing it this way the answer? It's certainly eye-watering, but unfortunately habits needed to change. I'm not sure I know what the alternative answer(s) is/are. Someone said we're being forced into not driving. That, of course, is nonsense. No-one is forcing or compelling anyone to do anything. If we were being forced into anything, roads would be closed and cars banned. While charging £20 for a whole day's parking is of course steep, it doesn't necessarily follow that it will automatically stop people coming. Thankfully, the city's economy isn't limited to families with three children carting the picnic around. People come to Brighton because it is Brighton, and they will adapt accordingly - including considering the train more often.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Or they realise that roughly 80% of tourists that visit Brighton arrive by train. Anyone who drives down, frankly, should have to wear an "I Am A C**t" T-shirt for the entire visit, should have to pay £10 to every local resident they encounter who demands 'tourist tax', whilst a specially trained group of seagulls* spend the entire time they are parked up shitting on the roof and bonnet of their car.

*actual seagulls, although if Albion fans fancy it, maybe as special treat for 4x4s, fair enough.

So people who come to brighton by car, as a way of maybe visiting the surrounding area with no access by train, are *****?

super-seagulls

Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Why is it unfair on residents? What residents would spend all day parked on the seafront when we have a pretty good bus service?
It will affect residents indirectly, E.G. If parking on the seafront is no longer possible people will find other places/means to park, clogging up streets reserved for residents, maybe. Also some local people's buisnesses will surely suffer. And the busses are ok unless you live just outside the city and work night-times as well as daytimes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It will affect residents indirectly, E.G. If parking on the seafront is no longer possible people will find other places/means to park, clogging up streets reserved for residents, maybe.

OK, I'll buy that to a point. It's anecdotal, of course, but I suspect many regular or semi-regular visitors to Brighton, especially those from London, gave up on driving to Brighton ages ago, and are perfectly happy to travel by train. Similarly, when I go to London, I never drive - but it doesn't stop me going.

Also some local people's buisnesses will surely suffer.

Unless you're talking about the perceived reduction in visitors, and you are talking specifically about parking, I'm not sure how they will suffer.

And the busses are ok unless you live just outside the city and work night-times as well as daytimes.

Well, they're not really classed as residents, which I thought was your point.

My central point is that Brighton is Brighton, and people come here because they like it. The train, especially for some if not most people, is an attractive method of getting here. I agree it is taking some visitors for granted to slap a hefty all-day parking charge on them in a supposedly prime spot, but in this instance we have a council specifically prepared to tackle the traffic issue head on. I'm sure someone can come up with a better solution to reducing private car traffic in Brighton, in which case - let's hear it...

The Green Party may well suffer the consequences later at the ballot box (or they may not), but I don't necessarily see the next administration taking prices down to the parking cost levels of Eastbourne or Worthing or Chichester.

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Some of us do not like sharing vehicles with other people, some of us like our own personal space.

We are not all tree huggers in love with buses.
You appear obsessed with getting people on buses :shrug:
I have to have a vehicle for my business, so that expense is already there to earn my living.
I cant afford to take the entire family on a bus, its too expensive, you on your own may see the benefits as a single fare but families live in Brighton too.
Previously i could take them down and pay for parking, now i can't, it too expensive. you just don't see the other side of the coin do you? You seem to be only able to view it from your prospective.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some of us do not like sharing vehicles with other people, some of us like our own personal space.

We are not all tree huggers in love with buses.
You appear obsessed with getting people on buses :shrug:
I have to have a vehicle for my business, so that expense is already there to earn my living.
I cant afford to take the entire family on a bus, its too expensive, you on you own may see the benefits as a single fare but families live in Brighton too.
Previously i could take them down and pay for parking, now i can't, it too expensive. you just don't see the other side of the coin do you? You seem to be only able to view it from you prospective.

And you're only viewing it from your perspective. I'm not sure how valid your comment on public transport is, bearing in mind - by your own admission - your experience of buses is stuck 30 years ago.

You've said this before, and you were wrong about me then, and you're wrong now. My point of view is, and I've said this before... I have nothing against car travel - I do it myself. I do have an issue with unnecessary car travel - what defines 'unnecessary'?; that's open to interpretation, and is down to the beholder. I have my value system as to when I think I could or should use my car, at which point I will consider other forms of travel. Is considering using a range of transport types, only coming from one perspective...?

I am aware of the costs of bus fares, and I find it appalling that Brighton & Hove Buses (NOT The Green Party, as some wrongly think) set the single prices so high. I don't know how large your family is, but I assume you have researched how much it costs to get your family around the city on the bus, compared to parking...? For the sake of an example, I'll go the nuclear family option route, and suggest that it's 2 adults and 2 kids. That would work out at £10.80 for all day bus travel. I do appreciate that's steep, but it's also comparable with all-day parking before the price hike. Just a suggestion, like.

I'd say my 'obsession' with getting people on buses doesn't come close to holding a candle to your horror at the notion of you getting on one.

Oh, and 'tree huggers'? Do I even look like a tree hugger...?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I agree. Public transport is a nightmare for some families. If you've got children, buggies etc, and don't live near a station, you'd rather drive. Those crazy prices are - crazy.
While I agree, it's not their fault, it's the choice of people who voted green. If you want people to be able to use a car, don't vote green.

super-seagulls

Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I agree. Public transport is a nightmare for some families. If you've got children, buggies etc, and don't live near a station, you'd rather drive. Those crazy prices are - crazy.
While I agree, it's not their fault, it's the choice of people who voted green. If you want people to be able to use a car, don't vote green.

Of course it is their fault, even though SOME people voted for them, it doesn't, sorry shouldn't, give them the right to EXPLOIT people!
What is the point of all those spaces on Kings road, which are now not being used because of the unreasonable prices!
Literally a waste of space (just like those pesky Greens!

AGT

Apr 13, 2011
Has anyone noticed that the charge goes on to 8pm so they catch the people who want to go to the cinema etc. I went to a concert yesterday evening (Fri 18/5) which started at 7.30pm...had to pay £3.50. Last concert I shall come to Brighton for.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
By all means crank up the prices, but only when a fleet of sleek, affordable buses sit in vast car parks outside the city, ready to whizz people in to the realms of God's own city.

Don't hold people to ransom and scare them away.

As far as the opening post is concerned. There have been permanent 'travelling' residents on the seafront by the KA for years and no one seems to bat an eyelid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who wants to start the poll 'Greens out, yes or no'?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
By all means crank up the prices, but only when a fleet of sleek, affordable buses sit in vast car parks outside the city, ready to whizz people in to the realms of God's own city.

Don't hold people to ransom and scare them away.

As far as the opening post is concerned. There have been permanent 'travelling' residents on the seafront by the KA for years and no one seems to bat an eyelid.

I find it awful just how much Brighotn & Hove Buses get away with these larcenous fare increases. You've got people on here whining till they grizzle about car parking charges - rightly so, perhaps - but when it comes to buses, they don't bat an eyelid.

And you still have people blaming the council for the bus prices.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Oh, and 'tree huggers'? Do I even look like a tree hugger...?

I'll concede that one, no you don't :lol:

I am aware of the costs of bus fares, and I find it appalling that Brighton & Hove Buses (NOT The Green Party, as some wrongly think) set the single prices so high. I don't know how large your family is, but I assume you have researched how much it costs to get your family around the city on the bus, compared to parking...? For the sake of an example, I'll go the nuclear family option route, and suggest that it's 2 adults and 2 kids. That would work out at £10.80 for all day bus travel. I do appreciate that's steep, but it's also comparable with all-day parking before the price hike. Just a suggestion, like.

Family is 5 but none have concession cards so have to pay full price for all of them.

I do use buses infrequently but not unless there is no alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here