Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Funnily enough that's up over 500 points 3.25 % today, well above the mid June level. Best if people stick to mentioning the weakness of the pound if they want to wallow in negativity.

It's not wallowing, it's facts. Saying the FTSE 100 is up 10% is pretty meaningless. A 3% in the FTSE 250 is interesting when presented with context - that being Carney's 0% rates and Osbourne's business rates cut. Is that good for the UK economy long term? No, of course it isn't. It's a plaster on a major bleed. Thankfully Cameron f**ked off quickly so the whole PM debacle didn't drag on for longer or Stirling would have taken another hit. You can wave 3% or 10% all you like, but the fact is you need to look at FTSE 250, the broader S&P index or Midcap and factor in the cuts to business rates if you want to build a full picture of how our economy is fairing, and it isn't rosy.

But lets not let facts get in the way of an agenda.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's not wallowing, it's facts. Saying the FTSE 100 is up 10% is pretty meaningless. A 3% in the FTSE 250 is interesting when presented with context - that being Carney's 0% rates and Osbourne's business rates cut. Is that good for the UK economy long term? No, of course it isn't. It's a plaster on a major bleed. Thankfully Cameron f**ked off quickly so the whole PM debacle didn't drag on for longer or Stirling would have taken another hit. You can wave 3% or 10% all you like, but the fact is you need to look at FTSE 250, the broader S&P index or Midcap and factor in the cuts to business rates if you want to build a full picture of how our economy is fairing, and it isn't rosy.

Plus Article 50 has not yet been invoked and subsequent negotiations have have not yet hit an impasse/gone 100% smoothly for the UK delegation etc. We have a new PM in place far sooner than expected, but this is still to me just the phoney war stage of Brexit. Nothing that matters has happened yet.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I didn't vote tory BUT I do know a lot of people vote for the leader...I quote often hear people say I wouldn't vote for him/her etc etc..To think people don't is Naive.
I think your comment is Naive.

At the last election you would often hear me say I wouldn't vote for Gordon Brown because I think he's a ****ing idiot. But then again I wouldn't have voted for any Labour leader. I am not a great fan of David Cameron, even less so after the mess he got himself into over Brexit, but then I would say I'd vote for him, because I vote Tory. If David Cameron was Labour leader, I would have said I'm not voting for him.

I would imagine very very few people vote for a PM. They vote for the party no matter who is leading it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I agree the FTSE 100 performance is less relevant although not altogether meaningless.

Nah it's wallowing in negativity as your 'context' (agenda) shows. The 3% jump in the 250 had nothing to do with Carney or Osborne it had everything to do with the surprise resolution of the Tory Leadership election.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the economic outlook is rosy, it's still to early to tell how this will play out but the continual focusing on only the worst indicators or moving the economic indicator goal posts is equally agenda driven.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
A bit like choosing Player of the Season, people have their various reasons for voting the way they do.

It can be...

• a party allegiance
• a vote for the candidate
• a vote for the party leader / Prime Minister
• a vote against a given candidate
• a vote against a given party leader

Or a combination of two or more of the above.

But that's by the by. Your vote is for a candidate. Your reason for your vote can be any one or more of the above - or possibly further reasons still.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
a) When the FTSE 100 was falling it goes:: WE'RE ALL DOOOMED JUST LIKE I SAID
b) When the FTSE 100 recovers it goes: IT'S NOT RELEVANT ANYWAY SO IGNORE IT

I'm confused.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I agree the FTSE 100 performance is less relevant although not altogether meaningless.

Nah it's wallowing in negativity as your 'context' (agenda) shows. The 3% jump in the 250 had nothing to do with Carney or Osborne it had everything to do with the surprise resolution of the Tory Leadership election.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the economic outlook is rosy, it's still to early to tell how this will play out but the continual focusing on only the worst indicators or moving the economic indicator goal posts is equally agenda driven.

I did offer the context of the swift leadership election, so not sure how that's an agenda at all. I'm pointing out there's various factors involved in economic strength and looking at one indicator isn't scientific.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
With regards to the issue of whether a snap election is necessary because we don't elect prime ministers. I am inclined to agree that we don't elect prime ministers, however in the long term the only thing that will matter is public perception as to whether Theresa May has a mandate. Technically she may well have one, as did Gordon Brown.... didn't seem to do him any good though did it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
a) When the FTSE 100 was falling it goes:: WE'RE ALL DOOOMED JUST LIKE I SAID
b) When the FTSE 100 recovers it goes: IT'S NOT RELEVANT ANYWAY SO IGNORE IT

I'm confused.

If you're confused, I'm sure I can help clear that up.

The FTSE 100 has fallen then risen again. In that time, the pound has lost more value (good and bad) and the chancellor has had to cut corporation tax from 20% to 15%, which represents an enormous fall in revenue for UK PLC (very very bad).

So while the FTSE 100 (representing an index on the value of our top 100 companies) is now what it was, it has come at the cost of a massive reduction in our tax receipts. It aint good.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you're confused, I'm sure I can help clear that up.

The FTSE 100 has fallen then risen again. In that time, the pound has lost more value (good and bad) and the chancellor has had to cut corporation tax from 20% to 15%, which represents an enormous fall in revenue for UK PLC (very very bad).

So while the FTSE 100 (representing an index on the value of our top 100 companies) is now what it was, it has come at the cost of a massive reduction in our tax receipts. It aint good.

Most investors these days are international rather than domestic.

The FTSE 100 is down 9.5% in dollar terms over the last month, so it is a significant fall. Those who are saying it has risen are taking the movement at face value, which is fair enough, but the reasons for the rise are not due to FTSE 100 companies earning up to 95% of their earnings from overseas.

It may bounce back, it may not, time will tell.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Lighten up you lot, none of you have a clue the Remainers are dying for their doom predictions to be proved right, whilst us Outers just think that the forecasts of economic catastrophe isn't going to happen as we predicted.

The argument and counter argument reminds me of when I am with my erstwhile mates that love a gamble on the horses (I dont), they all read the form, love and hate the jockeys and horses and then generally do their bollocks, whilst us part timers bet on number 7 coz we like the name and we win.

But by christ it doesnt stop them 'analysing' and counter 'analysing' their initial bets and offer up reasons for their lost fortunes, its typical bluster from people that are no way skilled enough nor near enough to the action to ever really be trusted with their predictions, just like those offering a view, any view to disparage some recent gains, the skill isnt to put your spin on what you think has happened, that is already history, give me some %'s on predicted gains/losses for tomorrow, next week, next month and next year and we can revisit it all and see if you got lucky or not.

Last edited:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I know nothing about the financial market. but surely now we know our future is not in the eu everyone needs to stop moaning about the choice of the majority, stop the negativity and move on. that would be the best way to improve our economy surely. the longer everyone is being negative the longer it takes business to trust the fact we can prosper without the eu.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Pound rising back above the $1.30 mark to which it fell, has also risen .6% against the euro. FTSE 100 hits an 11 month high, FTSE 250 rising .8%, shares in the property sector continuing to rise.

Let's hope it continues.

larus

Remember that the FTSE plunged on the very prospect of Brexit. We're still in the EU for a couple more years at least. If this is what happens with just the idea of Brexit then I'll leave it with you to think about what will happen when (if) we leave the EU permanently. Until the Lib Dems run on a "Get us back into the EU" ticket or something!

Well, today Siemens (which warned us against Brexit) has today said that it's investment in the UK will not change. Shock, horror. What, you mean that these really were LIES from the REMAIN camp.

Same as the £30bln bugdet.
Same as interest rates needing to rise.

IT WAS ALL BULLSHIT.

There may be some short/medium term volatility, but the sun will keep on rising, we will keep trading and the economy will keep doing OK.

And big business will still screw the workers :(.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

That would have upset the SNP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here