Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

Yoda

English & European
Think your find they were saying back then that they will bounce back which they have and will, reassuring the Doom and Gloomers.

The next tests will be when Article 50 is activated and the months/years in between when we actually do leave.

The FTSE250 (most of the British Companies are in here not the 100) is still 500pts down on pre Brexit.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I know nothing about the financial market. but surely now we know our future is not in the eu everyone needs to stop moaning about the choice of the majority, stop the negativity and move on. that would be the best way to improve our economy surely. the longer everyone is being negative the longer it takes business to trust the fact we can prosper without the eu.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The next tests will be when Article 50 is activated and the months/years in between when we actually do leave.

The FTSE250 (most of the British Companies are in here not the 100) is still 500pts down on pre Brexit.

But it still better news yes?

Brexit, what Brexit? Shares near 2016 highs
LONDON | BY PATRICK GRAHAM

Stock markets traded within sight of their highest levels this year on Wednesday as the prospect of stimulative economic policy across the developed world eased immediate concern over Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

The swift moves by the Conservative Party that see Theresa May replacing David Cameron as prime minister on Wednesday have helped fund a recovery that, aside from sterling itself, has wiped out the negative reaction to the June 23 vote.

Asian markets outside Japan .MIAPJ0000PUS gained another third of a percent to come within a hair's breadth of the year's highs from April, while European shares rose 0.2 percent, on course for their fifth straight day of gains. .FTEU3

Traders say that concerns over the economic and political impact of what promise to be torturous exit talks between London and Brussels have not gone away, but they are certainly on the back burner for a moment.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The FTSE250 was up slightly today (as it was yesterday). Mainly because of the pound bounce following confirmation of the new PM. Also due to May's statement that she will not trigger article 50 until next year.

As I said on the first page: check again on December 31st once second/third quarter results have been posted. The FTSE100 will have dropped a thousand points.
I'd expect the 250 to drop more than that, though this depends more on the performance of Sterling (not Raheem - then we'd really be screwed) and the BoE than anything else.

I think it also depends on the amount of QE and other lending. The BoE has already promised up to £250bn of additional easing, and has given the green light (encouraged) commercial banks to lend up to £150bn more - these are huge figures, which should both encourage investment and depress bond yields. Hence, two good reasons to move more into risky assets, esp equities.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Look, Notters, don't be bringing your fancy mumbo jumbo fact nonsense into this.
The Sun said that all is great again, so it must be true.

You cannot keep stripping out factors, any factors to invalidate any current gains, the market is what the market is, based on performance, competitiveness and a little bit of fairy dust.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still early days and there will be plenty of volatility ahead. Investors are ploughing into safe heavens and few are taking big risks right now.
FTSE100 is OK but the UK but is just 2.6% of global GDP so most global companies aren't too bothered, they'd will be more concern if Europe goes t1ts up.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Still early days and there will be plenty of volatility ahead. Investors are ploughing into safe heavens and few are taking big risks right now.
FTSE100 is OK but the UK but is just 2.6% of global GDP so most global companies aren't too bothered, they'd will be more concern if Europe goes t1ts up.

Which it may well do when the Italians and the Greeks pull out.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What have the Roman's ever done for us ? wouldn't Greece leaving the Euro double its value the only thing iv'e been able to find Greece contributing to anything at all was the 2 day working week and alcohol that makes you look like Tom Selleck after 2 swigs .

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
What have the Roman's ever done for us ? wouldn't Greece leaving the Euro double its value the only thing iv'e been able to find Greece contributing to anything at all was the 2 day working week and alcohol that makes you look like Tom Selleck after 2 swigs .

If Greece left the average retirement age in the EU would go up 10 years. They all sit in the sun swigging retsina and retire at 50 and wonder why their country is going down the toilet.!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If Greece left the average retirement age in the EU would go up 10 years. They all sit in the sun swigging retsina and retire at 50 and wonder why their country is going down the toilet.!

But to some extent, thats their business, or it should be anyway rather than been given the Euro even when they couldn't fulfil the financial criteria and I have some sympathy why would we expect them to act like a northern European country, European countries are not all the same and personally I like that, I have heard the Spanish sleep too much in the afternoon and the Italians love a back hander, wheres the surprise ..............

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Which it may well do when the Italians and the Greeks pull out.

Must admit Brexit has kept Greece out of the news, they should bite the bullet and leave the Euro currency

Heard a journalist last night says it was time for the UK to start borrowing more and compared out debt to GBP was low compared to the others like Italy. Just hope Brexit doesn't mean we throw away our fiscal rules, the 2020 surplus target has already disappeared and we're only 3 weeks in

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Must admit Brexit has kept Greece out of the news, they should bite the bullet and leave the Euro currency

Heard a journalist last night says it was time for the UK to start borrowing more and compared out debt to GBP was low compared to the others like Italy. Just hope Brexit doesn't mean we throw away our fiscal rules, the 2020 surplus target has already disappeared and we're only 3 weeks in

What fiscal rules? Osborne and CMD just made it up as they went along, breaking every financial "rule" they made and making up new ones before breaking those as well. You really believe that Osborne would ever have achieved a budget surplus by continuing with the same policies when he'd completely failed thus far?

He has used the referendum vote to conveniently sweep the fact that his economic plan has been a disaster under the carpet.

Look at the new plan (or rather knee jerk reaction), economic stimulus...er... investment in major projects..er... no need to run a surplus etc. Everything sensible people were saying they should have done six years ago instead of making things worse on every level with "austerity".

And yet you're worried that we're going to throw away some sort of imaginary "fiscal rules" that never actually existed.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
But to some extent, thats their business, or it should be anyway rather than been given the Euro even when they couldn't fulfil the financial criteria and I have some sympathy why would we expect them to act like a northern European country, European countries are not all the same and personally I like that, I have heard the Spanish sleep too much in the afternoon and the Italians love a back hander, wheres the surprise ..............

No surprise........just reinforces that you can't put all these different economies and lifestyles under a common currency and expect it to work.!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What fiscal rules? Osborne and CMD just made it up as they went along, breaking every financial "rule" they made and making up new ones before breaking those as well. You really believe that Osborne would ever have achieved a budget surplus by continuing with the same policies when he'd completely failed thus far?

He has used the referendum vote to conveniently sweep the fact that his economic plan has been a disaster under the carpet.

Look at the new plan (or rather knee jerk reaction), economic stimulus...er... investment in major projects..er... no need to run a surplus etc. Everything sensible people were saying they should have done six years ago instead of making things worse on every level with "austerity".

And yet you're worried that we're going to throw away some sort of imaginary "fiscal rules" that never actually existed.

I do hear what you are saying, I posted a here a year ago saying there was no way Osbourne would get to surplus by 2020, some crazy tax giveaways that were needed, not least inheritance tax.

Maybe I'm just comparing it with what is being talked about now, ie massive further borrowing as a stimulus. For me if we afford then don't it then don't do it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here