Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-abd signs new contract

Yoda

English & European
El-Abd at full back is awfull,no pace and gets skinned far to often.As a center back he is too short to command that position.Midfield? what a joke putting him in there.

I don't think so. If he could work on his passing game a bit more, he could play that Charlie Oatway midfield terrier role really well.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
How many managers come and go? Bomber is still here. They all seem to see something in him.

I think he is a good squad player. Solid enough in an emergency, gives 100%, versatile.

I think Gus knows his onions. Same with Navarro too. Both unsung heroes.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I think El Abd is a bit like Kuipers. He's obviously not the best player in the squad but you know what your going to get and he adds abit of passion and personality to the squad.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Whing is consistent and reliable, and McNulty will prove to be aswell. To even remotely suggest El-Abd isn't a liability, and isn't likely to cost us the game is completely ignoring the last few years. I haven't forgotten the karate kick on the MK Dons player earlier in the season at the Withdean, which rightly got him sent off and played a major part in our losing a match we were worth atleast a draw in.

Obviously, that's the low point of his season and he has come back into the side and been solid enough, but I don't see him as being a first choice starter in a team which is going to get promotion out of this league. People have been saying in other threads that we need to compare ourselves to Leeds/Norwich/Charlton in terms of the players in the squad, and whether they're good enough to get us promoted or not. Would El-Abd make any of their squads?

I think in fairness he was a little unlucky against MK Dons. It was definitely a sending off but I think it was accidental on his part. His other memorable mistake this season was at Huddersfield when he sold Kuipers short with the backpass for the penalty. Having said that I am struggling to think of any other major errors this season which, considering our defence, is impressive. I agree with Poyet that he was the best defender from Poyet joining until he got injured and he seems to have cut out the mistakes that he seemed to make regularly in previous seasons.

I agree that maybe he wouldn't be a regular in the first 11 in a promotion side but if Poyet wants a squad of 22 to 25 then he needs squad players who he can rely on to do a job and El Abd is one of those. As someone else said earlier he provides cover across the defence and even defensive midfield. I am pleased he has signed but he will have to improve a lot to stay if we go up to the Championship.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Don't disagree with any of that.

In fact, Navarro is the only new signing I can think of that hasn't received "benefit of the doubt" in their first few games for the club. Strange that.

But navarro in his first few games took being shit to a whole new level, if he was any slower he'd be send back to remedial school.

Thankfully he's sorted his fitness out and is starting to look more like a footballer.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Every team needs a GRAFTER, and thats exactly what El-Abd is. He wont play 40 yard balls to Forster toe or dribble round 6 players before slotting the ball under the keeper, but he will give 100% and he will out his foot in at the important times.

We can find better players than El-Abd, but every team needs a player like him, who gives 100% every game, is a team player, will play anywhere you ask him... He is king of the utility players.

He always manages to force his way into the team anyway and what limited ability he has he makes up for with, determination, team work and strength.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He always seems to be the last player as he has more energy than the rest of the back four put together.

I seem to remember that he was genuinely one of our better players in the season we got relegated from the Championship - unless I am going senile.

Haven't seen a great deal of football this season, but from what I have seen El-Abd has been crucial. He certainly did a decent job at left-back, despite not being his natural position. He spoke about how he had been putting in extra training to play the ball off his left foot to adapt.

I know the whole 'gives 100%', 'a real grafter' and 'passionate' are not going to make you into an international class footballer, but it certainly adds to the player. He does now seem to be a jack of all trades and master of none, but that does not mean that he should be written off.

200+ appearances under 4 or 5 different managers is a decent indicator that managers are more than happy to have him in the team.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Don't disagree with any of that.

In fact, Navarro is the only new signing I can think of that hasn't received "benefit of the doubt" in their first few games for the club. Strange that.

Because he was being played ahead of Dicker when he obviously wasn't fit enough to be playing. Since he has been back in the team he has been very good, but does get overlooked because he prefers to play a short neat passing game rather then longer range passes which often go astray.

Every team needs a Navarro but very few players like him get the praise they deserve.

Because he was being played ahead of Dicker when he obviously wasn't fit enough to be playing. Since he has been back in the team he has been very good, but does get overlooked because he prefers to play a short neat passing game rather then longer range passes which often go astray.

Every team needs a Navarro but very few players like him get the praise they deserve.

I am still not buying the Navarro thing although I wish I could, both of us being scousers like. I will judge him today. The last few away game I have attended, Wycombe and Villa, he has been shit in my opinion.

All this praise for El-Abd, I wouldn't mind him playing in there over Navarro to be honest.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sorry to bounce this, but I've been without internet for two days and only just found out.

El Abd is my favourite player and I'm well chuffed that he has signed a new contract. I know he is not our most talented player and I know he hasn't performed consistently in the past. But he clearly cares about Brighton and is always willing to give 100% to the cause. I've seen El Abd play bad games, but I don't think that I've ever seen him and been left doubting his commitment.

El Abd has experience at playing in the Championship and this season has been consistently good. Even as a huge El Abd fan, I wouldn't have him playing at the moment (even if he were fit). However, I think he is a huge asset to the squad and clearly the manager is impressed by his work ethic.

I'm also glad to see that Poyet isn't willing to let player contracts run out at the end of the season. I think it is important to sign up players rather than risk them walking free at the end of the season, as Whing almost did last year.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
good squad player, makes sense to keep him. covers 4 positions well enough with bags of commitment and plenty of graft. well done adam

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Glad the guy got a contract. he deserves it after pulling his weight, playing in is least prefered position and throwing himself in to each game. He isn't our best LB but he's our covering man, who adds passion to the side, and although you can't have a team of all caring and passionate but technically limited El-Abds, you can't have a team of technically gifted but half arsed players. You need an El-Abd or two (OGH is teh other!) to inspire those less inclined to be so passionate.

heavyweightsrbest

Oct 10, 2009
I am afraid that just being passionate is not enough. El Abd has limited ability and we have too many players in this category and hence why we cannot pull away from the bottom of the league. He may be useful as a squad player but his lack of speed and ability will not get us out of the division. Assembling a team capable of promotion seems a long way off. I cannot see Tony Bloom achieving his two year target signing too many players of El Abd's quality.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well done to Adam, thoroughly well deserved, always gives 100%, versatile, plenty of positive attributes and one who can still improve.

A good decision by Gus.

:clap:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
quality bounce fella!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here