Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Guitarists- where does your favorite come

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree that it all comes down to taste in music. I would put in a personal, plea for:
  • Duane Allman - had made more good music by the time of his death in a motorcycle accident at the age of 24 than most of the people on this list in a lifetime. was the "other guitarist" in Derek and the Dominoes because he was Eric Clapton's favourite
  • Ry Cooder - new album in 2011 which is possibly as good as anything he has ever done... and he worked among others with
  • Ali Farka Toure - legendary African Blues Guitarist
  • And what about Django Reinhardt - invented Jazz Guitar with only three usable fingers on one hand.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Agree that it all comes down to taste in music. I would put in a personal, plea for:
  • Duane Allman - had made more good music by the time of his death in a motorcycle accident at the age of 24 than most of the people on this list in a lifetime. was the "other guitarist" in Derek and the Dominoes because he was Eric Clapton's favourite
  • Ry Cooder - new album in 2011 which is possibly as good as anything he has ever done... and he worked among others with
  • Ali Farka Toure - legendary African Blues Guitarist
  • And what about Django Reinhardt - invented Jazz Guitar with only three usable fingers on one hand.

• duane allman - bloody excellent shout.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Also agree about Al Di-Meola. Played many years ago - in the 70's - with Chick Corea's return to Forever among others.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As with any list today the majority of voters are under 25 and so all the votes go to people who have not even reached their forties. A more selective crowd would not have BB King, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Alex Lifeson et al so far down the list.

I know most folks think Rockabilly and Psychobilly is bland and predicable which is in most cases true, However I feel the list is complete rubbish going all the way to 500 there is only The Rev Horton Heath at No328 below the likes of complet dross and Dick Dale at No331 is a also madness in my eyes the scene I follow does produce great guitar players who I feel should be in the top 100 at least like P.Paul Fench from the Meteors and Boz from the Polecats and Morrissey at present. Rant over

I feel your pain there Pf, and having been only a few feet away from Jim Heath just a couple of weeks ago (and JIMBO leaning forward to high-five with me after a bass solo :>), I can only agree that he, Brian Setzer, Link Wray, and Junior Brown could be placed among the rates players.
Some of them good 'ol Country pickers could slice through a few frets too - and let's not forget the origin of Rockabilly and Rock and Roll has a place in Country and Western. Not the weepy almost hawaiian style of playing, but when they're rocking through those strings you'll hear where the intro to 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'Money For Nothing' might have slipped out one day while Keith Richards or Mark Knopfler were noodling.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Total turd that list. I truth list like this are totally subjective. For what its worth they missed the following:

BB King
Davey Lane
George Harrison
Muddy Waters

Also the top 10 drummers leaves out:

Dave Grohl
Russell Hopkins

Hendrix was something new in his time and without his style of playing and what he got from his guitar certainly made others take it up, but I think others who came after him are and were better. How does one start to judge who's better than who. I don't think that the Beatles are the best band of all time as some think. It's all down to musical differences and tastes and being in the right place at the right time.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Most, if not all deserve to be recognised as being quality players on this list but not in that order IMHO.

I'm learning to play at the mo and it's bloody hard I tell ya!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
love led zep,therefore big fan of jimmy page,but hendrix is no1

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Playing Stockholm too, so I'll be there for our date too!
His new album sounds promising - perhaps a little more Gary Moore than I expected

[yt]pnqTINa-VBg[/yt]

To be honest, I'd never heard of him up until a few months back when a neighbour who knows what kind of music I like asked me if I wanted to go. He lent me the Album "2" by Black Country Communion which I loved so now I'm going. He's just lent me some solo stuff as well.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
To be honest, I'd never heard of him up until a few months back when a neighbour who knows what kind of music I like asked me if I wanted to go. He lent me the Album "2" by Black Country Communion which I loved so now I'm going. He's just lent me some solo stuff as well.

I've been into his solo stuff for about 5 years & have been waiting for him to play a gig in this area. Can't wait to see him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here