Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Murray - Building Bridges

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'm sure he really wanted to stay. He had to think long and hard about joining palace. I don't think he did it out of spite. He went for the money, its his job. No player loves a club. We all like to think they do, unless they are born in that Town and have been at the club from day one. If a premiership club came in for Murray, he would be gone.

I was really angry when Murray left, and I was just as pissed off when he scored but honestly I'm over that Palace match. The match was a complete circus at the end, and the FFS Murray just made light of the whole sitation.

I would have thought the obvious reason was that he didn't have to relocate, just a short hop up the M23.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I would have thought the obvious reason was that he didn't have to relocate, just a short hop up the M23.

Which is pretty ironic considering he was supposedly unhappy for 90% of his time with us because he wanted to move back up north.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
I was talking to someone today who sat behind his parents at the Palace game and they were saying that he didn't really want to leave.
I said if he dropped some of his contract demands he wouldn't have had to ?

Wish we still had him though !

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He was poached by Palace.

I don't think the Albion wanted to disrupt their wage ceiling. If Glenn Murray is good enough for the Premiership, I think we should have paid the extra. It is sort of 50/50.

I'm right with US; I think Murray handled himself with considerable dignity, when you think of the abuse he got from the North Stand at corners (don't know about the rest of the stadium, but that's where I sit). As for Mr Bloom's wage ceiling, I think he is making a mistake at this level. I'm not suggesting we should pay Premiership wages and end up like Southampton, Pompey or Leeds, but to compete at this level, we've got to be paying wages parallel to other Championship clubs. Now I haven't a clue what wages we pay, but I know for a fact that when we played Ipswich in 2005-06 the wages their bench earned were more than our entire playing staff, and I can't see them having fallen. If Palace, given their recent history, are offering a good bit above us for someone who is clearly up to this level, whatever the nonsense some on here said, then that shows we are not currently in the same league. I don't know who (Bloom or Gus) chose not to offer Murray what he was after, but whoever it was dropped a clanger. Gus's attempts to get Billy Paynter in the transfer window showed how difficult it is to replace a forward like Murray.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Let me rephrase that - we may have been playing championship football but GM goals was a reason we went up automatically

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair play to Glenn Murray for the donations and for generally doing the right thing throughout our 1-3 drubbing. Respect for that :clap2:

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
We know why he left.

2 year deal offered by the Albion at X a week

3 year deal offered by Palace at X + 2k a week + signing on fee.

It's his job, what would you do?

Only £500 a week more, so I'm reliably informed.
He desperately wanted to stay, Gus just didn't fancy him.
Apparently he even wanted to impress against us so that maybe Gus might bring him back on loan...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd like to know how Uncle Spielberg knows that it is him who made the donations. Wasn't there a time when 'Scott McGleish' was supposed to have done something similar when it was a wind up? I'm not saying that REMF haven't had a donation but is it really Murray who made it and how would he know about the charity?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I get the feeling that a deal was (almost?) struck with CMS last January (when he agreed to stay at Post til the end of the season) so the Albion didn't try that hard to keep GM. Also I'd bet that CMS's contract is way above what GM wanted/was offered.

Who knows how GM will fare over the season. He played ok for 45 mins and very well for 45 mins against us (and if Ankergren had been in a better position or dived GM wouldn't have scored).

I'm all for giving him stick when we play Palace....but that's all.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I get the feeling that a deal was (almost?) struck with CMS last January (when he agreed to stay at Post til the end of the season) so the Albion didn't try that hard to keep GM. Also I'd bet that CMS's contract is way above what GM wanted/was offered.

Who knows how GM will fare over the season. He played ok for 45 mins and very well for 45 mins against us (and if Ankergren had been in a better position or dived GM wouldn't have scored).

I'm all for giving him stick when we play Palace....but that's all.

If you wanted to get rid why did one of the Albion players (Bridcutt I think) go in the "Argus" in May saying the team all wanted him to sign a new contract then? Would seem a bit daft if the rest of the squad were keopt in the dark about the postion.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Apparently he even wanted to impress against us so that maybe Gus might bring him back on loan...

that sounds like utter crap to me...if Gus didnt fancy him, he wouldnt have offered a new contract would he?

Glenn was great for us last season & his contirbution all over the pitch helped get us to where we are now. I always liked him & I wish he had stayed with us-something which I think he wanted too. I refused to abuse him in THAT game & thought he behaved with dignity given the circumstances. Still hate that he's gone to Palace but I wish him well personally.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'd like to know how Uncle Spielberg knows that it is him who made the donations. Wasn't there a time when 'Scott McGleish' was supposed to have done something similar when it was a wind up? I'm not saying that REMF haven't had a donation but is it really Murray who made it and how would he know about the charity?

I like to think anyone who has been involved with BHAFC as a supporter, player or management knows about the REMF over the last 10 years. I am 99% sure it is Glenn Murray.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It wasnt just wages, it was that Gus finds the attitude of a player almost as important as ability. Murray by all accounts was a bit of a loner and Gus and Bloom weren't going to offer huge wages to someone that Gus found difficult to manage, despite his ability. Rightly or wrongly that happened. However, not paying Murray those wages still gives us consideralbe clout in the transfer market with wages. To be honest, we aren't doing too bad without him although I agree at this moment, I'd rather have him.

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
First line = correct.
Second line = Why offer him a contract?
Final line = I wish I hadn't agreed with the first line and I hope it's a joke.

Anyway, we're happy to have him, and he's been seen out on nights out with the rest of the team, so safe to say he's one of the lads and not a loner with us.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you wanted to get rid why did one of the Albion players (Bridcutt I think) go in the "Argus" in May saying the team all wanted him to sign a new contract then? Would seem a bit daft if the rest of the squad were keopt in the dark about the postion.

player neegotiations aren't done by "committee" and there's no reason why the other players (in general) should be consulted or informed. It's between the club and the player (+agent). What else could Bridcutt say ..... "we're not bothered if he signs" or " we don't want him to sign"!!!!!!!

35yearstop2divs

May 16, 2011
i would very surprised if bids didnt come in for him in jan . from what ive seen hes got it all , good with both feet , good in the air , strength on ball and what really impresses me about him is how good he is defensively. like the interviews hes done aswell no brash arrogant stuff , if carries on like he has been he will be in prem next year as there is a lack of his type of forward around i.e traditional british forward but with genuine quality

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here