Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Even the British Legion hate the bnp

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Julian Amery had a very honourable war.

As for myself having been educated at a comprehensive rather than a third rate Public school I've never quite mastered the art of the convincing lisp.

Brighton College a third rate public school! How dare you sir! Seems to me you've got a little bit of a chip on your shoulder about that, especially when BC is currently in the top 20 independent schools in the UK.:rolleyes:

Quite right - I stand corrected, although you will appreciate the point being made.
Nah. Feel free to have a pop at Julian Amery as well as his brother, John Amery. John may have been hanged for treason in 1945, but his brother had some fairly unsavoury associates as well.

In particular, I cannot believe his claim that he didn't know about the background of Giorgio Almirante, the Italian fascist who was wined and dined by Amery in Brighton in the 1970s. Towards the end of WW2, Almirante was personally responsible for organising the fascist death squads who shot the uncle of an Italian friend of mine. Amery seemed to take the view that Almirante was merely a politician with interesting ideas.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nah. Feel free to have a pop at Julian Amery as well as his brother, John Amery. John may have been hanged for treason in 1945, but his brother had some fairly unsavoury associates as well.

In particular, I cannot believe his claim that he didn't know about the background of Giorgio Almirante, the Italian fascist who was wined and dined by Amery in Brighton in the 1970s. Towards the end of WW2, Almirante was personally responsible for organising the fascist death squads who shot the uncle of an Italian friend of mine. Amery seemed to take the view that Almirante was merely a politician with interesting ideas.

Same could be said of your favourite London politician, Ken Livingstone's approach and "support for IRA figures". (to quote Tom Harris, the well-respected Labour MP and blogger).

Anyhow, this thread digresses. Can no-one spot the obvious flaw in Griffin's argument citing political correctness amongst the higher echelons of the Royal British Legion?

It's actually political neutrality rather, that the RBL are trying to protect by not wanting to side with any political movement. The political correctness label from BNP is just a load of old flannel in an attempt to try and avoid answering difficult questions. Griffin is simply playing a game. The longer he wears it the more people associate him with a long established and much respected institution. It gives him credibility and deflects from the arguments of where his loyalties would have been in WWII.

His argument for continuing to wear it is pathetic. It's not up to the Royal British Legion to administer acute healthcare to injured servicemen and women. Nor are they directly or indirectly responsible for any alleged maltreatment of servicemen at an NHS hospital.

This is what he's referring to:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-408577/Calls-military-wards-protect-troops-abuse.html

Quote from the BNP site:
“I will be delighted to stop wearing a poppy badge except near Remembrance Day the moment that the Royal British Legion and the authorities stop the disgraceful treatment and exploitation of our soldiers at Selly Oak,” Mr Griffin said, adding that he “fully accepts that amongst those who have made sacrifices for this country in our armed forces, especially during current conflicts, are servicemen and women from the ethnic minorities. My stance is as much on their behalf as it is for their indigenous British comrades,” he said.

Ridiculous stance and very churlish by Griffin. Also interesting to note that he seems not to give a toss though to those injured that are not "indigenous". Which is nice.

What an absolute plank that bloke is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here