Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer - been good for us....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No question we need a new centre back who is strong in the air and pacy on the ground (marginal weaknesses in both GG and AeA's game but at this level the margins are very fine) as well as having the passing ability of both Gordon and Adam.

Who drops out? Could be either I think. Gordon made some great blocks yesterday. Adam outmuscled Zigic despite the height disparity. Gordon has good organising skilLs and can see and play a long pass. Adam plays simple short passes and is always available. Gordon is unflustered. Adam is a brilliant WUM.

They complememt each other. When the new guy comes whoever he is he will have his own set of strengths and will play better with one than the othdr

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Do you seriously believe that? Because you start a moronic thread?

Sorry, why is this "a moronic thread"?!

It simply says Greer has been good for us, but I'm wondering if he's past his best. Lots of NSCers have come on here with their well thought through views, you just seem to have lost the plot and got really antagonised! I rest my case, you seem to have been on here all night and all day - unless you can multi-task this is proof of my theory - you're not getting any!!!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

It simply says Greer has been good for us, but I'm wondering if he's past his best. Lots of NSCers have come on here with their well thought through views, you just seem to have lost the plot and got really antagonised! I rest my case, you seem to have been on here all night and all day - unless you can multi-task this is proof of my theory - you're not getting any!!!!
Not to sure what a posters sex life has to do with Gordon Greer's football capabilities to be honest

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I think it is the fact you had to get personal and weren't really arguing your point and basically ran out of ideas for why he shouldn't be our CB any more. All I did was give you facts about our defence, and asked you why we'd need to drop one of our back five when it is working perfectly well. I still don't know what your point is.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
And in reply, I said it's not working perfectly well is it, we've thrown away 12 points this season by giving away leads, usually by sitting too deep, which is Gus's scriticsm in his post match interview, and Greer is both the marshal of the back four and the team skipper, and I just happen to think Gus aint too happy about this keep happening.

That's all, day and night warrior.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And in reply, I said it's not working perfectly well is it, we've thrown away 12 points this season by giving away leads, usually by sitting too deep, which is Gus's scriticsm in his post match interview, and Greer is both the marshal of the back four and the team skipper, and I just happen to think Gus aint too happy about this keep happening.

lol @ warrior, I have been on an embarrassingly long post fest this weekend I agree, however... we have conceded 29 goals with our defence this season, why on earth do you think that is good reason to drop our CB and captain?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
When I looked at a few of the teams put out the other day in response to the signing of Ulloa and how we might look, one of the first things that hit me was our CB pairing. Gus has pretty well replaced everything from L1 with the exception of Barnes and Bridcutt and I'm afraid I can see AEA and GG both being replaced in the summer.

No disrespect to either but it might be the final part(s) of the jigsaw. Our defensive record is good but from what I've witnessed there haven't been too many frightening attacking forces on show this season and with Bridcutt in magnificent form and the way we smother midfield we make it difficult for teams to pull our defence apart.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This thread is EXACTLY the same as all the others on him.

Ultimately, what's so difficult to understand? He's been here so long people have now decided he's the weaklink, and he technically is because we've improved all over the pitch and the centre backs are the position which is unchanged since the League 1 title winning team. Gordon Greer has been fantastic and I do not come anywhere close to subscribing to the "he's been poor this season" because he hasn't. At all. But in the summer we will upgrade our centre back options and I suspect he'll move on, but to another Championship team where he'll do well. If we're serious about getting into the Premier League, and it's obvious we are, we need to have Premier League standard players in all positions. Adam El-Abd, mainly due to his age, will stick around with Lewis Dunk but we'll need atleast one TOP centre back with pace, aerial ability, technical ability and a proper winner. It's a bit of an ask, and it's easy to get it wrong (Leicester paid £5million for Matt Mills thinking he was the answer!). I would like two new centre backs in the summer to continue our progression, and it could be our only real priority. If we can get Bridge signed up on a permanent deal and maybe lose Brez or Ankergren and get in a higher quality number 2 (not a priority at all though), we could be pretty set. Providing we keep everyone we want to...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I didn't want a debate thanks. I just stated what I think, and what a lot seem to be thinking, that GG is beginning to struggle. Your statistics about goals conceded this season do not reflect the recent form guide.
Look, I have no problem with differing opinions, yours is fine, the bloke's commitment is unquestionbale. But if you think GG will be there when we advance to the Prem before September 2015 then I beg to differ.

I learnt today that TB has placed a sizeable bet on this, so he will want to make sure, which is encouraging.

If you didn't want a debate, why would you post your view on a public message board? Just for return comments that say 'oh yes, we think the same as you, lets go for a coffee'...???

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] actually do give sensible answers, unlike yourself [MENTION=3743]seagullwedgee[/MENTION], but I'm sure you'll use their words as your own.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yesterday we did very little wrong second half. Their equaliser was simply a dreadful mistake from the normally brilliant Pole. Other than that, we were seeing the game out very well I thought.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] actually do give sensible answers, unlike yourself [MENTION=3743]seagullwedgee[/MENTION], but I'm sure you'll use their words as your own.

I've been saying it for a while, as has [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION]. We've said it to each other, in fact.

Personally, I rate Greer as being our best defender but that doesn't mean to say he's what you want if you're challenging for the Premier League. He has the technical class and he has the positional sense, but he's just a level below the top 6 in my opinion. I don't class that as a criticism though. We finished 13th in League 1 and then signed him from Swindon, today we're 8th in the Championship wanting promotion to the Premier League. Our progression has overtaken him I'd say, and there's no shame in that.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm sorry but he is infinitely better than Greer in the air. Greer is integral to the way we play but I think we are currently looking for a CB who can take us to the next level.

Do you think the project is in danger of being derailed - & settling into mid-table obscurity - if the football club doesn't loosen the purse-strings & bring in a quality replacement (who can obviously immediately step up to the plate)? :jester:

Ferg

Dec 1, 2012
Bexhill
Gordon our captain

And no-one can fault his effort, commitment and contribution...........

But in my view he is starting to look like the weakest link in the team. Both goals beaten in the air today. he's starting to look pedestrian, he backs off too much to buy himself turning time.

Thank you for your great contribution GG, but I think Bridders should take the armband now, and Dunky, or a new signing, should step in.

I wish Liam or Wayne had handed out the same sort of abuse that Greer does weekly to the others when he fell asleep on the first goal ! I think you will find it was Al Abd on the second and Kuszczaks first fatal mistake of the season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do you think the project is in danger of being derailed - & settling into mid-table obscurity - if the football club doesn't loosen the purse-strings & bring in a quality replacement (who can obviously immediately step up to the plate)? :jester:

Loosen the purse strings? Are you sure? We just laid out around 2.5 million for a player and I believe offered around the same for the Dutch boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here