Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] European Semi Final 2022 -- England v Sweden --

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Tuesday, 26 July Venue: Bramall Lane, Sheffield Kick-off: 20:00 BST

So tonight is the night, if your lucky enough to be going it should be a wonderful atmosphere, if not I implore you to switch on the googlebox, it will be tense and sure to be exciting too.

Sweden are a bit of a boogie side, we have played each other 26 times.
Won just 3
Lost an astounding 15
Drawn 8

So with that and the national football habit of chocking means the odds are stacked against the Lionesses, hopefully the ladies can show the men just how it is done, and with vocal home support carry the team over the line.

Georgia Stanway rocket sent our Amex Stadium mad last week and I was lucky enough to be there, Lucy Bronze was also immense that night.

So get behind the ladies tonight folks.
It is my birthday today, the wife and daughter are away in Michigan for another week, feel a bit lonely to be honest and need cheering up a bit and hopefully a place in the final will do just that.

Come on England.

https://youtu.be/Hhxn3-HdL-0

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not astounding that Sweden has historically better results as it took 25 years longer for you to accept that women play football and that you can invest in that. But all of that has changed in recent years. I wouldn't say "the odds are stacked against England"... you are clear and obvious favorites in this game because you've played better, got less squad issues and the home advantage.
Which is just fine. We love the underdog role both in men's and women's football.

I think England are going to fit us a lot better than eg Belgium and other teams that just defend for 90 minutes. High pressure and quick counter attacks. Overall I don't think there will be many goals though. 1-1 and then a Sweden win on penalties.

If Sweden doesn't win, then I hope England would win the tournament as it would be great for growing the interest in women's football. Could also be revolutionary in some senses - wouldn't surprise me if Sarina Wiegmann would be the first female manager in the EFL.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Been to both the England games at the Amex and absolutely loved it! Still re-watching the Stanway winner - cracking! Completely different atmosphere to a league game, but in a good way. I'm not good at watching on the telly box though, always get nervous, but really hope we can win tonight and win on Sunday!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
'Boogie team'? ??? :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So if England lose they can simply blame it on the boogie.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
flight-to-stockholm-international-airport-departures-board-travelling-to-sweden-conceptual-d-ren.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can someone please calm Mike Wedderburn down on Sky Sports News?? Said he's already 'shaking with nerves' and there's still more than 9 hours to kick off.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Sweden are currently ranked number 2 in the world, so despite all the talk from some quarters about England being favourites and 'should' win, I think it will be a tough game especially given our record against them. We do have a good squad, very well organised by Wiegman so I am hopeful for this evening though I hope we don't go behind like we did against Spain - not sure my nerves can take it!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It is my birthday today, the wife and daughter are away in Michigan for another week, feel a bit lonely to be honest and need cheering up a bit and hopefully a place in the final will do just that.

Firstly, happy birthday PF! What are your plans for the game tonight?

Anybody in the Brighton area (or further afield) fancy meeting up tonight to celebrate PF's birthday and an England win?

(Sorry Swanny!)

Watching the REMF game with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was a whole lot of fun, so I'd be well up for seeing you all.

Any suggestions? I see Mendoza's Caxton Arms (conveniently near Brighton Station) is showing the game.

Who's in? :smile:

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some great photos from the 1984 match played on a beautiful (pre plastic) Luton pitch in front of, what looks like, 27 people.

Was a couple of thousand people.

The English FA asked pretty much every team near London if they would host the game, everyone said no except for Luton as they were just about to rip up the pitch anyway to replace it with artificial grass. None of the teams (at least not the Swedes but not England either I think) were allowed to train on the pitch or on any other pitch for that matter. The Swedish team found some kind of park with endless amounts of dogshit. A lot sure has happened since then.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Firstly, happy birthday PF! What are your plans for the game tonight?

Anybody in the Brighton area (or further afield) fancy meeting up tonight to celebrate PF's birthday and an England win?

(Sorry Swanny!)

Watching the REMF game with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was a whole lot of fun, so I'd be well up for seeing you all.

Any suggestions? I see Mendoza's Caxton Arms (conveniently near Brighton Station) is showing the game.

Who's in? :smile:

I would like too, but have a large tender to finish before the weekend, and I am struggling to hit the deadline, I was in work until 9pm last night, back at 6:30am this morning and tonight I will probably have to stay until 7pm tonight then back in at 6:30am and repeat until done.

Enjoy though, I will be watching with a take away and large glass of Kraken Coffee Rum.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I would like too, but have a large tender to finish before the weekend, and I am struggling to hit the deadline, I was in work until 9pm last night, back at 6:30am tonight and probably have to stay until 7pm tonight and back in at 6:30am and repeat until done.

Enjoy though, I will be watching with a take away and large glass of Kraken Coffee Rum.

Ah, no problem.

If England make it through, maybe we could do something for the Final on Sunday.

Enjoy your birthday today regardless! Here's to a double celebration!

:birthday: :goal: :whisky:

Jul 7, 2003
Sweden are currently ranked number 2 in the world, so despite all the talk from some quarters about England being favourites and 'should' win, I think it will be a tough game especially given our record against them. We do have a good squad, very well organised by Wiegman so I am hopeful for this evening though I hope we don't go behind like we did against Spain - not sure my nerves can take it!

Sweden 3/1 to win in 90 minutes which seems pretty good value

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sverige: Hedvig Lindahl - Hanna Glas, Linda Sembrant, Magdalena Eriksson, Amanda Ilestedt - Filippa Angeldahl, Kosovare Asllani, Nathalie Björn - Sofia Jakobsson, Stina Blackstenius, Fridolina Rolfö.

Didn't expect Jakobsson to start her first game, but makes sense as she is a quick counter-attack player. Captain Caroline Seger still out unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here