Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] European Semi Final 2022 -- England v Sweden --

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's been all this talk about the ball being in play for only 55 minutes in a game. I would like to see what the figures are for these Euro's, as I reckon it will be much higher. Much. It just flows all the time.

We'll probably get some info about that when UEFA release their technical report after the tournament. Agree it feels like it is above those 55min.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The highlight for me was the young girl at the end dancing: the sheer joy and exuberance of it all.

Let's hope this England team inspires thousands more girls like her

Yup, loved that as well. She's just been interviewed on BBC Breakfast with her gran.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Last night was rather special I have to say. :D

I am so delighted for the England Lionesses with the way and style they played in reaching the final. What an atmosphere in the Broadway, Haywards Heath last night! As many ladies as men watching such a special occasion.

Rather hungover this morning. Oh well, bloody train strikes! Not that any work would get done anyway. :mad:

Can't wait until tonight for Germany v France. Should be a cracker! French are the more frightening with their pace but Germany press so hard and their mentality could well be stronger as France have never been this far.

Once again, well done England Lionesses! punk:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can't wait until tonight for Germany v France. Should be a cracker! French are the more frightening with their pace but Germany press so hard and their mentality could well be stronger as France have never been this far.

This, should be a great game, I am not sure who I want to win this to be honest, I think we would have a better chance of victory over France, but being from German extraction, I would like a German, England final so I can't claim victory either way :D Obviously I want England to always win, but we know only too well that Germany are masters at breaking our hearts. I hate losing to France as well, that would be awful, just awful..

I am confident this team will smash whoever anyway, so I am worrying about nothing.
:drink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Exactly! You get people moaning about women goal keepers, but I am sure I watched Robert Sanchez make a howler on Saturday passing directly to the Reading player that resulted in a pen for them.

Maybe it's just humans that make mistakes not a specific gender.

Can't remember if I posted it on here, but there's clearly an issue with the fact that the average height of a female (goalkeeper or not) is less than the average height of a male, but they play in the same sized goals. Therefore someone who is 5ft 10 is going to concede far more goals than someone who is 6ft 5!

The 'quality' argument is probably mainly from old school people who think football should only be played by men. A touch of insecurity comes to mind...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can't remember if I posted it on here, but there's clearly an issue with the fact that the average height of a female (goalkeeper or not) is less than the average height of a male, but they play in the same sized goals. Therefore someone who is 5ft 10 is going to concede far more goals than someone who is 6ft 5!

The 'quality' argument is probably mainly from old school people who think football should only be played by men. A touch of insecurity comes to mind...

….agree. Most of those laughing at the Swedish keeper for the backheel wouldn’t have saved it - no way was she expecting the ball to come back at her at that point (and view obscured by the legs of one of her defenders) with Russo running away from goal. The flap at Kirby’s chip was a bigger mistake IMO.

Leave the goals as they are anyway, always good to see more.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

I've always thought it is a bit odd that women's football uses the same size goals as men's, plenty of other sports have different height/size specifications for the men's competition vs women's

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always thought it is a bit odd that women's football uses the same size goals as men's, plenty of other sports have different height/size specifications for the men's competition vs women's

Bear in mind the recent history….where the women have been graciously allowed to use the pitches when the men, kids, veterans and pub sides don’t have bookings.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

When the size of the goals was decided like a 150 years ago, men on average were the same size that women on average are now. Perhaps the solution to this "problem" would be to make the men's goals bigger?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Women played football before men did (circa 1880) but were banned by the FA in 1921. It took 50 years for the old dinosaurs at the FA to finally allow it again.
Women have been playing catch up since then.
Crowds of 50,000 used to watch in 1918.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/49319292

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Bear in mind the recent history….where the women have been graciously allowed to use the pitches when the men, kids, veterans and pub sides don’t have bookings.
Yes, I suspect you're right - it would be quite a big change, not just to the women's game but also the infrastructure.

On the other hand though, it would be unimaginable in sports like volleyball (where the net is about 7 inches taller for men) to have the same height net for both. But that's much easier to change as the posts are designed for both.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Firstly, happy birthday PF! What are your plans for the game tonight?

Anybody in the Brighton area (or further afield) fancy meeting up tonight to celebrate PF's birthday and an England win?

(Sorry Swanny!)

Watching the REMF game with [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was a whole lot of fun, so I'd be well up for seeing you all.

Any suggestions? I see Mendoza's Caxton Arms (conveniently near Brighton Station) is showing the game.

Who's in? :smile:

Sorry mate, just seen this. We've been away in Devon on holiday. Just back in time for the final.

Let me know if you're at a game this season or watching one in the pub

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here