Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football's nice, but it's not the most important thing.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I like football, but sometimes it seems to me that some people almost turn it into their religion, which is their choice, but is a wrong thing to do in my opinion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like football, but sometimes it seems to me that some people almost turn it into their religion, which is their choice, but is a wrong thing to do in my opinion.
Treating your slavish devotion to a football club like a religion, is certainly slightly extreme, but pretty harmless.

Slavish devotion to an ACTUAL religion is equally weird IMO, and way more dangerous.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why is it wrong ? Surely 'worshipping' something real is far better than something made up such as an all powerful sky being ? Regardless of your opinion I'm quite happy to say my church is the Amex.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
In my experience, it takes a life-changing event like the passing away of a parent to put things in context. True. But the emotional and time investment in the Albion is something I'll never regret. Never.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Once hooked, I was in the mid-70's, you're addicted to the opium of football and clubs for life. Leading in my experience to an emotional rollercoaster.

To key to ameliorating the emotional dips, imho, is to vent your spleen briefly and then disengage if you can until the next game. Having other passions is great therapy too.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mental Health Support GIF by INTO ACTION

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Nope it's not that important. ( I wonder how many weekends this season will f*** up?)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I struggle to relate to people who have zero interest in sport (not just football). Probably all but 1 of my mates are sports fanatics, and the one who isn't - well, we can talk about other stuff, but I still find it a bit weird.

My other half is a long way from being a sports fanatic, but she DOES carry a passing interest. She always wants to know how BHA got on, and has humoured me throughout this Ashes series with questions about "what does that mean then..." within the ebb and flow.

It doesn't have to be a "religion". But people who actively have zero interest are always missing out on something truly special, IMO.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Are you the guy who reckoned the antichrist had been on a marketing and brand-awareness course and had decided he needed his own flag?

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

Football is nothing like religion. It's got a rule book that was written by some crusty old white guys but keeps changing because it's outdated. People congregate at the weekend in the same large structure to appreciate it, but rarely ask themselves why,. It is shrouded in myths of purity, beauty and universal values but in reality its mired in deep seated corruption, politics and greed. Over the last 50 years safeguarding protocols have needed to be radically improved And, there's one self appointed gobshite in the middle dressed differently, who's loudly trying to remind everyone of the rules but being largely ignored.

Completely different.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Football is the most important thing about football.

I find endless football talk as dull as ditchwater. I keep abreast of all the news on here and on the website and quite enjoy a chat about us here and there but it’s pretty low down on my list of passions. Prefer just to watch games.

However, I think true passion is wonderful and so if someone loves something, be it football, films, music, fishing, hiking.. whatever. It’s great to see.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here