May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd have Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour much higher up that list

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Rory

My claim to fame is that I jammed with him when I was 16. Tangerine studio's 1972/3. LEGEND AND SHOULD BE UP THERE WITH THE BEST(not me but Rory!)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Didnt even see my favourite on the list and i was up in the late 200's....

Ernest Ranglin

Great reggae guitarist who came from jazz background, think he played with the Paris jazz bands way back in the day... if you hear nice guitar on Studio One recordings, its probably Ernest Ranglin.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Rubbish list except Hendrix who is miles ahead of any other guitarist ever imo.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know most folks think Rockabilly and Psychobilly is bland and predicable which is in most cases true, However I feel the list is complete rubbish going all the way to 500 there is only The Rev Horton Heath at No328 below the likes of complet dross and Dick Dale at No331 is a also madness in my eyes the scene I follow does produce great guitar players who I feel should be in the top 100 at least like P.Paul Fench from the Meteors and Boz from the Polecats and Morrissey at present. Rant over

James Burton, Muddy Waters, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanon, Allan Holdsworth, Mike Bloomfield, Paul Gilbert, Steve Howe, Jan Ackerman, Harvey Mandel, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Freddie King, Albert Collins.......

[yt]jr5-9UImcTE[/yt]

And a couple of young chaps having a bit of fun;

[yt]LljCi_vsQz4[/yt]

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Problem is your view of the best guitarists is inevitably going to be tainted by your taste in music; the hard rockers go for Slash, Van Halen etc, the jangly indie boys go for Johnny Marr, etc, etc.

For me:

Jimi Hendrix
John Frusciante - incredible feel and tone. The closest to a true melodic successor to Jimi Hendrix.
Matt Bellamy - Painfully talented, does all the showy stuff while never losing melody or purpose.
Jonny Greenwood
George Harrison
Jack White
Jimmy Page
Josh Homme

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why do most people always go for rock guitarists when they think of great guitarists. Al Di Meola blows almost all rock guitarists into the weeds without even breaking a sweat but most people have never heard of him.

What I just said. Taste in music. Also what people think a guitarist's job is varies from person to person. You will never get agreement on these lists.

From a quick google it would seem that guy is a bit of an bedroom guitarist (amazing technique but no melodic talent), am I wrong?

I'll always be more impressed by Paul McCartney or Thom Yorke playing 4 chords on a piano than 10,000 notes in 10 seconds and similar technically clever stuff.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
#42 Yngwie J. Malmsteen ? I have seen him live (among many on the list) and I would say he should be in the top ten. Stevie Ray Vaughan should be very near the top, as should Dave Gilmour.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Most certainly THIS!!!
Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, Darrell Abbott, Randy Rhoades, Eddie Van Halen, Malmsteen, must all be deserving of place if that list is anything to go by.
Buckhead- Umm, never known him to play a 12 string, or Jazz, or play in a rock orchestra and also Shred, so might as well drop Alex Skolnick in instead, who has done all these.

This, that top ten is wank. Also make space for Michael Romeo.

What I just said. Taste in music. Also what people think a guitarist's job is varies from person to person. You will never get agreement on these lists.

From a quick google it would seem that guy is a bit of an bedroom guitarist (amazing technique but no melodic talent), am I wrong?

I'll always be more impressed by Paul McCartney or Thom Yorke playing 4 chords on a piano than 10,000 notes in 10 seconds and similar technically clever stuff.

What Al? No, not at all. He is an amazing jazz fussion guitarist and has been at the forefront of that kind of playing for decades. Some of the best guitarists are people none of us have ever heard of.

The best session blokes can get about 2 to 3,000 per minute in the studio because they can go in, make an oasis track sound great in 2 minutes and leave again. they will never be on top of the pops but they are the ones playing the guitar on the singles.

Supposedly all the guitar tracks laid down by oasis for What's the Story were apparently dumped and sessions brought in to make it sound decent.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
jan akkerman - fantastic shout!

What about John williams and Jose feliciano? they are incredible classical guitarists

I would also have Steve hackett very high up that list!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports