Gordon Greer - been good for us....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Read the words muppet, he's been good for us, great commitment and contribution, but starting to look pedestrain against good quality opposition. That's all.

we all face the 'end of the road debate' some time.
Your not to clever at debating so here is a muppet joke for you.

Attachments

• muppets.jpg
    muppets.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 58

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I didn't want a debate thanks. I just stated what I think, and what a lot seem to be thinking, that GG is beginning to struggle. Your statistics about goals conceded this season do not reflect the recent form guide.
Look, I have no problem with differing opinions, yours is fine, the bloke's commitment is unquestionbale. But if you think GG will be there when we advance to the Prem before September 2015 then I beg to differ.

I learnt today that TB has placed a sizeable bet on this, so he will want to make sure, which is encouraging.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I didn't want a debate thanks. I just stated what I think, and what a lot seem to be thinking, that GG is beginning to struggle. Your statistics about goals conceded this season do not reflect the recent form guide.
Look, I have no problem with differing opinions, yours is fine, the bloke's commitment is unquestionbale. But if you think GG will be there when we advance to the Prem before September 2015 then I beg to differ.

I learnt today that TB has placed a sizeable bet on this, so he will want to make sure, which is encouraging.

You did want a debate, hence you started the thread, otherwise you'd have just stated it somewhere quietly and left it at that, you've seeked attention by it. The form guide is the best way to work out what is good and what is not, in layman's terms. If the form says we have the first or second best defensive record in the league that means our defence and covering midfielders are doing an exceptional job, do you agree? So, what do we do? Break up an exceptional defence? I personally don't think so, and I'm speaking purely football here.

As far as advancing to the PL, I am assuming you mean promotion, I can think of about half a dozen replacements, so why single out Greer? We have to get there first, and as of this moment he is an integral part of one of the tightest defences in the league, so I fail to see your argument to have him hoofed out. In fact I'm thinking now you are fishing and I've been hooked, because you cannot be serious, to paraphrase a brat, or you have no idea about footy, although I prefer to think you are having a moment.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Tiresome. Opinions differ, get used to it. Just because I think he is on the downslope doesnt make him a bad player, or make me a bad fan, after 36.5 years!

Go to bed and stop being so angry! Are you getting any?!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tiresome. Opinions differ, get used to it. Just because I think he is on the downslope doesnt make him a bad player, or make me a bad fan, after 36.5 years!

Go to bed and stop being so angry! Are you getting any?!

So you name call to other posters that disagree with you and try to belittle my opinion? Can I suggest you don't start a thread where you don't want an opinion? I don't care how long you have been a fan, if that makes you feel superior fair play, for your information I have been a supporter of over 40 years, but that isn't essential reading. If we sign someone else on his 'downslope' of having the meanest defence we'll have done well. If you can back up your original post without belittling people I suggest you give up and shut up. You are attention seeking, no more and no less. Congratulations you trolled well.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Ouch. Suggests you're in your 50s or maybe 60s, which maybe answers my question..........

!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
i've just noticed your post count, 6 and a half grand in 2 and a bit years - that's massive!

You must spend most of your life on here - which might also answer my question!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So what exactly has this got to do with the original question to which I disagreed with what you said? Sounds to me like you have run out of answers and are just belittling people (not just me) that disagree with you. Your intelligence level makes me want to mock you, but I have always been taught not to mock the afflicted. Now if you cannot debate like an adult, go to bed and don't turn on NSC. I disagree with you, that is no reason for you to try to insult and belittle people. I just gave you some facts, whether you like it or not, they are the facts. Quoting post counts makes you look a hell of a lot more stupid than me. Stick to your subject matter sonny.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I think without intending to, I have got under your skin. Either that or you've just had a bad day.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
On occasion he's an absolute hero, but for the most of the time he leads the backline, and that includes Kuszczak too. Is he a physically completely dominant centreback at all times? No, he isn't, but that tends to be El Abd's job, unless he's up against Chris Wood. He's a boss with a decent pass in his boots and good enough to play at this level. In the past month or so he's been in rollicking form, with a killer longball or two in his cannon. More defenders are needed in the longrun but Greer isn't one to toss to pastures new just yet.

Absolutely agree with this. Still good enough for me too.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
GG hasn't been at his best this season but personally I think since the turn of the year his form has actually improved.

In the long term we do need to look at other CB's without a doubt but I don't think there is a need to panic just yet. Our missed opportunities again yesterday led to us defending deeper and deeper in the last 10mins something we always seem to do when leading by a single goal. We need to learn from our mistakes and not defend so deep rather than looking to pick out one individual who I thought had a pretty good game yesterday.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
In fairness to GG I suspect that most centre backs struggle in the air against Vidic or whatever he's called - he's 6' +++++!!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
And no-one can fault his effort, commitment and contribution...........

But in my view he is starting to look like the weakest link in the team. Both goals beaten in the air today. he's starting to look pedestrian, he backs off too much to buy himself turning time.

Thank you for your great contribution GG, but I think Bridders should take the armband now, and Dunky, or a new signing, should step in.

It depends on how you judge the quality of a CB, if you're looking at no-nonsense crazy defending then he isn't one of the best but if you want someone who bosses the team and ensures we conceed as few as possible then he's pretty good. I think he is a decent championship CB

My opinion is he has the mind of a top class CB but the pace of a great-grandfather and therefore will be around for a long time, our central defence is certainly the weakest area which is why we often play with 2 defensive midfielders to cover them which ultimately leaves us short in numbers in front of goal

However, If we had been scoring half of the decent chances that we have been creating this season we would be in the top 2 and the defence wouldn't ever have a thread about them needing to be replaced

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Greer has the calmness and awareness but clearly lacks pace but where he is real getting done is on corners. We concede a lot of goals from corners and like yesterday, it is usually his man who gets a yard clear for a free header - lack of pace over 2 yards does him and costs us.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We're not a big side and one of the advantages of Big Leo is that he'll be able to help out at set pieces. If our 6'2" centre forward is as good in the air as everyone hopes then he should add some welcome inches (oo er missus) to our defence. Let's face it, GG seems to be happier with the ball at his feet rather than on his "napper".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We're not a big side and one of the advantages of Big Leo is that he'll be able to help out at set pieces. If our 6'2" centre forward is as good in the air as everyone hopes then he should add some welcome inches (oo er missus) to our defence. Let's face it, GG seems to be happier with the ball at his feet rather than on his "napper".

Just like Murray used to do :wink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that it is possible that Gus will go back on his Adam El Abd being the best defender at the club and perhaps replace him with a big central defender to win balls in the air and allow Greer to play the football on the ground . Just to throw a name in the plot as the type of player that I think that we may go for is a William GALLAS, big experienced nearing end of his career or a similar type but young player with the future in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports