Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-abd signs new contract

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
It makes me laugh that you like McNulty who has been gash this season, but you hate El-abd who has probably been our most consistent performer! :lol:

I agree, he has been very consistent.

Ninja, I'm not too sure what you're expecting from him. It's unlikely he's going to be a first team regular- but hasn't he already shown his usefulness at this level?

He's a young player at 25, has played nearly 200 games for this club in the Championship and League One, is a model professional in how he looks after his body and disciplines himself and he can play right across the back four and as a defensive midfielder. Not to mention that every manager that has been at the club while he has been here has liked him. Sure, he isn't the most skilled technically. But do you want a team of Seb Caroles? I really don't see where you are coming from, and I don't see who we could bring in to improve him.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
This is a forum for opinions. Let me be conclusive, El-Abd = Consistent but not brilliant.

No issue is exactly one way or the other... there are two sides to everything. So sue me that I can actually see both sides of every argument and consider both before speaking. :thumbsup: Just because I don't like him as a player, doesn't mean I don't think he has value to the squad and to the team.

But if you think he adds value to the squad, then why did you object to Gus Poyet's decision to extend his contract..?

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
my opinion of adam is that hes an improved player this year. coxy hasnt really gone on, jake robinson never went on, but el abd has. hes a much better player than he was last year and the year before that. maybe the reason why is he doesnt whinge strives to be better and gets on with it. what he lacks in natural ability he more than makes up with his work rate and effort, theres alot of players out there who should take a leaf out of adams book.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree, he has been very consistent.

Ninja, I'm not too sure what you're expecting from him. It's unlikely he's going to be a first team regular- but hasn't he already shown his usefulness at this level?

He's a young player at 25, has played nearly 200 games for this club in the Championship and League One, is a model professional in how he looks after his body and disciplines himself and he can play right across the back four and as a defensive midfielder. Not to mention that every manager that has been at the club while he has been here has liked him. Sure, he isn't the most skilled technically. But do you want a team of Seb Caroles? I really don't see where you are coming from, and I don't see who we could bring in to improve him.

That's just it, I don't expect anything from him. Nothing at all. I just appreciate it when I see him play and he doesn't do anything stupid, which I think is kind of the opposite of what you want when seeing your team.

If you read what I said earlier in thread, I did say that his attitude probably has alot to do with his still being here and being rated so highly by Gus, and every manager since McGhee aswell.

I wouldn't want a team of Carole's (I wouldn't have signed him, whilst on that subject!), no. But I don't think that's a particularly pertinent point, because Carole isn't very good, in my opinion of course. As for not sure who we could bring in to replace him, why do we have scouts if we're not going to have a look about and find someone?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ninja,you started your previous post with the sentence, "Mcnulty is exactly the type of player I like, that's why I like the chap" So therefore I rest my case.

That was my point... I like him because the type of player I like. What's confusing about that?!

But if you think he adds value to the squad, then why did you object to Gus Poyet's decision to extend his contract..?

Because I don't think we'd miss him if he did leave. But he's not, so let's focus on the positive, and the most positive thing I can think to say about him is that he appears to have a good attitude.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He has been consistently reliable all season - not the best at any position but has rarely let us down. His positional sense seems improved and he hasn't been "skinned" as he has often been in the past. Excellent vocally he communicates well as a member of the defensive unit. Off the bench he could cover all four positions across the back if someone is having a bad day and if we need to change tactics to defend a lead he can play sweeper in front of the back four to give us added depth. 5 jobs in one! - which gives us more chance to cover attacking options with the other subs

I'm not comparing obviously, but older posters will remember Paul Madeley at Leeds - "jack of all trades and master of none" - he was invaluable in their glory years. And as mentioned, O'Shea has similar ability at Man U to give a wide range of options without appearing an exceptional talent.

I have been critical of his performances in seasons past but have to say that el Abd has earned his contract and could prove an asset.

I am especially delighted that unlike previous management regimes we seem to have the will to deal with issues in advance if necessary rather than wait until the end of the season or until so much bad blood has developed that the player is lost to us. I hope Forster gets the same respect.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
That's just it, I don't expect anything from him. Nothing at all. I just appreciate it when I see him play and he doesn't do anything stupid, which I think is kind of the opposite of what you want when seeing your team.

If you read what I said earlier in thread, I did say that his attitude probably has alot to do with his still being here and being rated so highly by Gus, and every manager since McGhee aswell.

I wouldn't want a team of Carole's (I wouldn't have signed him, whilst on that subject!), no. But I don't think that's a particularly pertinent point, because Carole isn't very good, in my opinion of course. As for not sure who we could bring in to replace him, why do we have scouts if we're not going to have a look about and find someone?

given the contract extension is it possible that gus feels that hes only going to get better with better coaching etc, meaning we are not necessarily looking for a replacement?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Thought your judge of a good player was someone who wears gloves and does stepovers though?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
given the contract extension is it possible that gus feels that hes only going to get better with better coaching etc, meaning we are not necessarily looking for a replacement?

When I spoke about scouting for a replacement, I was specifically responding to a comment from theonesmith, I wasn't saying that we were looking for a replacement and nor should we considering he's signed a new deal.

Thought your judge of a good player was someone who wears gloves and does stepovers though?

Then you thought wrongly because I've never said such a thing. The gloves and the stepovers add a bit of style to his obvious (to some) technical ability, and he has massive potential which he will, hopefully, fulfill in our stripes. :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been easily best of two defenders this season of which the other is Tunni who sadly appears to be out of favour.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
works for me, he has improved enormously and lets hope he continues to do so

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I must be in the minority then.Terrible footballer who reminds me of Mayo.How the f*** does he keep getting new deals!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here