Green party!! parking law abiding citizens £20 , gypsy free loaders nothing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, the council doesn't set the rules. Bus services were deregulated by the Thatcher government in 1985 and the council was forced to sell its bus company. Free competition is allowed and has happened. Curiously, the low cost alternative, The Big Lemon, has more or less given up, because most people CHOSE to travel on B&H Buses on the route where the two companies were in competition. Frequency of service is what people want. And, to take advantage of this, regular passengers chose to buy Saver tickets from B&H, rather than cheap single fares from the low cost competitor.
So B&H buses is completely independent, and anyone could run buses. Blimey, I stand corrected.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Maybe it is although I'd be interested to know what act of parliament makes it so.

My point was that you like to pick up any slight inconsistency or error people post on here ( even more so when it comes to the Green Party ). Yet what you posted was entirely incorrect but I guess that's because Councillor Barnett is a Tory so the same standards don't apply.

Maybe it is although I'd be interested to know what act of parliament makes it so.

My point was that you like to pick up any slight inconsistency or error people post on here ( even more so when it comes to the Green Party ). Yet what you posted was entirely incorrect but I guess that's because Councillor Barnett is a Tory so the same standards don't apply.

We were originally talking about the OP's original contention - though it since morphed into being about the extortionate parking charges - that the Greens are allowing travellers to pitch up where they like, which of course is nonsense.

What happened in the instance I was talking about was that Cllr Barnett sent letters to the travellers telling them that Queens Park and The Level were far more appropriate places to pitch up, and that they should go there. The Standards Committee at the council found her guilty of bringing the office of councillor into disrepute, though you're quite right about her actions not being illegal - I didn't get that bit right.

Her otherwise good conduct as a councillor meant she received no further punishment.

Naturally, the whole thing ended up as one big muck-slinging match.

Well I would like to see some stas for that. It may be a case that direct income may be higher but I'm betting on that being swamped by the derived demand from tourism with 6 million ?visitors. I am also betting that income from foreign students packs a big punch who although are not tourists as such are trANSITORY visitors.
I dare say the statistics are out there, but that wasn't the basis for claiming that traditional visitor business for the many small hoteliers began to be abandoned in the sixties. Two major factors kicked in. The first was the opening of Sussex University, creating a massive need for student accommodation. Guest house and small hoteliers met this need, by renting out the whole of their premises to students from September to June. Some kept serving the traditional week-long holiday makers over the summer, but I know of some who shut down in July, so that they could go on holiday to Spain, on the proceeds of the 9 months steady income they'd made from student lettings. The second factor was the opening of the Brighton Conference Centre, which flagged up the future for many of the medium-sized hotels. The traditional seaside holiday didn't die out immediately, but it didn't take long before it was barely featuring in the plans of most Brighton hoteliers and guest house propietors.

When I first came to Brighton as a student in the sixties, I lived in a guest house for my first year - and I remember a conversation with my landlord (who was Chairman of the Brighton and Hove Hotels and Restaurants Association) and he told me that most of his colleagues saw the future as something other than 'bucket and spade' visitors. He was right.

To this day, students continue to shape the accommodation market in Brighton. Not ignoring the related 'buy-to-let' boom of a few years back.

So B&H buses is completely independent, and anyone could run buses. Blimey, I stand corrected.
Not entirely independent. The company is part of the Go-Ahead Group, who run buses all over the UK and (in partnership with Keolis, the largest private sector transport operator in France *) Southern Trains, South Eastern Trains and London Midland Trains.

* I say "private sector", but that's slightly misleading, since the largest shareholder in Keolis is SNCF, the French nationalised railway company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports