Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] European Semi Final 2022 -- England v Sweden --

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A triumph for England, if not one for diversity in the women’s game.

Really? I was convinced our team was more than 90% female :shrug:

In seriousness.....it is what it is....pool of available players and that. One thing it isn't is racism. Any more.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A triumph for England, if not one for diversity in the women’s game.

There's an awful lot of diversity in that team, I assure you. Just not in the way you mean (and I know you're just fishing anyway).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cracking game again.

So enjoying this tournament. Trying to take my low expectations attitude from the usual England games into the next one, but getting rather excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I think that’s the point - it doesn’t matter what the standard may or may not be, it was fun. Something that seems to have gone out of PL games.

Or something that seemed to have gone out of England (men’s) games. Tonight, instead of berating myself for wasting 2 hours I’d never get back, I am wishing I could have those 2 hours again and again!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think that’s the point - it doesn’t matter what the standard may or may not be, it was fun. Something that seems to have gone out of PL games.

Yep.

I do tire somewhat of folk talking about the standard. I don't know why it keeps being mentioned. We know. If folk don't like it then don't watch it and take their moans elsewhere.

I thought it was so enjoyable again tonight. And we can look forward to Sunday without any of the scenes we saw last year. When England women do well you can really enjoy their progress without all the crap that comes with it.

What's not to like ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yep.

I do tire somewhat of folk talking about the standard. I don't know why it keeps being mentioned. We know. If folk don't like it then don't watch it and take their moans elsewhere.

I thought it was so enjoyable again tonight. And we can look forward to Sunday without any of the scenes we saw last year. When England women do well you can really enjoy their progress without all the crap that comes with it.

What's not to like ?

Quite.

It also made a refreshing change to watch a game in which the side I wanted to win scored four times, with four different scorers; each goal with more than a touch of either class or cheek - a one-touch swivel and well-struck shot, a good corner met with a booming header, an extremely cheeky back heel, and a well-thought through one touch lob. Refreshing too to watch a performance from the keeper for my side which included a worldie save and did not include a ridiculous short pass directly to an opposition player ( :whistle: )

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Quite.

It also made a refreshing change to watch a game in which the side I wanted to win scored four times, with four different scorers; each goal with more than a touch of either class or cheek - a one-touch swivel and well-struck shot, a good corner met with a booming header, an extremely cheeky back heel, and a well-thought through one touch lob. Refreshing too to watch a performance from the keeper for my side which included a worldie save and did not include a ridiculous short pass directly to an opposition player ( :whistle: )

Yep. Not since 7th May when Brighton beat Man Utd scoring four times with four different scorers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Or something that seemed to have gone out of England (men’s) games. Tonight, instead of berating myself for wasting 2 hours I’d never get back, I am wishing I could have those 2 hours again and again!

Yes. Ok the fact we won is obviously a factor, but I enjoyed that more than I've enjoyed about 90% of England men's games over the last 50 years - and more than a lot of Albion games.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yep. Not since 7th May when Brighton beat Man Utd scoring four times with four different scorers.

Yep! That hits 4/6 of my points. No worldie save (not required of course v United); no ridiculous short pass to an opposition player, allowing them to score.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can anyone explain why White starts instead of Russo?

I thought Wrighty and 'Alec' Scott gave a pretty good explanation after the game. Essentially White can't do the 'supersub' role as well as Russo (i.e. doesn't have the pace, trickery, etc), but will put in the hard work and tire oppo players out during the first part of the game, leaving them to be blown away when Russo comes on. I didn't watch the first half last night, so didn't see much of White, but the second part certainly was true. I guess it's a bit like – but maybe not – when teams see Lamptey coming on at 70ish minutes and think 'Bugger chasing him around, I'm fooked'

Would Russo have the same impact from the off? Who knows, but it's a tough call changing a winning team that's just got to a final by beating the favourites 4-0 :eek:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Woohoo, England are deservedly in the final of Euro 2022! Some great goals especially Russo and I'm so pleased for Kirby after a rough couple of years shes had.
So looking forward to going to Wembley on Sunday!!! Eng-Ger-Land!!!

Exactly ... and like I said earlier in the thread (around half time) I thought Kirby was excellent. She's a really intelligent player ... the forward pass isn't always the right one!

Enjoy Wembley ... it's going to be a very different (in a very good way) experience to the Euro 2020 Final!!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Cracking game again.

So enjoying this tournament. Trying to take my low expectations attitude from the usual England games into the next one, but getting rather excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a little too excited when Russo's cheeky goal went in ... I was told off by Mrs HS for jumping out of my chair and cheering a bit too loudly as I scared the cat :lolol:

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Yep.

Exactly! Because Premier League players on mega mega salaries never make mistakes do they!

The women's game will continue to improve and this tournament can only help with that.

And no added time in the first half because there were no faked injuries or time wasting. And in the second half the trainers only came on when Stanway (?) took a ball to the side of her head from very close range.

The men could (should) learn from the women's game!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There's been all this talk about the ball being in play for only 55 minutes in a game. I would like to see what the figures are for these Euro's, as I reckon it will be much higher. Much. It just flows all the time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The highlight for me was the young girl at the end dancing: the sheer joy and exuberance of it all.

Let's hope this England team inspires thousands more girls like her

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I got a little too excited when Russo's cheeky goal went in ... I was told off by Mrs HS for jumping out of my chair and cheering a bit too loudly as I scared the cat :lolol:

My cat joined in the celerbrations :smile:

frankie-lionesses.JPG

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Exactly! Because Premier League players on mega mega salaries never make mistakes do they!

The women's game will continue to improve and this tournament can only help with that.

And no added time in the first half because there were no faked injuries or time wasting. And in the second half the trainers only came on when Stanway (?) took a ball to the side of her head from very close range.

The men could (should) learn from the women's game!

Exactly! You get people moaning about women goal keepers, but I am sure I watched Robert Sanchez make a howler on Saturday passing directly to the Reading player that resulted in a pen for them.

Maybe it's just humans that make mistakes not a specific gender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here