Green party!! parking law abiding citizens £20 , gypsy free loaders nothing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I find it awful just how much Brighotn & Hove Buses get away with these larcenous fare increases. You've got people on here whining till they grizzle about car parking charges - rightly so, perhaps - but when it comes to buses, they don't bat an eyelid.

And you still have people blaming the council for the bus prices.
Who doesn't bat an eyelid? I think the bus fairs are too high, so I don't use them, but that particular issue doesn't effect me too much.

I blame the council for the bus prices - are you saying it's not their fault?
That's not what you suggested.

If you want to canvass opinion about who should run the council, you should ask 'Who should run the council?'

'Greens Out' - which is what you said, doesn't cover it.
Well this is NSC, it wouldn't be right if the poll wasn't a bit sensationalist. And my question isn't who should run the council, it's should someone other than the Greens run the council, so 'Greens out' covers it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I find it awful just how much Brighotn & Hove Buses get away with these larcenous fare increases. You've got people on here whining till they grizzle about car parking charges - rightly so, perhaps - but when it comes to buses, they don't bat an eyelid.

And you still have people blaming the council for the bus prices.

Probably because they are scared away from buses due to the prices anyway. Why travel with legions of strangers when you can, or at least could, travel in your own car for similar prices. Certainly once you get in over two occupants.

Bus prices are obscene, unless one is able to take advantage of a long term ticket, and even then they are expensive. Go Ahead do pretty well, don't they?

I'd rather travel on a Big Lemon type bus. The state of the vehicle doesn't bother me. But, of course, old Roger French didn't like the competition.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
And you're only viewing it from your perspective. I'm not sure how valid your comment on public transport is, bearing in mind - by your own admission - your experience of buses is stuck 30 years ago.

You've said this before, and you were wrong about me then, and you're wrong now. My point of view is, and I've said this before... I have nothing against car travel - I do it myself. I do have an issue with unnecessary car travel - what defines 'unnecessary'?; that's open to interpretation, and is down to the beholder. I have my value system as to when I think I could or should use my car, at which point I will consider other forms of travel. Is considering using a range of transport types, only coming from one
perspective...?

I am aware of the costs of bus fares, and I find it appalling that Brighton & Hove Buses (NOT The Green Party, as some wrongly think) set the single prices so high. I don't know how large your family is, but I assume you have researched how much it costs to get your family around the city on the bus, compared to parking...? For the sake of an example, I'll go the nuclear family option route, and suggest that it's 2 adults and 2 kids. That would work out at £10.80 for all day bus travel. I do appreciate that's steep, but it's also comparable with all-day parking before the price hike. Just a suggestion, like.

I'd say my 'obsession' with getting people on buses doesn't come close to holding a candle to your horror at the notion of you getting on one.

£10.80 for the day is the most you would have to pay - its a lot cheaper if you travel from Brighton Station (adults £2.00 each), plus bus with train fare is only £2.00 pre adult or less if you have a concessionary card, or buy a saver at a shop, on the internet, kids are only 30p if they have a photo card. Also you can get a family Explorer ticket for £10:00, for two adults and three children which covers most buses in Sussex and surrey for the day including all of Brighton and Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course I'm saying it's not their fault. Why do you blame the council? :shrug:

It's the bus company (Go Ahead) who set the bus fares, not the council.
The council set the rules the bus company operates within. It's completely within the control of the council. There's no competition, we couldn't set up our own bus company to give consumers choice.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
£10.80 for the day is the most you would have to pay - its a lot cheaper if you travel from Brighton Station (adults £2.00 each), plus bus with train fare is only £2.00 pre adult or less if you have a concessionary card, or buy a saver at a shop, on the internet, kids are only 30p if they have a photo card. Also you can get a family Explorer ticket for £10:00, for two adults and three children which covers most buses in Sussex and surrey for the day including all of Brighton and Hove

Its no good quoting that i can travel all over Sussex & Surrey as i only want to travel from one of the suburbs to the seafront.
Kids don't have concessionary cards, so its £4.40 x 5 not £10.80 (which is still way too high to consider a viable way to travel)

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The title says it all really let the debate begin . The green party wanna charge you £20 to park for a few hours in madera drive if you own a car & wanna take your family out for the day , but if your an Irish gipsy you can stick your caravan any where in Brighton for a few months & dump all your shit for free .

How dare you mention the truth. Not PC!

The council set the rules the bus company operates within. It's completely within the control of the council. There's no competition, we couldn't set up our own bus company to give consumers choice.
No, the council doesn't set the rules. Bus services were deregulated by the Thatcher government in 1985 and the council was forced to sell its bus company. Free competition is allowed and has happened. Curiously, the low cost alternative, The Big Lemon, has more or less given up, because most people CHOSE to travel on B&H Buses on the route where the two companies were in competition. Frequency of service is what people want. And, to take advantage of this, regular passengers chose to buy Saver tickets from B&H, rather than cheap single fares from the low cost competitor.

Its no good quoting that i can travel all over Sussex & Surrey as i only want to travel from one of the suburbs to the seafront.
Kids don't have concessionary cards, so its £4.40 x 5 not £10.80 (which is still way too high to consider a viable way to travel)

WRONG!

"Kids" (actually young people aged 5 - 19) can get a Bus ID pass (free of charge), and get discounted bus travel on B&H Buses:-

travel for 30p for any one-way journey, anytime, any day, when travelling with an adult. (up to 3 busID holders can travel per adult)

travel for just 60p for any one-way journey at weekends, designated school holidays and after 6pm on schooldays when travelling alone

child fare (half the adult fare) on schooldays up to 6pm when travelling alone

reduced rate SAVERs:-
1 day CitySAVER £2.20 (from bus driver)
1 day SuperSAVER £3.25 (from bus driver)
1 week SAVER £10 (from bus driver) or £8 (from the B&H website or from 1 Stop Travel)

3 month SAVER £80 (from the website or from 1 Stop Travel)

and coming soon a 12 month SAVER £250 (from the website or from 1 Stop Travel)

Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company

busIDcard.gif

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Based on what you told me on the previous thread regarding bus travel that was proved to be a blatant lie or your complete lack of knowledge on bus fares (For which you never responded,I assumed as you were too embarrassed to reply)

I regrettably cannot trust anything you say regarding bus travel. Sorry.

Last edited:

If you get into SmartSaver tickets (£3.20 a day), the price of a return trip for two adults and three BusID passholders, between the suburbs and the seafront and back is £8.20.

Based on what you told me on the previous thread regarding bus travel that was proved to be a blatant lie or your complete lack of knowledge on bus fares (For which you never responded,I assumed as you were too embarrassed to reply)

I regrettably cannot trust anything you say regarding bus travel. Sorry.
Sorry, I missed that accusation. What "blatant lie"?

Read the B&H Bus Company website, if you want to understand bus fares.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Greens have an agenda like all parties.

It involves hating cars.

So what kind of wankers would elect them in a tourist resort?

A bit Like Norfolk electing The Vegan Society to run the council.

WTF? LOL

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, I missed that accusation. What "blatant lie"?

Coldean, Moulsecoomb and Bevendean have fewer stops with shelters than most other parts of Brighton and the Vogue Gyratory is dangerous for cyclists, pedestrians and general traffic. Transport improvements aren't just about visitors.

As for bus tickets ... there are no such things as return tickets in the Brighton and Hove city area. You can buy a single (flat fare) ticket or, for shorter journeys, a short-hop ticket, and then there are the all-day-as-many-buses-as-you-want CitySAVER, SAVER tickets or Centrefare tickets.

Remember?

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Could only imagine what it would be like if the Green Party somehow managed a majority government

Would either be very good or very bad

Do believe in their sustainability ideology though

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So what kind of wankers would elect them in a tourist resort?

WTF? LOL

According to LB we ceased to be a tourist resort back in the 60's

As for visitors, Brighton is rammed with cars, especially on Sundays. The pro-public transport policies of the council don't seem to be deterring car-borne visitors.

The seaside holiday came to an end in Brighton in the 1960s, when the hoteliers decided that their future lay in conferences and providing student accommodation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports