Greatest Guitarists- where does your favorite come

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh Dear, no doubt a list compiled by a teenage septic with a very limited record collection?

Can I add both Vini Reilly and Robert Fripp as my votes?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tommi whatsisface from black sabbath
Lead guitarist for deepq purple
Carlos Santana
Chris Thomson

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Peter green fleet wood mac

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Peter green fleet wood mac

Good shout.

Mind you, looking at that list, how can you compare bass guitarists with rhythm guitarists? Would Hendrix have been able to do all the stuff he did without Noel Redding? Can you really compare Mark King with, say, Van Halen? Peter Hook with Johnny Marr? Bernard Butler with George Harrison?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
There's no such thing as "best guitarist ever". And if there was, this list certainly ain't it.

Chuck Berry #119?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
oh and not having realised initially it went past the Top Ten.....117 Steve Hackett.

oh and Zappa 77th....Steve Howe 88th....my days, what a list.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What a totally crap list - more crap on it than Stains, Pompey and Palarse put together!

And so many names missing that the wee nurd probably hasn't heard of!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
David Gilmour down as far as 22? Balls to that.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Are John Williams, Charlie Christian or T-Bone Walker not regarded as guitarists or are only Rockers eligible?

Ci Sgoti

Feb 22, 2011
Stanley Jordan

Just cos british guitarists went and got mushed does not mean they were any where near good.

Quite how N Drake played and sung like he did was a wonder,
John Williams pisses on Hank williams
Hank Willams pisses on Lynnox

Its all subjective ;0

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I foolishly followed up a link on that page; 'Best Rock Drummers'.

#4 Tre Cool of Green Day

#8 John Bonham of Led Zeppelin

I put my fist through my Mac and have forwarded the bill to that site.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No mention of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Lowell George, Nils Lofgren, I could go on, what a pointless list, half of them I've never heard of. Clearly whoever compiled this list is still a child, I'm surprised that they've even heard of Jimi Hendrix.

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
Where the hell is Geordie from Killing Joke??? He may not do all the 'widdly widdly' crap but he builds up huge walls of guitar noise which manage to be both beautiful & aggressive.

Rory Gallagher. Ireland.

Edit: Oh, not come from, but where they come in the shitty poll. :tutsloudly:

I'd mirror this post, and yes these polls are bollocks.

Rory was the ultimate, consummate player. I saw Slash get dragged onstage to play with Rory, and mentioned to him how it must be amazing to be able to jam with the great man - Slash just gave me an attitude like HE was the man. Now of course, Slash speaks with reverend tones about Rory Gallagher - but I'm not sure he was mature enough at the time to appreciate the moment.

Jeff Beck is the ultimate living guitarist - though I suspect that somewhere in some going-nowhere band of chancers doing cover versions in pubs, there's a legend who will never become famous because he chose to just scrape up a little beer money on the side doing that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports