Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer - been good for us....

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Doubt he would be good enough if we went up but finding CB's that have the composure Greer has to pass out and not hoof the ball won't be easy..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I did wonder where the first 'player/manager out' thread would come from after today but I have to say I'd have had Greer at about 4-1 to be the first. Money lost.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Greer now slows the game down to his pace which could be total carnage if Theo Walcott plays.

In my view his last season with us.

Be interesting to see what happens when his contract runs out at the end of the season. The offer of a new contract or otherwise will give an indication of our intention and ambitions

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Be interesting to see what happens when his contract runs out at the end of the season. The offer of a new contract or otherwise will give an indication of our intention and ambitions

Can't see it happening as we are already looking at the future with that Dutch player.

All of you can slate me as much as you want but I am afraid El Abd will not feature soon either, great shame as well but he will not meet future requirements.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
On occasion he's an absolute hero, but for the most of the time he leads the backline, and that includes Kuszczak too. Is he a physically completely dominant centreback at all times? No, he isn't, but that tends to be El Abd's job, unless he's up against Chris Wood. He's a boss with a decent pass in his boots and good enough to play at this level. In the past month or so he's been in rollicking form, with a killer longball or two in his cannon. More defenders are needed in the longrun but Greer isn't one to toss to pastures new just yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can't see it happening as we are already looking at the future with that Dutch player.

All of you can slate me as much as you want but I am afraid El Abd will not feature soon either, great shame as well but he will not meet future requirements.
I like El Abd but if we are to progress he will be a casualty. What surprises me is that he doesn't give away more penalties with his man handling of strikers.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Interesting, one of GG best qualities is the calmness he plays the ball out of defence lot CB's just hoof the ball away, this for me is the reason he plays every week.

How very dare you defend him on a whinge thread!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
People have been saying we have the best FBs in the league, amazeballs midfield. Our strikers are OK and we've just spent big on a good looking forward. Koosh despite today is a cracking keeper for this level.

Only thing that's not excellent was our CBs. They were a strength but have not been upgraded in a couple of season when every single other part of the team has been transformed, probably twice over.

They are far from bad but yes this is the most logical place to try and upgrade next and invest some money. Dijk would be most welcome!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What I'd like to ask is, in terms of the Championship and PiG's howler today, where do we stand in goals against in the league?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I was at the game today, and GG did make 2 great blocks, fair play to him, and I'm trying to not to criticise him, but watch the replays fro both goals, freeze frame them, he mistimes his run and jump for the first, which ended up an unchallenged glacning header. And for the most of the second half he got no change out of Zigic 9which is probably harsh, because not may do).

he does sit off and buy himself a couple of yards, watch the game closely, and if youve ever played CB you'll know what i mean.

This thread was simply intended to start the debate, not to bury the bloke whose commitment is 100%.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was at the game today, and GG did make 2 great blocks, fair play to him, and I'm trying to not to criticise him, but watch the replays fro both goals, freeze frame them, he mistimes his run and jump for the first, which ended up an unchallenged glacning header. And for the most of the second half he got no change out of Zigic 9which is probably harsh, because not may do).

Wow, were you ever about in the 70's pre video recorder and we all thought Hansen and Lawrenson were Gods of the art of centre back, bet they made mistakes too?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was at the game today, and GG did make 2 great blocks, fair play to him, and I'm trying to not to criticise him, but watch the replays fro both goals, freeze frame them, he mistimes his run and jump for the first, which ended up an unchallenged glacning header. And for the most of the second half he got no change out of Zigic 9which is probably harsh, because not may do
he does sit off and buy himself a couple of yards, watch the game closely, and if youve ever played CB you'll know what i mean.

This thread was simply intended to start the debate, not to bury the bloke whose commitment is 100%.
Why start this thread if your trying not to criticise the fella.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Read the words muppet, he's been good for us, great commitment and contribution, but starting to look pedestrain against good quality opposition. That's all.

we all face the 'end of the road debate' some time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Read the words muppet, he's been good for us, great commitment and contribution, but starting to look pedestrain against good quality opposition. That's all.

we all face the 'end of the road debate' some time.

Why do you resort to name calling? Look at our defence and goals against this season and give one good reason why you'd break up one of the best back fives in the Championship? These are stats not dreams.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I speak to a lot of albion fans, and most of the time peeople are reluctant to crtique the skipper'sgame, because he is the skipper. There is a swell of opinion amongst albion fans that GG is now on the down slope. I wish he wasn't because I love the bloke for what he is and what he has done, but I just happen to agree with a the groundswell that he is past his best, and we need better, in the air and on the floor if we are to progress.

Just an opinion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I speak to a lot of albion fans, and most of the time peeople are reluctant to crtique the skipper'sgame, because he is the skipper. There is a swell of opinion amongst albion fans that GG is now on the down slope. I wish he wasn't because I love the bloke for what he is and what he has done, but I just happen to agree with a the groundswell that he is past his best, and we need better, in the air and on the floor if we are to progress.

Just an opinion.

Respect your opinion, but why, I ask again, break up the first or second best defence in the Championship? Why? And if he's not one of the better CBs then tell me a team that has a better one purely on the stats we have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here