Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-abd signs new contract

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Meanwhile Adam El-Abd has signed a new deal with Albion after a string of impressive displays under new boss Poyet.

The versatile defender was out of contract in the summer, but he has been handed a new deal until June 2011.

How I long to hear TCB's reaction!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:down:
Gutted, I thought Gus was looking to improve the squad.

But that said, Gus wants 22 players in the squad for next season and we all know El-Abd is as good at left back as he is at right back and centre back, so that is going to help the squad in terms of being able to replace players who aren't performing. It's not bad to have a utility man (and not a one position man being played in many positions...) but when that utility man isn't particularly good in any position (not to my liking, anyway), it does make you question Gus' judgement of players.

It's better to sort it out now than the end of the season though in my opinion.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Been our best player this year, bar Forster imo, top class performer. :clap2:

Ninja, you proclaim he isn't good in any position, what about the fact he has been solid at several different positions in the last year or two?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ninja, you proclaim he isn't good in any position, what about the fact he has been solid at several different positions in the last year or two?

Personally, he's not the type of player I like. And I would contend that the word 'solid' doesn't mean the same thing as the word 'good'. It's safe to say I wouldn't have been rushing to get him on a longer contract, but Gus clearly rates him quite highly and at the very least, he works extremely hard for the team. That's not enough for me, personally, but there you go. All I can do is comment on the goings on, I can't determine them. :(

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Personally, he's not the type of player I like. And I would contend that the word 'solid' doesn't mean the same thing as the word 'good'. It's safe to say I wouldn't have been rushing to get him on a longer contract, but Gus clearly rates him quite highly and at the very least, he works extremely hard for the team. That's not enough for me, personally, but there you go. All I can do is comment on the goings on, I can't determine them. :(

At LB this season he has been SUPERB, I really don't understand your opinion, do you not agree that he has been one of our best performers in the last year, surely this justifies him getting a contract if you do?

And I'd say if a player does a good job at playing CB, DM, RB and LB that makes him a ruddy good player, switching positions every season really isn't easy I'm sure you understand.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
its great news, theres no doubt at all that he deserves it. whats better is the fact that at last we are rewarding a player now rather than waiting till hes out of or nearly out of contract. thats a big step towards being a proper football club again.

micheal64

micheal64
Jan 6, 2010
eastbourne
pleased for the lad , allways gives 100 % in my eyes , not the most natureally gifted player ive ever seen , but his attitude and love for the club is spot on .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
At LB this season he has been SUPERB, I really don't understand your opinion, do you not agree that he has been one of our best performers in the last year, surely this justifies him getting a contract if you do?

And I'd say if a player does a good job at playing CB, DM, RB and LB that makes him a ruddy good player, switching positions every season really isn't easy I'm sure you understand.

I would contest the "superb". I don't agree he's been one of our best performers, he's been consistent in an inconsistent team. Individually, I don't think he's good enough in any 1 position to get in the side ahead of the other players we have here. As I said earlier in the thread, the fact he can play in many positions and the fact Gus wants a 22 man squad for next season means that we do need to have players who can play in many positions. But individually, I don't think he's very good. Consistency is what we're looking for though, and if nothing else he has a terrific attitude and he is experienced. I'd have him as a regular on the bench, but not in the first team when better players are fit.

I play football, and I have a lot of respect for all our players because it's a difficult game, and much harder than people appreciate. It's a very difficult game to play, which is why I don't criticise him too excessively. Again, as I said earlier in the thread, he's not the type of player I like. But we'd all do the job differently to Gus, if we could.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I would contest the "superb". I don't agree he's been one of our best performers, he's been consistent in an inconsistent team. Individually, I don't think he's good enough in any 1 position to get in the side ahead of the other players we have here. As I said earlier in the thread, the fact he can play in many positions and the fact Gus wants a 22 man squad for next season means that we do need to have players who can play in many positions. But individually, I don't think he's very good. Consistency is what we're looking for though, and if nothing else he has a terrific attitude and he is experienced. I'd have him as a regular on the bench, but not in the first team when better players are fit.

I play football, and I have a lot of respect for all our players because it's a difficult game, and much harder than people appreciate. It's a very difficult game to play, which is why I don't criticise him too excessively. Again, as I said earlier in the thread, he's not the type of player I like. But we'd all do the job differently to Gus, if we could.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on some points then, like I said anyway, I think rewarding players for being consistent is a good thing, played Adam. :clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

It makes me laugh that you like McNulty who has been gash this season, but you hate El-abd who has probably been our most consistent performer! :lol:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I think he's about good enough.

But I'm not a football manager,so if Nostromo thinks he's good enough,I'll go with that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on some points then, like I said anyway, I think rewarding players for being consistent is a good thing, played Adam. :clap:

That is one thing we do agree on, it's right to reward him for his consistency. And I've no doubt he has exactly the type of attitude Gus wants around the squad.

It makes me laugh that you like McNulty who has been gash this season, but you hate El-abd who has probably been our most consistent performer! :lol:

McNulty is exactly the type of player I like, that's why I like the chap. I think he's a good player who is going to be quality for us for years to come. Bear in mind that McNulty is younger than El-Abd, and less experienced aswell. He's never had a long run in a side to really get experience under his belt but when he does, he'll be quality. El-Abd is consistent and steady, you know what you're getting but personally, I would always choose McNulty ahead of him at left back.
Also, don't use the word "hate" when referring to my thoughts on El-Abd. I don't hate him, it's pathetic to hate a footballer.

Typical Ninja Elephant, the bloke can't stop waffling on about his opinions, contradicting himself as he goes. He is probably the most inconclusive poster ever to grace NSC.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Typical Ninja Elephant, the bloke can't stop waffling on about his opinions, contradicting himself as he goes. He is probably the most inconclusive poster ever to grace NSC.

This is a forum for opinions. Let me be conclusive, El-Abd = Consistent but not brilliant.

No issue is exactly one way or the other... there are two sides to everything. So sue me that I can actually see both sides of every argument and consider both before speaking. :thumbsup: Just because I don't like him as a player, doesn't mean I don't think he has value to the squad and to the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here