Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Now the campaign is over I feel a slight sense of bereavement. Slightly disappointed that it didn't produce any real moments of note like "bigot-gate" or "Belgrano" but things are so stage-managed now that is to be expected. Well, let the drama unfold...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:lolol:

It ranks alongside New Labour was really a Conservative Government and the economic crisis was nothing to do with Labour, honest gov.

You are obviously aware that a number of the country's leading economists have come out and explained how the global economic crisis was absolutely not Labour's fault, right?

I'm guessing you know better than them though, obviously. Silly me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Now the campaign is over I feel a slight sense of bereavement. Slightly disappointed that it didn't produce any real moments of note like "bigot-gate" or "Belgrano" but things are so stage-managed now that is to be expected. Well, let the drama unfold...

if Miliband becomes PM the stone of Labour commandments might be often seen, and i'd expect the promise to not make any agreement with SNP to be repeated alot. its been pretty unmemorable generally. main parties concern most with just keeping their core vote interested and not drawing middle, floating voters in. theres been no message on why i should vote for a main party, only why i shouldnt vote for the other.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You're calling 2010 as a Labour victory?

You're calling 2015 as a Labour victory? 4/1 to get the most seats - lump on.

I'm sure you are misunderstanding to serve your own rhetorical purposes, but just in case:

I'm not making any predictions, just pointing out that your triumphalism was celebrating something which has slightly failed to meet expectations. Its a bit like a Derby fan crowing because they came eighth this year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sure you are misunderstanding to serve your own rhetorical purposes, but just in case:

I'm not making any predictions, just pointing out that your triumphalism was celebrating something which has slightly failed to meet expectations. Its a bit like a Derby fan crowing because they came eighth this year.

What am I celebrating exactly? I DO need you to tell me as I genuinely didn't know I was celebrating anything.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What am I celebrating exactly? I DO need you to tell me as I genuinely didn't know I was celebrating anything.

In which case please accept my apologies for my misinterpretation. It's just that your first post, I'm sure completely unintentionally, seemed to contain a tiny undercurrent of gloating about the poll movement since HT's OP.

Here's hoping you are still not celebrating anything after tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In which case please accept my apologies for my misinterpretation. It's just that your first post, I'm sure completely unintentionally, seemed to contain a tiny undercurrent of gloating about the poll movement since HT's OP.

Here's hoping you are still not celebrating anything after tomorrow.

Oh, let's be clear about something: HT was celebrating a Labour government way, way too early and if there's one thing we do know already it is that there won't be a Labour government after this election.

There may be a Labour plus someone/others government, but not a nice and cosy Labour majority.

FWIW, I still don't know who I will be voting for tomorrow but aside from that triviality, we've got a fascinating few days ahead of us.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Oh, let's be clear about something: HT was celebrating a Labour government way, way too early and if there's one thing we do know already it is that there won't be a Labour government after this election.

There may be a Labour plus someone/others government, but not a nice and cosy Labour majority.

FWIW, I still don't know who I will be voting for tomorrow but aside from that triviality, we've got a fascinating few days ahead of us.

You're right that HT went too early, but I'm sure we are all glad he did as it has led to nearly 600 pages of the usual excellent NSC mix of bickering, squabbling, ranting and nonsense.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Heres what I reckon may happen

It won't be a strong majority for either Labour or Tory it will be hung parliament again

Cameron will try and do another coalition with Clegg just to stay in power - Miliband will see what happens for a while and do a coalition in a few weeks if he can't get policies through alone. Remember that the SNP and other left parties will vote with Labour even without a coalition pact.

Just remember this - Its a outright lie that the economy has improved since the Tories got power, Labour spending and policy was poor and contributed to the debt but when they lost power it the debt wasn't as bad as the tories are saying and its doubled under them. Do your own research its all out there - in 2007 Osbourne is on record as saying they were going to spend the same as labour.

All these parties are Lying about how and if they will clear the debt.

The Tories are saying they will make £12billion pounds worth of cuts clear it - The institute of fiscal studies have said there is no way that would happen or clear it.
The libs have said they will lear the debt by chasing people who evade taxes - The institute of fiscal studies have said this won't work either
Labour have said they will borrow the money and use growth to pay it all off - The institute of fiscal studies have said this is the best plan and it could work BUT Labour can't/won't explain how they will borrow it and without more explanation they can't back it.

All these parties can't be trusted because they are lying about how they will clear the debt - none of them seem to have clue about what to do.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You are obviously aware that a number of the country's leading economists have come out and explained how the global economic crisis was absolutely not Labour's fault, right?

I'm guessing you know better than them though, obviously. Silly me.

Dont be too critical on yourself. Only yesterday Yellen blamed financial regulation. The governments of the US and Uk sat by and watched, indeed courted this. Hhey owned the regulation. Anyway i am in Truce mode

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Heres what I reckon may happen

It won't be a strong majority for either Labour or Tory it will be hung parliament again

Cameron will try and do another coalition with Clegg just to stay in power - Miliband will see what happens for a while and do a coalition in a few weeks if he can't get policies through alone. Remember that the SNP and other left parties will vote with Labour even without a coalition pact.

Just remember this - Its a outright lie that the economy has improved since the Tories got power, Labour spending and policy was poor and contributed to the debt but when they lost power it the debt wasn't as bad as the tories are saying and its doubled under them. Do your own research its all out there - in 2007 Osbourne is on record as saying they were going to spend the same as labour.

The Tories are saying they will make £12billion pounds worth of cuts clear it - The institute of fiscal studies have said there is no way that would happen or clear it.
The libs have said they will lear the debt by chasing people who evade taxes - The institute of fiscal studies have said this won't work either
Labour have said they will borrow the money and use growth to pay it all off - The institute of fiscal studies have said this is the best plan and it could work BUT Labour can't/won't explain how they will borrow it and without more explanation they can't back it.

All these parties can't be trusted because they are lying about how they will clear the debt - none of them seem to have clue about what to do.

Agree with must of the sentiment,cespecially the trust point. But the economy i in much better shape and growing at one of the best rates in the developed world. Cant please everyone i guess but i would prefer this than the shambles Labour has left the last twotimes in power.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they certainly are all telling porkies, but thats not what the IFS have said exactly. for a start, the cutting 12bn is perfectly possible, just no one know where it will fall. there was a 85Bn overspend the past year, there's places to cut. the question is what services suffer, not is it possible. second point, both Labour and Liberals have made grand statments of what they'll do with tax avoidance, and the problem here is that they havent said what taxes they will change. chasing tax avoidance is tax rises by another name. thridly, you cant grow an economy at 1-2% and expect 85Bn overspend to get swallowed up, aint going to happen, so that policy is just fundementally flawed. you have to do more and nothing is being proposed.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think Green is the only sensible long term option for any of us. The problem is, people say they are Green, but in practice they find them unpalatable.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think Cameron has been lack lustre and presumptuous. Milliband has done reasonably well. The Tories have patted themselves on the back for a recovery that would have happened anyway due to low oil prices and them carrying on printing money. Most of the benefits have gone to the wealthy. Let's give Labour another try.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think Cameron has been lack lustre and presumptuous. Milliband has done reasonably well. The Tories have patted themselves on the back for a recovery that would have happened anyway due to low oil prices and them carrying on printing money. Most of the benefits have gone to the wealthy. Let's give Labour another try.

Not been impressed by any of them frankly, but just can't bring myself to risk Labour getting their hands on the economy. Will be a 'somewhat reluctant Tory' but expecting a constitutional mess and a re-election anyway.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Not been impressed by any of them frankly, but just can't bring myself to risk Labour getting their hands on the economy. Will be a 'somewhat reluctant Tory' but expecting a constitutional mess and a re-election anyway.
Yeah maybe. Better the Devil you know. On reflection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here