FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
"Leadsom was one of the faces of the leave campaign and was likely to favour a 'hard Brexit'; that is, meaningful restrictions on free movement that is simply incompatible with access to the single market. In contrast, Theresa May backed the campaign to remain in the EU and, although she has Eurosceptic tendencies, it is widely thought that Theresa May is more likely to seek a soft Brexit," says Daniel Vernazza, Lead UK Economist at UniCredit

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/5168-gbp-to-usd-forecast-999033

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
But didn't you know that the FTSE 250 is much more representative of the British economy? Up another 0.6% today.

The FTSE250 was up slightly today (as it was yesterday). Mainly because of the pound bounce following confirmation of the new PM. Also due to May's statement that she will not trigger article 50 until next year.

As I said on the first page: check again on December 31st once second/third quarter results have been posted. The FTSE100 will have dropped a thousand points.
I'd expect the 250 to drop more than that, though this depends more on the performance of Sterling (not Raheem - then we'd really be screwed) and the BoE than anything else.

Last edited:

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
Lighten up you lot, none of you have a clue the Remainers are dying for their doom predictions to be proved right, whilst us Outers just think that the forecasts of economic catastrophe isn't going to happen as we predicted.

The argument and counter argument reminds me of when I am with my erstwhile mates that love a gamble on the horses (I dont), they all read the form, love and hate the jockeys and horses and then generally do their bollocks, whilst us part timers bet on number 7 coz we like the name and we win.

But by christ it doesnt stop them 'analysing' and counter 'analysing' their initial bets and offer up reasons for their lost fortunes, its typical bluster from people that are no way skilled enough nor near enough to the action to ever really be trusted with their predictions, just like those offering a view, any view to disparage some recent gains, the skill isnt to put your spin on what you think has happened, that is already history, give me some %'s on predicted gains/losses for tomorrow, next week, next month and next year and we can revisit it all and see if you got lucky or not.

I get my stock market and financial advice from a ginger cat called Orlando:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jan/13/investments-stock-picking

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
The FTSE250 was up slightly today (as it was yesterday). Mainly because of the pound bounce following confirmation of the new PM. Also due to May's statement that she will not trigger article 50 until next year.

As I said on the first page: check again on December 31st once second/third quarter results have been posted. The FTSE100 will have dropped a thousand points.
I'd expect the 250 to drop more than that, though this depends more on the performance of Sterling (not Raheem - then we'd really be screwed) and the BoE than anything else.

Another happy chappie

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Around 5680 and 15700 on December 31st then.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I find it amusing that some of the same people who chose to ignore the markets in the days after the brexit are now looking to them for reassurance that they made the right choice.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Assume you are cleaning up on the markets as you know what's going to happen.

#Ftsebythebollocks

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I find it amusing that some of the same people who chose to ignore the markets in the days after the brexit are now looking to them for reassurance that they made the right choice.

You're missing the point, it was you guys that thought it meant something, us Leavers just assumed it was likely get back to prior to Brexit similar levels, either the week, month or a few months later, it was you lot wringing your hands and suddenly becoming market experts and trying to educate us oiks on the complication of understanding the markets and the imminent crash that we again were too simple to even understand .....

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm pretty sure it's a riposte to the people who were quoting the value of sterling and the FTSE as it dropped the day after the vote.

Lets be honest, nobody on this thread has a clue what any of this means.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You're missing the point, it was you guys that thought it meant something, us Leavers just assumed it was likely get back to prior to Brexit similar levels, either the week, month or a few months later, it was you lot wringing your hands and suddenly becoming market experts and trying to educate us oiks on the complication of understanding the markets ........

Should have clarified that I don't just mean on NSC. But it has certainly been the case that many people I know in favour of leaving didn't want to hear from the experts, bankers and financial sector workers who forecasted a downturn. But now, they're all talking about the FTSE like it's some kind of proof that they were right all along.

Also, I have no idea about finance at all and you have no idea how I voted. So you can forget about the "you lot" part.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Think your find they were saying back then that they will bounce back which they have and will, reassuring the Doom and Gloomers.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lets be honest, nobody on this thread has a clue what any of this means.

This is the point.

If I knew, really knew what the market was going to do as so many keyboard experts on here seem to suggest, I'd be too busy spunking my millions up the wall on coke and hookers in my weekend crash pad in Monaco to be posting on NSC.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Lighten up you lot, none of you have a clue the Remainers are dying for their doom predictions to be proved right, whilst us Outers just think that the forecasts of economic catastrophe isn't going to happen as we predicted.

The argument and counter argument reminds me of when I am with my erstwhile mates that love a gamble on the horses (I dont), they all read the form, love and hate the jockeys and horses and then generally do their bollocks, whilst us part timers bet on number 7 coz we like the name and we win.

But by christ it doesnt stop them 'analysing' and counter 'analysing' their initial bets and offer up reasons for their lost fortunes, its typical bluster from people that are no way skilled enough nor near enough to the action to ever really be trusted with their predictions, just like those offering a view, any view to disparage some recent gains, the skill isnt to put your spin on what you think has happened, that is already history, give me some %'s on predicted gains/losses for tomorrow, next week, next month and next year and we can revisit it all and see if you got lucky or not.

Well,this remainer is certainly not dying for any doom predictions to be proved correct. That would just be plain daft.
We are where we are and we have to get on with it. Only a halfwit would wish doom and gloom upon the country.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Another happy chappie

Another one who understands the markets.

Around 5680 and 15700 on December 31st then.

5600 for the FTSE100 I expect. Hard to be certain due to currency swings but, yeah, those are ballpark numbers that I'd look at.

Assume you are cleaning up on the markets as you know what's going to happen.

#Ftsebythebollocks

I will enjoy the excellent buying opportunity when it drops, yeah.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Think your find they were saying back then that they will bounce back which they have and will, reassuring the Doom and Gloomers.

As has been made clear on this thread, they have NOT bounced back, they have gone down signifcantly, but the devaluation of the pound makes them seem more valuable.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As has been made clear on this thread, they have NOT bounced back, they have gone down signifcantly, but the devaluation of the pound makes them seem more valuable.

Look, Notters, don't be bringing your fancy mumbo jumbo fact nonsense into this.
The Sun said that all is great again, so it must be true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports